• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

This really sucks

Cetron

OMG! Ok here's my problem: I've got a 25th anniversary cube, and just the day before yesterday my blue centre suddenly became COMPLETELY loose, probably the spring came apart or something. And so now I can't control my cubing as usual because that one side goes too fast. Like I can go 360 degrees when I do a normal finger trick.

So this is a bit of a long shot, but does anyone know if there's anything you can do with the 25th anniversay cube to fix the spring problem? I mean, other than buying a DIY cube.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

not really =/

you can -stretch- springs by sticking in popsicle sticks or id cards in there to compress them, but you can't really "unloosen" one, to my knowledge.

after having bought 2 25th anniversary cubes, i no longer trust any of them. I didn't trust DIY either at first, since the first one i got was kinda crappy, but i just got 2 more and they're great.

I want another oddzon :(

Neato

That's true Erik. Ik have also 2 25th aniversary cubes. It's crappy you can't adjust the screws. But I lubed them yesterday "Neato-style", and they are smoooothy again :D

deKeijzer

Originally posted by Neato@Sep 2 2006, 11:18 AM
That's true Erik. Ik have also 2 25th aniversary cubes. It's crappy you can't adjust the screws. But I lubed them yesterday "Neato-style", and they are smoooothy again :D
And may I ask what neato style is? I have to lube my 25th as well..
But I`m afraid to..

ot: will silicone spray mess up my cubesmith tiles?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Cetron: I know exactly what your problem is, as I have the same problem. It it basically is, is that your spring "fell off" or broke, so all that is holding the center is the rivet/rod deal, therefore there is no tension and it just spins. Unfortunately, there is really no way to fix it without rebuilding the cube from scratch. That is one reason why I want to get a DIY, is so you don't have to worry about this problem, and you can adjust the tension as needed.

Neato

Originally posted by deKeijzer@Sep 2 2006, 04:54 PM
And may I ask what neato style is?...
1. Rip all your stickers off...
2. Dissassemble cube...
3. Fill a bucket with water and "specialized-anti-stick-and-super-cleaning-stuff"...
4. Put all your cube material in the bucket...
5. Wait 15 min...
6. Take a towel and clean all parts 1 by 1, and put them on a other towel...
7. Wait 15 min...
8. After-dry all parts with an "anti-dust-towel", and put them on a newspaper.
9. Set up all parts for the lube spraying...
10. Take my lube-spray-can, shake it three times, and spray all parts. Do not forget to spray the inner part of the cube on all sides. Spray distance of 50 cm. Do NOT spray too much.
11. Wait 30 min...let it dry
12. Assemble cube
13. Dry/clean outside of the cube with a new towel.
14. Cut new stickers of my selfsticking 6 colour vinyl (<-- good stuff).
15. Put them on the cube
16. Solve 5 cubes
17. Done

Cetron

Ah well time for me to get a DIY cube then. Such a pity, because this cube actually was the best cube I've ever got. It must have been 1 in a thousand or something, like one of the cubes that you take out of the package and for some reason it just seems that someone has already applied silicon spray lubricant already. And since it was 25th anniversary, the odds must have been 1 in a million, because I know that 25th cubes generally suck.

Neato: and I thought the way I lubed my cube was troublesome... You don't actually put the cube axle in the bucket in step 4 do you? I mean won't the springs rust and stuff