• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Fridrich Method

Harry

SInce now I can sub-1 min with LBL, I am switching to Fridrich for my speedcubing.

I saw some videos by Mr. Badmephisto about F2L and I just looked through the sites. This is my understanding, in LBL, we insert the corner THEN the edge to make F2L but in Frid, we insert them in the same time than can save some time.

So, is that means I must memorize this whole page?

http://www.ws.binghamton.edu/fridrich/Mike/middle.html

and

http://www.ws.binghamton.edu/fridrich/Mike/orient.html

and

the permutation which I already printed from this site?

MOst people say the step in memorizing is this one:
1. F2L
2. PLL
3. OLL

I am not sure if no 2 and 3 are inversed. Any advice since I will learn the algos for the F2L first.

What is 2-look Oll, 3 look Oll, etc? Is that connected to Frid? What does it for?

Thanks Guys(or girls)

P.S. anyone has the printable version of the F2L algo? I can't find it anywhere in this forum (I searched the forum though)

DAE_JA_VOO

I would REALLY suggest you stick to badmephisto's videos. That way, you learn to do F2L intuitively. Intuitive F2L means you don't use ANY algs, you just solve it out of pure logic and common sense. I prefer it this way.

At first, your times will be dramatically slower. I was also sub 1m with LBL and after going to intuitive F2L my times were EASILY over 2 minutes, but i just practiced and practiced and now my PB is 36s. Still not GOOD, but much better.

Once you've got intuitive F2L a bit more stable, i would suggest you start learning PLLs. That's what i did. I spent a few days teaching myself intuitive F2L, and once i had figured it all out, i started learning the PLLs. Using PLLs will the also pull you away from the way you solve the last layer at the moment, so you won't be solving your cube very much. When i started learning PLLs i went days without solving my cube, because i would do the PLL from a solved state and then just do it again to solve the cube. lol.

Now, all the different looks. 2 look OLL means using TWO steps to orient the cubies on your last layer. You should do this when you start. I actually started learning the PLLs and the 2 look OLL algs at the same time. You'll need to learn a few very easy algs, and once you learn these, you can actually start solving your cube again, but doing intuitive F2L, 2 look OLL, and the PLL. This method would be 3LLL (3 look last layer), because you use 3 steps to solve the last layer (2 look OLL and PLL).

Like i said, rather do intuitive F2L. You MIGHT want to look at some algs later to optimize your F2L, but you will have calculated most of the algs yourself by then :)

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Throughout the post, I'm using Fridrich terms

I agree with DAE_JA_VOO - learn the F2L intuitively. It's way easier and faster to learn then algorithms. It's also easier to get used to. Don't use the algorithms until you are like AT LEAST sub 30, or maybe don't ever use them.

2 Look OLL means orienting the last layer in two steps. That means orienting the edges first (make the cross), and then orienting the corners. Orienting the edges is 2 algorithms, and orienting the corners is 7 alorithms. You already know how to orient the edges, and you use 2 algorithms to orient the corners, which is slow. You should learn the 5 other algorithms.

2 Look PLL, you already do, permuting the corners, then permuting the edges. For permuting the corners, it's 2 algorithms, and permuting the edges are 4 algorithms. You probably only use two for the edges, so learn the other two.

4 LLL (4 Look Last Layer) is solving the entire last layer in four steps, 2 Look OLL + 2 Look PLL. 15 algorithms

3LLL (3 Look Last Layer) is solving the entire last layer in three steps. Most commonly known as 2 Look OLL + PLL. 30 algorithms

2 LLL (2 Look Last Layer) is solving the entire last layer in two steps. OLL + PLL 78 algorithms

I would suggest learning FULL 4LLL (15 algorithms). With that, aim for a 20 seconds or less last layer. Then, learn the F2L intuitively. It's very frustrating to start with, but don't give up, because it will temporarily make your times worse. After a few days of hard practice, you will see your times starting to get a lot better. After you get your F2L in less than 20 seconds, move on to 3LLL. After you get your cross in less than 3 seconds average, F2L in less than 10 seconds average, Last Layer in less than 8 seconds average, that is a good time to do 2 Look Last Layer. It will only help your times by about 3 seconds, so 50 algorithms = 3 seconds....

