• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
4x4x4 direct solving thing: (for the lolz)

1) opposite centers (not using your bottom/top colours)
2) build a 3x3x1 square off of one of them
*one can and should deviate from this order depending on case*
3) expand 3x3x1 into 3x3x2
4) expand oncemore into a 3x3x3
5) you guessed it, turn this ***** into a 3x3x4!
6) (holding the cube so two unsolved centers are on F & U) build column/pair things to solve the two remaining D corners and FR&FL edges.
7) solve DF edges and the last two centers at the same time
8) CLL
9) ELL with comms

git gud, sun!

Last edited:

supercube

YouTube
Visit Channel
I noticed that I can do sune twice faster than I can do car once. sune is 7 moves car is 14 moves. %50 of car case require a U move or cube rotation to setup. %25 of sune case require a U move. the U move between a double sune is predictable so you can compare them as 15 moves for double sune (car case) or 14 for car. some have said on reddit that car is faster but I would disagree. maybe someone can post a video of how to finger trick RUR'U'. I use all 4 fingers to sune (no thumb), I use pinky and thumb for car. I think car is a waste of time to learn. what do you think?

Last edited:

Thecuber1

WCA
2014WALD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
FreeFOP/Fridrich Substep: FBCLE

Hey everyone, I have been experimenting with my cubes lately and found this substep pretty cool. The method is as follows:

F2E: First two edges, basically solving half the cross.

Blocks: Basically doing Roux 1x2x3 blocks, on the faces with the first two edges.

CMLL: Orienting and permuting the corners of the last layer simultaneously.

L2E: Last 2 edges, putting in the last 2 edges of the F2L

ELL: Edges of the last layer, orienting and permuting them simultaneously.

Pros:

Higher chance of getting an OLL skip

Less rotations than normal CFOP

Cons:

CMLL and ELL can be tough to learn

It can be tough to adjust to

Is it too much like Roux? Please leave your suggestions below.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I noticed that I can do sune twice faster than I can do car once. sune is 7 moves car is 14 moves. %50 of car case require a U move or cube rotation to setup. %25 of sune case require a U move. the U move between a double sune is predictable so you can compare them as 15 moves for double sune (car case) or 14 for car. some have said on reddit that car is faster but I would disagree. maybe someone can post a video of how to finger trick RUR'U'. I use all 4 fingers to sune (no thumb), I use pinky and thumb for car. I think car is a waste of time to learn. what do you think?
What? What's car? If you mean this case:

then definitely learn it.
I think the 14 move alg you're talking about is F (R U R' U')3 F'; if it is, try R U2 R' U' R U R' U' R U' R'. It's shorter, and easier to fingertrick. It's two consecutive antisunes with cancelled moves. You could also do two sunes: y R U R' U R U' R' U R U2 R'.

Hey everyone, I have been experimenting with my cubes lately and found this substep pretty cool. The method is as follows:
no, please no, this has been invented so many times now. Please read the thread at least a bit. This is not a good method and leaves you with almost none of the advantages that CFOP or Roux has.

Last edited:

molarmanful

WCA
2015PANG02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was just thinking whether the whole cube could be solved using Sune/Antisune algorithms, and I decided to go ahead with it. It is essentially an edges-first method.

Here it is. I'm not planning on making this a speedsolving method, but more like a just-for-fun or beginner's method. The method will be called SASS, or Sune-AntiSune Spam. Here we go!
------
For clarity, all Sune/Antisune algorithms will be called S algorithms in this description.

1. EDGES
Do this step first, so that you won't have to worry about corner orientation. This step is almost entirely intuitive.

To start, solve as many edges as possible using intuition. You should be able to get at least 8 edges done. Then, use an S algorithm to orient and permute the last edges into their solved positions.

You can use separate algorithms for EO and EP, or you can use setup moves so that only an EP algorithm is required.

2. CORNERS
This step favors users who know L4C Sune/Antisune cases.

Basically, use different S algorithms to cycle around corners and orient them into a solved state without disturbing edges. It is generally easier to do CO and CP separately, but using setup moves makes it possible to group CO and CP together. You may need the use of a buffer to make things easier.
------

supercube

YouTube
Visit Channel
What? What's car? If you mean this case:

then definitely learn it.
I think the 14 move alg you're talking about is F (R U R' U')3 F'; if it is, try R U2 R' U' R U R' U' R U' R'. It's shorter, and easier to fingertrick. It's two consecutive antisunes with cancelled moves. You could also do two sunes: y R U R' U R U' R' U R U2 R'.

yes that is what I was trying to say. I just noticed that you can cancel 4 moves into 1 when you double sune. U2 R' R U = U' so it is actually a shorter alg and I learned some group theory today thanks to you.

IAmAPerson

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OLSLL - Solving the LS and OLL simultaneously in <40 algs!

So I've been thinking and I think I've derived a cool new method for solving the last slot on any Friedrich solve while also doing OLL. This will be a 2-look system, but isn't normal LS/OLL 2-look also?

