• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New 3x3x3 Cube : MoYu ChiLong

• Thread starter Deleted member 19792
  • Start date

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Apparently; that's the reason I've ignored these cubes so far. The low price and YJ's positioning of these below the premium brand made me think "dollar store". Would be good to see some more reviews.

Agreed - especially considering the fuss they made about the weilong launch, with WR scholarships, etc..

I'd be very interested to hear if either of these cubes are any good - if someone feels like doing a YJ range review, i.e. HuanYing vs. Weilong vs. ChiLong vs. SuLong, that would be very interesting to watch.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Definitely. Did they really invest in 4 different moulds in the space of 6 months? I'm half expecting that one or both of these will be Huanying with cheaper plastic and hardware, or something like that.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Definitely. Did they really invest in 4 different moulds in the space of 6 months? I'm half expecting that one or both of these will be Huanying with cheaper plastic and hardware, or something like that.

I do not think that. The pieces of these cubes are all so much different. The SuLong for example has edges that are made out one piece. I am uploading a second review of the SuLong now. This cube deserves some attention.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do not think that. The pieces of these cubes are all so much different. The SuLong for example has edges that are made out one piece. I am uploading a second review of the SuLong now. This cube deserves some attention.
Do you have any thoughts on why it's less than half the price of the Weilong? Is the Weilong really a premium cube by comparison?

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think, the first good 'MoYu' was in a time that Dayan ruled the speedcube market. Now there are so many good cubes (Fangshi, Gan, CX3) that they might have start to differentiate by price. Very very smart. The cube world is mainly occupied by young people with no or low income.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think, the first good 'MoYu' was in a time that Dayan ruled the speedcube market. Now there are so many good cubes (Fangshi, Gan, CX3) that they might have start to differentiate by price. Very very smart. The cube world is mainly occupied by young people with no or low income.
The smart thing would be to sustain both premium and budget products, which usually means the budget product is kept inferior so as to not devalue the premium product. Or perhaps they have realised that people who can afford premium products (like us) are going to buy them anyway, even if the budget products are just as good :)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Pics of internals of both on zcube. It looks like a back to basics design, and as you said Marcel, nothing like Weilong or Huanying. Can anyone see a difference between Sulong and Chilong though? They look the same to me.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Pics of internals of both on zcube. It looks like a back to basics design, and as you said Marcel, nothing like Weilong or Huanying. Can anyone see a difference between Sulong and Chilong though? They look the same to me.

ChiLong has grooved edges which cause less friction. I think that one will be faster.

Well where's that review my fine friend? :D

[video=youtube_share;HClyKZaE5Hc]http://youtu.be/HClyKZaE5Hc[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'll pick one up. I just immediately wrote it off when I saw the price, but it seems like it's worth a look.

I just assumed it was a "pretty good" cube, but the last thing I need is ANOTHER mediocre/really good cube sitting on my shelf. I'm at the point where all I want in a 3X3 is "amazing."

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
We've been spoiled by all the good 3x3s that have been coming out. We don't expect any less than "amazing" or we get disappointed.

The price is a funny thing. True, cheaper cube means more people can easily afford it, but at the same time people think they are getting better cubes if they have to pay more for it.

Zeotor

mark49152 said:
Can anyone see a difference between Sulong and Chilong though?
ChiLong has grooved edges which cause less friction.
TheCubicle's product page for the YJ ChiLong states: "The YJ ChiLong's internal mechanism has been adapted from the YJ SuLong. New features include removable torpedoes and tracks on the edge pieces similar to those in the ShengShou Aurora."

Danimal

I for one am excited to my my ChiLong, I have it in the mail, probably coming in tomorrow or tues. The SuLong is a wonderful addition to MoYu lineup. I wish they would change the sticker colors... but to each their own.