• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's Belt...
Step 3 isn't going to have particularly good lookahead, nor will steps 5 and 6, and I'd be very surprised if it averages fewer moves than CFOP. Also, when do you orient the DR and DL edges (do you rotate during step 4)?

How will it not have good lookahead? the algs are J-perm on top, J-perm on bottom, Dual N-perms, Dual J-perms, and N on top and J on bottom (rotate for that one) and you should know how the algs affect the EP. All the corner algs are [R,U,D].

Also I meant for 3 to bring corners into correct layer, then do CP.

You can find an example solve here

btw I'm terrible when it comes to move-count, so I'm sure others can find better solution using this method, but it isn't much less efficient. Also, I dont have very many fingertricky algs, as I havent made any of them yet.

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another method for 3x3 (I should be practicing, but I like trying new ideas)

2x2 block in BDL

EO

F2L

OLL

PLL

I believe this is very similar to pet rock, but I don't believe it is the same

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is ergonomic. You have 2 less edges as well, so at max you are left with 10 edges, and you can build the block, and it then becomes a 4-gen f2l [RULF2]

Also while doing an average of 12 (20.05) I noticed that like 7/12 solves had solved CP. Was I just incredibly lucky? (I noticed it in OLL, so I did 2GLL [but OLL and PLL])

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is ergonomic. You have 2 less edges as well, so at max you are left with 10 edges, and you can build the block, and it then becomes a 4-gen f2l [RULF2]

Also while doing an average of 12 (20.05) I noticed that like 7/12 solves had solved CP. Was I just incredibly lucky? (I noticed it in OLL, so I did 2GLL [but OLL and PLL])

Have you ever seen a 2x2x2 block? 3 edges, not 2. 9 edges left in F2L and LL. EO would be hard to lookahead to, and ZZ and petrus are already very well developed. They are perfect for what they were made for.

Yes, thats just luck.

WCA
2014BLOC01
How will it not have good lookahead? the algs are J-perm on top, J-perm on bottom, Dual N-perms, Dual J-perms, and N on top and J on bottom (rotate for that one) and you should know how the algs affect the EP. All the corner algs are [R,U,D].

Also I meant for 3 to bring corners into correct layer, then do CP.

You can find an example solve here

btw I'm terrible when it comes to move-count, so I'm sure others can find better solution using this method, but it isn't much less efficient. Also, I dont have very many fingertricky algs, as I havent made any of them yet.

Move count wasn't terrible (though you had the shortest step 2 case), but I didn't mean lookahead from step 3, I meant lookahead into step 3. It won't be terrible, but it won't be particularly good. Can you predict CP for PLL coming out of OLL consistently? If so, good, but add in trying to predict the bottom and lookahead becomes harder than with most speedsolving methods, with none of the move count advantages in the ones with harder lookahead.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel

2x2 block in BDL

EO

F2L

OLL

PLL

Wait guys, let's not discount this completely. I think it may have some OH potential.

I would still alter this slightly though.

1) 2x2x2 block in BDL,
2) EO ZZ style
3) Form 2x2x1 block in FUR and do a U2 to finish the 2x2x3 *
4) 2nd half of ZZF2L
5) LL however you would like (I like WV/ PLL)

I like the steps 2-4 as they are easier to get used to than the Eoline and (for the most part) only use R and U moves so the a lot of the ZZF2L L moves (in the first half) are eliminated leading to a mostly 2-gen mid-solve that could go straight into PLL

*an experienced solver could probably do steps 2&3 in 1 step.

Last edited:

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

2x2 block in BDL

EO

F2L

OLL

PLL

The main reason I came up with this was for some OH style stuff, but also for those that want to swap from Petrus to ZZ, and from (I have no idea why, but..) ZZ to Petrus.

It would be more move-efficient to CFOP, and maybe ZZ (i dont know ZZ movecount) and has good look-ahead after the EO step.

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
The main reason I came up with this was for some OH style stuff, but also for those that want to swap from Petrus to ZZ, and from (I have no idea why, but..) ZZ to Petrus.

