• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Did you start on a Rubik's brand?

Was your first cube a Rubik's brand?

• Total voters

speedcuber50

Hi!

Long story short, I started with cubing because I had a Rubik's brand, wanted to know how to solve it, found out how to solve it, found out about speedcubing at the same time, and ended up buying a speedcube.

Do you have a similar story?

speedcuber50

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, I did start with a Rubik's Storebought. But that was many years before speedcubing. I've known how to solve one for years, whilst speedcubing has been a hobby for 9 months. I found the cube on my shelf after 2 years of not touching it and decided to start getting faster.

I still have the cube, and It's really broken in and really good. the original stickers are still on it.

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i actually constructed my own out of reeds and mud during a 4 month trek through the amazon. instead of stickers, i used the strangely coloured blood of the insets indigenous to the area. i ran into a tribe of natives who, after convincing them not to eat me, taught me an aciant speed solving method called Boolo Doololeu. this method has its origins hundreds of years ago and has been passed down from generation to generation. the native people were able to achieve sub 5 averages with Boolo Doololeu. out of respect for their culture, i shale never use the method again or speak of the details. Boolo Doololeu shall forever remain shrouded by secrecy to the modern world.

Ok for real though, i used a virtual rubiks cube thing to learn. i already figured out how to do f2l so all i has to do was learn LL algs. a few days later i found my moms old rubiks cube and used that.

Last edited:
O

Owen

Yup, I got down to ~30 seconds on a storebought. I owned a Ghost Hand and type D, but prefered the storebought for the longest time.

curtishousley

Yup, started and used a Rubik's brand for at least 5 years. During those 5 years I didn't even know about the world of speedcubing. Then I got some no name speedcube where I learned basic CFOP method. Then got my zhanchi and learned full OLL/PLL.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had a pink "Magic Cube" when I found Dan Brown's tutorial, so I went out and got a Rubik's brand that same day in order to follow the tutorial better. Used Rubik's brand cubes until around sub-40, I think.

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
My parents brought me an official Rubik's brand cube in 1981 but could bot solve it.

After 26 years, I brought another official Rubik's cube from a bricks and mortar store in the "toy" section in October 2007 and solved it in May 2009
with a book brought on Ebay that I used in 1981 without success.

I still have it. And use it on occasion too.

YddEd

WCA
2012SHAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I had a cube from china, it looked like a shengshou 3x3 (do shengshou 3x3's have caps on their corners and edges?) The first cube I actually solved was a zhanchi though, some guy in a chess club. I then bought a Rubiks brand thinking that he had a modded Rubiks brand xD Then I modded it. I got sub 40-50 solves on it then moved on to my Guhong v2 which I still love.