OLSLL stands for "Orient Last Slot and Last Layer." Essentially, you do the following steps:
LSP - Last slot pairing: Pair up the two pieces for the last slot. They do NOT have to be oriented at all (disoriented edge and twisted corners are fine). This should be very quick.
L5EO - Last 5 edges orientation: Insert the pair and orient the last 5 edges on the puzzle in one algorithm (one of 16). Most of these are 3-gen, but some are 4-gen. :/
L5CO - Last 5 corners orientation: Orient the last 5 corners on the puzzle in one algorithm (one of 23). These are all <R, U> 2-gen sexiness.

To show you what a solve could look like, I have one here to show you guys:

Scramble: L2 U' B' U2 R' F2 L2 B' L F' L2 B2 L U2 R2 U B' R2 D' B2
Cross (on bottom): x' z D U' R L2 B' U' L2
F2L Pair 1: y' R U' R' U2 y R' U' R
F2L Pair 2: U' F' U F
F2L Pair 3: L' U L y' L' U' L
L5EO: U2 R U2 R' F' U' L' U2 L U' F
L5CO: U R U2 R' U2 R U2 R' U' R U R'
PLL: U' Dw2' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U'

You may visually see the solve executed here. I do not currently have public algorithms available.

NOTE: This is not MGLS, EJF2L, VHLS, or anything like that. Similarities are intentional, but this method is not any that I've seen before.

ALSO NOTE: This method is purely an alternative to LS+OLL, similar to how CLL+ELL is an alternative to OLL+PLL.

What are you guys' thoughts on this? I think this is pretty cool and am currently learning the algorithms to put it in practice myself. Please keep this to a nice thread. I don't want this thread cancerous with all of this "YOUR METHOD SUCKS JUST USE NORMAL CFOP" stuff. This is a new idea. Also, if you want more example solves, just ask! I can do a few for you guys if you want.

Last edited:

cashis

YOUR METHOD SUCKS JUST USE NORMAL CFOP
joking.
But this is a cool idea. Idk if its been thought of before, but this *could* be just as fast as LS & OLL.

IAmAPerson

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
this is a cool idea. Idk if its been thought of before, but this *could* be just as fast as LS & OLL.

I think because of the two lookiness, LS+OLL will beat this unless they are "the Homeschooler"
But you can try to be an MLG pro like ZZ and generate the full algs.

Thanks for feedback. Also, Rouxbiks, Roux will always have a special place in my heart as it was my first ever speedsolving method I used (before I changed to CFOP). Awesome job getting fast with it. I guess full CMLL?

pdilla

L5EO - Last 5 edges orientation: Insert the pair and orient the last 5 edges on the puzzle in one algorithm (one of 16). Most of these are 3-gen, but some are 4-gen. :/
L5CO - Last 5 corners orientation: Orient the last 5 corners on the puzzle in one algorithm (one of 23). These are all <R, U> 2-gen sexiness.

Less algs than OLL. Hell yeah.

Just need that recog to catch up I guess...

I think because of the two lookiness, LS+OLL will beat this unless they are "the Homeschooler"

:D

Last edited:

IAmAPerson

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you one alg for both, thats just VLS. but if you mean algs for L5 E & C, sure

About half of the L5EO algs will be simple VHLS. However, the other half will need to be generated because those are the cases where the LS edge itself is disoriented. The L5CO algs can actually be borrowed from the MGLS I and Im cases. When I post these algorithms, I'll make sure to give appropriate credit.

IAmAPerson

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, off topic from my previous OLSLL posts, is it possible to combine ZZ and Roux in any way? What I mean is this:

Solve EOLine
Solve <L, U, R> ZZF2L without the other bottom two edges (RD and LD).
COLL
Roux-style last six edges

Like this.

Just a bit more thinking (I won't put this into active practice however, unlike OLSLL).

Last edited:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Solve EOLine
COLL
Don't you mean EO, not EOLine?
also I don't think this will be any better than Roux. You're making the entire solve much less efficient. You'd at least have to do COLL and ULUR in one step, but it still won't be as good.

adimare

WCA
2011MARE02
Also, off topic from my previous OLSLL posts, is it possible to combine ZZ and Roux in any way? What I mean is this:

Solve EOLine
COLL

Like this.

Just a bit more thinking (I won't put this into active practice however, unlike OLSLL).

Biggest issue with this idea I see is running into something like this:
click

A bit forced here but the point is that if you're not solving RD and LD it could happen that a piece you need gets trapped on one of those two spots between two solved pairs.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you see my example solve? I meant EOLine. Anyway, it was just an idea. I wasn't thinking about practicality. Probably should'nt have put this under the speedsolving place.
Sorry, didn't see that part. I read it as
EOLine
solve Roux blocks with LUR
COLL
"Roux-style LSE", which if it was what I read would just be EPLL.

But what I said is still true. What I said there was actually about a method very similar to yours, except without the extra rotation. I think my misinterpretation could be slightly better, but only slightly, since it's only missing one rotation. I still don't think it's as good as Roux.