• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Sometimes having problems connecting to the site

alexc

WCA
2008COOK01
Sometimes when I click on my bookmark for this site, it takes a long time, doesn't do anything, and then it says "THE CONNECTION HAS TIMED OUT" or "THE SERVER AT SPEEDSOLVING.COM IS TAKING TOO LONG TO RESPOND." The thing is, I can load other pages fine. 15 minutes later, it might work too. I'm getting this problem more and more frequently. Some help as to what might be the problem?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Has this been happening just recently, in the last couple of days? What time of the day does it normally happen? vB sends me the errors when I get them, and I work on fixing them each time. There were 2 outages yesterday, but those were the only 2 I saw in the last couple weeks.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Can you take a screenshot and post it so I can see exactly what error you are receiving? Also, whenever you get an error, please post here so I can look into them. If people don't post errors, I can't fix them. I get an error maybe once every couple of months, so I don't know about them unless people report them. I will make an official report thread sometime soon.

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can we post errors tho if the page just straight up fails to load? I only ever get "Firefox cannot display this page" or whatever it says. Normal it will load in the next couple minutes. Very few times but not recently did I have it not load for most of the day.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Happens to me all the time, too. The tabs will just wait there, and not load, on some whim. Then I have to try once a minute, until after about 5 minutes it starts working again. It's completely arbitrary, and just silly. :(

This is also extremely annoying when I'm trying to post, and I have to keep trying to resend my post, which just remains in temporary memory in a tab I hope I don't accidentally close (I've often failed to put up posts because of the stupid server. I backup big ones as I work on them -so it's not normally fatal for me- but it's annoying having to remember everything I wrote earlier and then convey it without some more implicit anger about having to waste time writing something worse.)

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Can we post errors tho if the page just straight up fails to load?
You can either wait for the site to come back up and then post here with the error you got, or email me at pjkcards[at]gmail[dot]com, either way works. I will look into these issues, but I need to know what errors exactly are happening. Are they all just "page cannot be displayed" and never loading pages? Anything else occurring?

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
They are always "page cannot be displayed" or "time-out" problems. This has been happening for many months and just to be sure I CTRL+A, CTRL+C everything I typed before I hit the post button.

It happened to me just 10 minutes ago, 2 minutes later I retried and it worked again. During that time every other page I tried to open loaded succesfully.

Last edited:

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh yea sorry PJK I wasn't trying to be smart and be like "how can I tell you the error if I can't get to the site to tell you hehe" I meant it was a standard firefox "cannot display" or "failed to load" of "timed out" or something like that. There is never any other error.
Edit: for me it is nowhere near frequent enough for me to worry about losing what I post.

Last edited:

36duong

WCA
2009DUON01
I got it about 2 minutes ago, usually I wait a minute and hit F5 but back before I was registered on this forum (and I was browsing it) I sometimes had "Could not connects" for up to 5 minutes.

mrCage

Hi :)

Does the web hotel have any 99% uptime guarantee or anything like that? Worth checking out i guess - for refund, free extension or whatever...

VPS is also an alternative if you can afford it. (throught the v-cube 7 competition perhaps?) And if you don't do so already. Take your own backups of scripts and databases. Once weekly should be ok. Do NOT trust 100% a webhotel's own backups :-(

- Per

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Per,
It will be on a VPS soon, but right now I am not on a stable enough connection to do the move/backups, etc. Once it gets on the VPS, there will be next to no downtime. But until then, we have to bare with what the current server gives us. Today has been a bad day with it.

As far as making money via the V-Cube contest, I doubt it will happen, although it would be nice to help pay the costs. It is hard to get people to donate, even when you have a chance to win a $100 puzzle.