It would be more move-efficient to CFOP, and maybe ZZ (i dont know ZZ movecount) and has good look-ahead after the EO step.

but the eo step would be hard to do without a lot of pauses, unless you do it like petrus (2 at a time) but will be inefficient.

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
but the eo step would be hard to do without a lot of pauses, unless you do it like petrus (2 at a time) but will be inefficient.

Well, the 2x2 block should take very little moves once you get used to it (4-5), and then you should be able to do it blind, so you can track your bad edges, or at least know how many bad edges you end up with.

IAmAPerson

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, what about this CFOP variation I've been thinking of for a while?

Solve Cross
Pair up and insert F2L pairs, but not necessarily in their correct spots
OLL
PAL (Permute all layers. Should be ~130 algorithms when learned to its fullest extent, but you can learn some subsets and it still be useful)

Advantages:
Much faster and easier F2L, the longest part of the solve.
PLL recognition is never affected by F2L pair permutation.

Disadvantages:
High algorithm count
Descent amount of long and awkward algorithms

Example solve - Scramble: L2 R' F' R2 D' F' D' U' B2 D2 U2 L' B' R' B' D F' L2 D2 R2 B' F' L' R' U2
I'm colour neutral, but I'll solve white side for this example. Also, I use intuitive F2L, so all of my "algorithms" are made by myself to work for me (be fingertrickable/fast), so my F2L may be crap for you to execute.

Also, the PAL alg I used is not optimized for speed. It was the first thing that popped out of Cube Explorer. I'm sure there's a much better alg out there.

Cross: x2 D F' D2 R L2
Pair 1: U' R U' R' U R' U R2 U' R'
Pair 2: y2 U2' L' U L R U' R'
Pair 3: R' U R U R' U R U R' U R U' R' U R
Pair 4: U2 L' U2 L U' L' U L
OLL (Antisune): U' R U2' R' U' R U' R'
PAL (E-perm with CCW Pair Permutation): R F' U F2 U' F R U' L2 D M2 x2 F2 U L2 D' x' U2 M2

Here's the solve with alg.cubing.net.

Small Poster

Is this where I post new ideas? sorry I'm new.

If so, here is a method for 3x3

Solve a 2x2x3 block.

Make it so the cube can be solved using only R Ri U Ui moves.

Solve the cube.

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, what about this CFOP variation I've been thinking of for a while?

Solve Cross
Pair up and insert F2L pairs, but not necessarily in their correct spots
OLL
PAL (Permute all layers. Should be ~130 algorithms when learned to its fullest extent, but you can learn some subsets and it still be useful)

Advantages:
Much faster and easier F2L, the longest part of the solve.
PLL recognition is never affected by F2L pair permutation.

Disadvantages:
High algorithm count
Descent amount of long and awkward algorithms

Example solve - Scramble: L2 R' F' R2 D' F' D' U' B2 D2 U2 L' B' R' B' D F' L2 D2 R2 B' F' L' R' U2
I'm colour neutral, but I'll solve white side for this example. Also, I use intuitive F2L, so all of my "algorithms" are made by myself to work for me (be fingertrickable/fast), so my F2L may be crap for you to execute.

Also, the PAL alg I used is not optimized for speed. It was the first thing that popped out of Cube Explorer. I'm sure there's a much better alg out there.

Cross: x2 D F' D2 R L2
Pair 1: U' R U' R' U R' U R2 U' R'
Pair 2: y2 U2' L' U L R U' R'
Pair 3: R' U R U R' U R U R' U R U' R' U R
Pair 4: U2 L' U2 L U' L' U L
OLL (Antisune): U' R U2' R' U' R U' R'
PAL (E-perm with CCW Pair Permutation): R F' U F2 U' F R U' L2 D M2 x2 F2 U L2 D' x' U2 M2

Here's the solve with alg.cubing.net.

i think you have to be very good about saving moves in f2l, quick insert like keyhole should probably be pretty common. looks promissing, how are the PAL algs?