• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New 3x3x3 Cube : MoYu ChiLong

• Thread starter Deleted member 19792
  • Start date

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really don't understand why some people are so sceptical about new cubes being released one after the other. I think it is awesome that Chinese companies do invest time and money and energie try to make a better cube after the last one. I ordered the SuLong from Wallbuys for 3.55 dollar or so (incl shipping). Just to compare, in Holland a BigMac at Mac Donalds is EUR 3.95 (which is about 4.5 dollar). For that kind of money I definatly want to test it out. And if it turns out shitty, it will set next to my Store bought Rubiks, Alpha V5, FIII etc. ;)

BurntTheCube

I personally like the "long" series name.

What I don't like is them making **** cubes that have a Weilong similar name so everyone buys it thinking its going to be the next big thing. Moyu, either quit making new crap cubes and focus on making a cube better than the Weilong or (in the case YJ is just using your name to sell cubes) man the **** up and tell them to stop spoiling my Moyu franchise.

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I personally like the "long" series name.

What I don't like is them making **** cubes that have a Weilong similar name so everyone buys it thinking its going to be the next big thing. Moyu, either quit making new crap cubes and focus on making a cube better than the Weilong or (in the case YJ is just using your name to sell cubes) man the **** up and tell them to stop spoiling my Moyu franchise.

I think you epitomise a lot of ungrateful people ITT.

If Moyu want to make new cubes, they will. You are not being forced to buy them. It is people like you who assume that they will be the next Weilong.

The fact that a successful speedcube company, responsible for the cube that is considered the best of all cubes atm, wants to make more cubes that are progressive and new and cheap is a good thing. You make it sound as if it's so easy to just make a better version of the Weilong, as long as Moyu focuses on such a project for a longer period of time without bringing out new 'crap' cubes. It's not.

People are not *****s, they will realise whether or not a cube is good based on reviews and general discussion and not because the name of the model has 'long' at the end.

This is the second cube they have brought out after the Weilong, you have not tried it and it may well be a million times better than the Weilong. We can't know. So it sounds like your categorisation of 'crap cubes' of just the Sulong (if you have even tried it) that Moyu has supposedly made is exaggerated and you are getting worked up for no reason.

BurntTheCube

I think you epitomise a lot of ungrateful people ITT.

If Moyu want to make new cubes, they will. You are not being forced to buy them. It is people like you who assume that they will be the next Weilong.

The fact that a successful speedcube company, responsible for the cube that is considered the best of all cubes atm, wants to make more cubes that are progressive and new and cheap is a good thing. You make it sound as if it's so easy to just make a better version of the Weilong, as long as Moyu focuses on such a project for a longer period of time without bringing out new 'crap' cubes. It's not.

People are not *****s, they will realise whether or not a cube is good based on reviews and general discussion and not because the name of the model has 'long' at the end.

This is the second cube they have brought out after the Weilong, you have not tried it and it may well be a million times better than the Weilong. We can't know. So it sounds like your categorisation of 'crap cubes' of just the Sulong (if you have even tried it) that Moyu has supposedly made is exaggerated and you are getting worked up for no reason.

I'm not being forced to buy them of course, but the marketing acting like its something special is insulting. No it's not people like me, its people like the many I have seen asking "how is this compared to the weilong" and "this is going to be faster than the weilong, right?" The thing is, its not even really weilong/huanying designer designing them! Its YJ and since they own the brand and the designers they will slap on the name "Moyu" and the moniker "long" as if the weilong designer had anything to do with it. They are trying to spark interest in cheap, sub-weilong, cubes by making it seem like it is it's predecessor. I'm not saying they can dump out weilong successors like taco bell, but they can try to make something decent. These cubes are the beginning of a long line of cheap clone cubes that will ruin the good name of Moyu in a quantity > quality battle. You can't assume people to be that smart all the time, and besides, even if they don't fall for it the fact they tried is despicable. Don't even try to pretend this cube will have any worth, if we're lucky it will be better than the Sulong which is considered by many to be worse than the Aurora. "Crap cubes" is my abbreviation of cubes that are nothing but economy cubes to be pumped out constantly because people will always want to complete the collection. Also having to have tried a cube to make an observation on it is precisely contrary to the argument that, I quote: "People are not *****s, they will realise whether or not a cube is good based on reviews and general discussion". I'm getting worked up because if this becomes a common thing we won't see as many amazing cubes and Moyu will become like QJ, economy cubes that you buy only when you can't afford something better.

bundat

I wish they would make a 55mm weilong instead of "the next x-long".
And maybe going down the stickerless route wouldn't hurt either.

I'm still staying with my zhanchi despite wanting the weilong badly, since 57mm cubes make my hands hurt after a while.
And I prefer using a stickerless because I don't plan on competing anytime soon, and replacing stickers are a pain... and they usually get chipped and turn ugly a bit too fast for comfort.

(I think many casual speedcubers who have no intentions of competing share the same opinion regarding stickerless cubes)

There's tiles though, so even just a white 55mm weilong would make me happy.

Last edited:

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really don't understand why some people are so sceptical about new cubes being released one after the other. I think it is awesome that Chinese companies do invest time and money and energie try to make a better cube after the last one. I ordered the SuLong from Wallbuys for 3.55 dollar or so (incl shipping). Just to compare, in Holland a BigMac at Mac Donalds is EUR 3.95 (which is about 4.5 dollar). For that kind of money I definatly want to test it out. And if it turns out shitty, it will set next to my Store bought Rubiks, Alpha V5, FIII etc. ;)

Oh, I am not against people buying these new cubes. Someone needs to try it out to confirm that it's shelf-worthy. :p I am half-joking. Some of you may know that I really don't like to spend money so you might know where I'm coming from. True, EUR 3.55 is very little if you compare it to EUR 3.95 for a BigMac but I would rather enjoy the BigMac instead of buying a cube with that money that will end up collecting dust on the shelf.

I guess part of my "skepticism" comes from the apparent "blocky" look to some of these new cubes, reminiscent of original Rubik's. Of course, they are not the same thing, but when I feel that cubes have been evolving in the internal mechanisms with different bumps in the edges, corners, center pieces and suddenly confronted with a "new" cube that takes all that out again, either we are de-evolving into an inferior form or all those bumps were not necessary or they just want to make a cube to sell that isn't hard to produce or...?

Yellowsnow98

WCA
2013LACE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really don't understand why some people are so sceptical about new cubes being released one after the other. I think it is awesome that Chinese companies do invest time and money and energie try to make a better cube after the last one. I ordered the SuLong from Wallbuys for 3.55 dollar or so (incl shipping). Just to compare, in Holland a BigMac at Mac Donalds is EUR 3.95 which is about 4.5 dollar). For that kind of money I definatly want to test it out. And if it turns out shitty, it will set next to my Store bought Rubiks, Alpha V5, FIII etc. ;)

That's ridiculous in Ireland it's like €4.60.

OT: so many moyu cubes so little time.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's ridiculous in Ireland it's like €4.60.

OT: so many moyu cubes so little time.

Wow!? Here you get the whole meal with a large fries and large coke ;)

..but I would rather enjoy the BigMac instead of buying a cube with that money that will end up collecting dust on the shelf.

My problem is that I eat way to many Big Macs anyway.. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 19792

Cheap cubes can replace the modern speedcube market. If it is all by a brand name, then we can expect the cube to be expensive. Shengshou cubes are very underrated. If ShengShou 3x3s were the best, they would cost much more than a Dayan.

An opinion that does not make sense