Last edited:

Steve

WCA
2007SHAW01
I would suggest Jason Baum's site. http://jmbaum.110mb.com/f2l.htm
He also explains the advantages of learning algorithms for F2L. In short, learning and understanding the algorithms will cut inefficiencies and lower your move count. Of course your times will be significantly slower at first but stick with it! Once you know what you're doing your times will get much better very fast!

Harry

So, in order, what I should learn is this:
1. All full 4LLL algos
2. F2L intuitive
3. 3LLL
4. 2LLL

For steps two, I try to learn it by myself but, I have difficulty when the edges are inverted when I do R U R' or F' U' F to do F2L then, if I don't find any pices in correct places, I just using those algos to insert wrong piece to replace the pieces that I want to insert later. Is this correct? or I should pay more attention in Mr Badmephisto videos?

Btw, what is PLL time attack?

Anyone has the printable ver of the algos? I tried searching the internet but, only 4 pages and the sites are all not connected with my search (or is it?)

Last edited:

DAE_JA_VOO

Like i said, watch his videos a few times. If there are cases that you really get stuck with, look at the algs, but don't study them. Just look at how they work and learn that process. I would only bother to learn algs much later, like sub 25 later.

Harry

Like i said, watch his videos a few times. If there are cases that you really get stuck with, look at the algs, but don't study them. Just look at how they work and learn that process. I would only bother to learn algs much later, like sub 25 later.

What do you mean by 'look but not study them'?

DAE_JA_VOO

Let me rephrase.

While i was learning intuitive F2L, there were some cases that i really struggled with at first. I struggle to figure them out. So i had a look at the algs to see how the algs solved the case, and once i had figured that out, i dropped the alg (only used it once or twice) and then learned it myself.

I guess you could say that i studied those algs, but i didn't really, not the way i study PLLs

mrCage

Hi :)

Just a little help for intuitive f2l. You may use a working corner approach to insert the edges. This easily allows you to solve 3 corners and 3 edges of f2l. Now either insert the last edge or last corner. Then use a simple 3-cycle to complete f2l. If you solve the corner you do an edge 3-cycle. You get the idea ...

You may use the last corner/edge as stepping stone to learn all the f2l c/e pair cases ... When you already know all cases for the last pair you only need a few more algs to deal with bad special cases. Turning a bad case into a "good" case is actually also doable by intuition ;-) (Hint: something like R U R' or R U'R' etc may do this !! )

-Per

Harry

Just a little help for intuitive f2l. You may use a working corner approach to insert the edges. This easily allows you to solve 3 corners and 3 edges of f2l. Now either insert the last edge or last corner. Then use a simple 3-cycle to complete f2l. If you solve the corner you do an edge 3-cycle. You get the idea ...
You may use the last corner/edge as stepping stone to learn all the f2l c/e pair cases ... When you already know all cases for the last pair you only need a few more algs to deal with bad special cases. Turning a bad case into a "good" case is actually also doable by intuition ;-) (Hint: something like R U R' or R U'R' etc may do this !! )

-Per

No, I don't..... what is 3-cycle? So you meant this 3-cycle can solve the last edge if I insert last corner first, and it can solve the last corner if I insert last edge first????

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
For steps two, I try to learn it by myself but, I have difficulty when the edges are inverted when I do R U R' or F' U' F to do F2L then, if I don't find any pices in correct places, I just using those algos to insert wrong piece to replace the pieces that I want to insert later. Is this correct? or I should pay more attention in Mr Badmephisto videos?
Yeah, pay attention to Badmephisto's videos, when he's talking about hiding the corner, you'll get it.

Btw, what is PLL time attack?
When you execute all 21 PLL Algorithms in any order as fast as you can.

