• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What do the different cube types mean (a, b, c, d)?

cryptyk

I want to buy a diy cube on cube4you and some stickers from cubesmith. I'm wondering what the cube types mean on cube4you, though.
Oh, and what does OH stand for? When you guys say your OH cube is a white type a DIY, for example...

thanks,
c

llamapuzzle

WCA
2008RATT01
OH means one-handed. So if they say that their withe type DIY is there OH cube, they do all their one-handed solves on it.
Now, anyone more experienced than me may correct me on the DIY ratings, as I'm not sure where D is ranked:

A: A is usually considered the best type of DIY. They turn very smoothly and are usually not prone to lockups.

C: C's, not B's, are the second best. They turn better than a storebought, but not quite as good as a type A.

B:B's are usually considered the worst. They turn about the same as a normal storebought rubiks cube (without lube) and usually aren't what serious speedcubers would buy.

If anyone finds anything wrong with what I said, please correct me, and I would also be interested on where type D's rank.

cryptyk

So do the designations a-d have something to do with the core mechanism? Or the cubies or something? The materials used?

I just ordered a white a cube on cube4you and some stickers from cubesmith. I was getting sick of buying a cube from toys R us every month (the stickers always fall off) and had no idea there were better quality cubes out there! Glad I found you guys.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have A, never tried D. A is awesome. It pops for beginners, but now I solve with almost no pops (screws set very loose.) I think my black and white feels different. If all black and white are like mine, I'd recommend white for OH, it's softer. Black is faster (choppier LL alg execution for me.)

*LukeMayn*

WCA
2009MAYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a D, GET A TYPE D!!! IMO they are better than A's. But you will need to change the core to a type A core (Trust me, the ones that they have suck) thaey don't go tight eneough for my feel, mines almost as my store bought (just a little looser to cut corners). Also Fanwuq (this is gonna seem random) but I've been having a comp with you under your nose an finally I am ahead, with my new TYPE D CUBE I managed to get a 15.97 and an avg. of 5 with a time of 22.55. You can see it herehttp://www.cubemania.org/users/70

Harry

Oh yeah, I think type a pop up more than d..... but, since a lot of people have a type a, I bought one. If you lubed it, I think it is good for OH and speedcubing.

Guoguodi

I have a D, GET A TYPE D!!! IMO they are better than A's. http://www.cubemania.org/users/70

Type D all the way, preach it brother! We shouldn't even be mentioning Type B's and C's in this discussion; the inclusion of those second-rates is borderline ridiculous. They simply don't compare to A and D. Ideally, get an A and a D, one of each, and you can't go wrong!

FYI, the (A,B,C,D) designation is just arbitrary. It's what the owner of cube4you calls each of the four manufacturers who supply him with cubes. So that means he has at least four different suppliers for 3x3 cubes.

On a tangential note, Type D cubes have been reported to be very similar to cubes widely sold in the Philippines (previously they called it the "Unknown DIY"); it also resembles the Joy Cube sold in S. Korea.

A

andrewvo1324

I have a D, GET A TYPE D!!! IMO they are better than A's. http://www.cubemania.org/users/70

Type D all the way, preach it brother! We shouldn't even be mentioning Type B's and C's in this discussion; the inclusion of those second-rates is borderline ridiculous. They simply don't compare to A and D. Ideally, get an A and a D, one of each, and you can't go wrong!

FYI, the (A,B,C,D) designation is just arbitrary. It's what the owner of cube4you calls each of the four manufacturers who supply him with cubes. So that means he has at least four different suppliers for 3x3 cubes.

On a tangential note, Type D cubes have been reported to be very similar to cubes widely sold in the Philippines (previously they called it the "Unknown DIY"); it also resembles the Joy Cube sold in S. Korea.

Dian Sheng cubes at phiippines

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a D, GET A TYPE D!!! IMO they are better than A's. But you will need to change the core to a type A core (Trust me, the ones that they have suck) thaey don't go tight eneough for my feel, mines almost as my store bought (just a little looser to cut corners). Also Fanwuq (this is gonna seem random) but I've been having a comp with you under your nose an finally I am ahead, with my new TYPE D CUBE I managed to get a 15.97 and an avg. of 5 with a time of 22.55. You can see it herehttp://www.cubemania.org/users/70

15.97 single? is that lucky? I can't turn fast enough for that on a normal solve.
I did get several 22 or so averages, but everytime, I end up accidentally clicking backspace and everything is deleted.:(
My cube is also not as good as a few days ago. The silicone I applied at DC open is wearing off. I've none myself. So now I'm using pretty much an unlubed cube. It locks up a bit more than when it was lubed.:(
I will get lube and get faster. I'm still faster at OH, (not on cubemania, but Jnet at home, I've gotten solves in the 30's) I'll try to get a sub-45 average OH today on cubemania.

*LukeMayn*

WCA
2009MAYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

15.97 single? is that lucky? I can't turn fast enough for that on a normal solve.
I did get several 22 or so averages, but everytime, I end up accidentally clicking backspace and everything is deleted.:(
My cube is also not as good as a few days ago. The silicone I applied at DC open is wearing off. I've none myself. So now I'm using pretty much an unlubed cube. It locks up a bit more than when it was lubed.:(
I will get lube and get faster. I'm still faster at OH, (not on cubemania, but Jnet at home, I've gotten solves in the 30's) I'll try to get a sub-45 average OH today on cubemania.

OH is where you beat me, my best is 1.0x.xx and yes, OLL skip

Last edited:

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm so angry.
I got a few bad (better than 55 from before) 45-47 averages on Cubemania, but it get accidentally get deleted when I tried to press the spacebar. Stupid back button. (I think i kept on hitting Alt + something, which is equivilent to back button.)

Alex DiTuro

Premium Member
WCA
2008DITU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So do the designations a-d have something to do with the core mechanism? Or the cubies or something? The materials used?

I just ordered a white a cube on cube4you and some stickers from cubesmith. I was getting sick of buying a cube from toys R us every month (the stickers always fall off) and had no idea there were better quality cubes out there! Glad I found you guys.

Just get some new stickers or tiles from cubesmith for the cubes you got at toys r' us. I love store bought cubes. Not only are they ultra-sturdy, they cut corners very efficiently. They just have to be broken in for a couple weeks. I currently use a store bought and have beaten many PBs with it.

slncuber21

WCA
2008NELS02
YouTube
Visit Channel
ive never tried a B or C but i have both A and D, in my opinion- D is way better than A

but like Luke said, change the core from a D core to an A core. it make a difference!!!
oh and when you first get it, it wont turn really well(at least thats what happened to mine) but play with it for a couple days, then lube it. you could see the difference!!!!

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
I was getting sick of buying a cube from toys R us every month (the stickers always fall off)

You buy a new cube every month just because the stickers fall off? Cubesmith stickers are a much cheaper alternative to that practice.

Don't knock store-bought cubes. Some of them are really good. You just have to be lucky.

Neutrals01

WCA
2009JOON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have many friends in school with store bought cubes, some of those cubes are as fast and smooth as my rubik's japanese speedcubing set =.=" but although it's fast and smooth, the pop rate is like ...mad, but thats for me when I use his cube, my friend could handle it very well.