• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Who or what got you into cubing

genwin

for me, a local tv show that featured a competition for the cube.. i have a 3x3 ( 4 months old) but cannot solve it then...after that i immediately decided to look for solutions that i found through badmephisto's tutorial.. been cubing for 2 months now..

alexc

WCA
2008COOK01
I found a rubiks cube in my basement and I thought, "I wonder if it's really possible to solve this thing?" So, I looked it up on youtube, learned to solve it, discovered the online speedcubing community, and have enjoyed it since. :)

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was always interested in the cube. Since I got a cheap rip off when i was 5. I easily got one face, but I had no concept of solving pieces, not colors, so I gave up of for 10 years. Last summer, I went to CTY, I saw people solving the whole thing!:eek: I thought that was really cool, so I dicided to learn a really basic beginner method from them (Only 4 algs). Got down to 2:30. by the end of the week. When I got home, I looked up fingertrick, realized that the Tetris method was actually Petrus, started learning Petrus/Fridrich a few weeks later. Found lots of nice cubing sites and simulator programs... Now I think I can break 20s barrier average on ryanheise sim before DC.

LarsN

WCA
2008NIEL01
I found a cheap cube at my local store and since I've always liked puzzle challenges I decided to try and solve it on my own. I gave up at the point where I only needed to orient last layer corners. Not knowing about speedcubing at all I search the internet for a solution. After some searching I found Lars Petrus site (in danish a rubiks cube is called professor cube, which didn't help my searching at all). I found out that the method I had used for first two layers and orienting last layer edges was exactly like petrus. But I was completely shocked when I read the statement that everyone should be able to learn how to solve the cube in 20 sec. That's when I found out about speedcubing and got hooked right away.

MiloD

My brother learned to solve at a summer internship last summer. Within a week of him coming home I got one of my own and wanted to learn to solve so we could race.

SkateTracker

YouTube
Visit Channel
A guy posted a video of a 3 year old solving it on a different forum I'm on. I watched the video, I was like, what the... if that kid can do it, I can too. So I found my old cheap cube that was floating around in my room, found Dan Brown's tutorial video on youtube, and I've been cubing ever since. (almost a year) :)

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I started cubing when I saw my friend starting to cube. Now I can solve it like 3x faster than him :p

CTY is the John Hopkins thing summer camp for people who get really high SAT scores right? Hmmm.... my mom forced me to get into it, but I didn't get high enough SAT scores. Maybe I would look forward into it - improve on the Rubik's Cube :D I heard it's fun. Is it?

Hadley4000

WCA
2008SHEF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One of my friends brought one to school. He could solve it in about 1:30 or so, and I thought it was just amazing.

I went out and got one that night. Started working on it. I am stubborn, and REFUSED to let him teach me. A week later, I got it on my own :D

That was around March 07.

davegocube

Before I was hired, one of the guys at work who interviewed me solved it while i was writing some bit of C code on the white board to answer a question. Once I was hired I asked him how he was able to solve it so fast, that was the beginning for me.

Harry

Mostly curiosity..... and I got in speedcubing after I saw this 3-years old girl solve it under 2 min (That time, my best time is about 3 min+)....

Jai

WCA
2007GAMB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When Harris first brought one to school (me and Harris Chan went to the same elementary school), and solved it, we were obviously amazed. But, then, we told him to stop cubing, because he was just cubing too much (in our opinion, back then; I now realize that there's no such thing as too much cubing (exception: Lofty's attempted 42 cube OH marathon :p) )
. I don't remember the rest, but I do remember Harris linked me to Jason Thong's beginner method (it's been revamped to be more beginner-friendly recently, though. I loved his old beginner method, it was more of a method to help you transition from a "noob method", where you do like, 1 algo over and over again to solve something, to full Fridrich) on MSN. I was pretty lucky to have Harris around. :)

genwin

too bad the 3 year old still beats me... i still have an un-lubed cube but i know 3 -LLL and my best time is 1:49...