Anyone has the printable ver of the algos? I tried searching the internet but, only 4 pages and the sites are all not connected with my search (or is it?)
F2L Printable Pages:
http://www.cubestation.co.uk/cs2/index.php?page=3x3x3/cfop/f2l/f2l
http://www.cubewhiz.com/f2lprint.html
http://www.speedcubing.com/peter/AllesFastTwoLayerPrint.html

OLL Printable Pages:
http://www.cosine-systems.com/cubestation/cs2/3x3x3/cfop/oll/ollprintablepage.php
http://www.cubefreak.net/OLL_print.html
http://www.cubewhiz.com/ollprint.html
http://www.speedcubing.com/peter/AllesFastOrientPrint.html

PLL Printable Pages:
http://www.cosine-systems.com/cubestation/cs2/3x3x3/cfop/pll/pllprintablepage.php
http://www.cubefreak.net/PLL_print.html
http://www.cubewhiz.com/pllprint.html
http://www.speedcubing.com/peter/AllesFastPermutePrint.html

NOTE:
Everybody uses different algorithms for each step, so all of them won't be the same. For the F2L algorithms, the two letters indicate which slot the pair will go into. For example, if it says FR, the pair will go into the slot between the Front and Right faces.

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel

It seems to me from that description like you are getting inverted edges because you are applying Case1 solution to Case2.

Did you watch the second part of my F2L tutorial?
you may be one of the many that suffer from a common disease called CannoticusReadicusVideoDescriptius. Symptoms include being confused. The cure is to read the text on the right of the video. It usually contains important information.
I link to the second part in the description of the video of the first part.

Last edited:

Harry

Hmmm, ok then, wish me luck everyone....

Oh yeah, I watched it already, I come up with some methods t overcome the cases esp. case 1 and 2 but not 3. Your vid rocks!!!!!

Stil, I don't understand 4LLL, I know it is solving the last layer with 2 Look OLL and 2 Look PLL, but the one I printed is ike 50+ algs not 15............

Last edited:

natwky56

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

-Per

No, I don't..... what is 3-cycle? So you meant this 3-cycle can solve the last edge if I insert last corner first, and it can solve the last corner if I insert last edge first????

i think he is talking about an advanced form of what is called keyhole f2l. it is what speed cubers used before fridrich f2l. it is faster than layer method but slower than fridrich. dont bother with keyhole right now, just learn intuitive fridrich f2l. you will feel better than if you just learned a bunch of algs. dont worry when your times are slower than with layer method at first, just keep practicing and after 1-2 weeks you will be way faster than before.

also, the site that natwky56 mentioned is the one that i used when i first learned how to solve the cube. it is amazing.

Last edited:

Harry

Oh yeah, I don't know how to practice F2L.....

ANd maybe becase of that my timing is not getting better although it's already 3-4 weeks.........

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel

ANd maybe becase of that my timing is not getting better although it's already 3-4 weeks.........
What do you mean you don't know how to practice your F2L? Just use it in your solves, that's practicing.

Could you be more specific? What is your average Fridrich F2L time and average LBL F2L time? I would like to see a comparison. Maybe you should video tape yourself solving the Fridrich F2L, and see what's so bad (no offense) about it. You will most likely see a lot of pauses (when you stop turning the cube for a few seconds)

natwky56

i think he is talking about an advanced form of what is called keyhole f2l. it is what speed cubers used before fridrich f2l. it is faster than layer method but slower than fridrich. dont bother with keyhole right now, just learn intuitive fridrich f2l. you will feel better than if you just learned a bunch of algs. dont worry when your times are slower than with layer method at first, just keep practicing and after 1-2 weeks you will be way faster than before.
are you sure of that? ive been practicing for the past 3 weeks and theres no results. keep getting 69secs on average

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
dont worry when your times are slower than with layer method at first, just keep practicing and after 1-2 weeks you will be way faster than before.
are you sure of that? ive been practicing for the past 3 weeks and theres no results. keep getting 69secs on average

well i was already at about 45 seconds with lbl when i learned f2l. it took me just over a week to beat my old average. i designed my entire system in one night based off of one alg from jessica fridrich's page and the various tricks i noticed when i used lbl. i have one "method" that i used to set up the corner and edge into two different cases for placement, based on the edge orientation. maybe l learned faster because my system was 100% based on my thinking/recognition process and solving style.

just keep practicing, and eventually it will click for you.

natwky56

What do you mean you don't know how to practice your F2L? Just use it in your solves, that's practicing.

Could you be more specific? What is your average Fridrich F2L time and average LBL F2L time? I would like to see a comparison. Maybe you should video tape yourself solving the Fridrich F2L, and see what's so bad (no offense) about it. You will most likely see a lot of pauses (when you stop turning the cube for a few seconds)

Hey, yeah i have that same king of pausing thing, and also cant average below 60s. can you help me?