• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How Would I get This Music/What Is It?

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was just doing my homework and the lesson wanted me to check out this site: http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/metamorphosis/ to preview Franz Kafka's "Metamorphosis." As i got to the site I immediately though, "I want this music." I can't seem to find the link to the song in their source code so I can download it though. Does anyone know where/how to get it or if it is even possible to get it(maybe it is was composed for the site?).

immortalcube

that movie is in a flash file. The music is embedded in the .flv (or .swf) file, so unless you can find out the name of the artist/song so you can download it somewhere, there's nothing you can do (outside of trying to download the flash file and mess with it, and idk if you can even do that)
EDIT: grrrr..... now you've got me interested, I'll have a look and see what I can do.

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
that movie is in a flash file. The music is embedded in the .flv (or .swf) file, so unless you can find out the name of the artist/song so you can download it somewhere, there's nothing you can do (outside of trying to download the flash file and mess with it, and idk if you can even do that)
EDIT: grrrr..... now you've got me interested, I'll have a look and see what I can do.

Heh, I'm sorry. I've drawn you into my web. But, seriously, it really is bugging me. I am used to just going to a site and if I want something then I'll just dig through their source code or look for the database in the source code but this site doesn't seem to have it. I believe you are correct that the music is embedded into the file. If that is so than I probably won't be able to get at it. Thanks, in advanced, for your help! If you figure it out please tell me. I wiill continue to try and figure this out as well.

immortalcube

according to the source code, the file that has the movie in it is Frank Kafka~/meta0.swf, which was downloaded along with the site. Now the only question is how to get inside that file. I know there's a tool to do that in Linux, but I'm not at my main computer :(

immortalcube

Code:
        <param name="movie" value="meta0.swf">
        <param name="quality" value="high"><param name="BGCOLOR" value="#000000">
        <embed src="Franz%20Kafka%27s%20THE%20METAMORPHOSIS%20adapted%20by%20Peter%20Kuper_files/meta0.swf"
etc.
gonna go to my other computer and try something...

Last edited:

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess I shall wait for you as the computer I am on right now is a bare bones one. It is the one I use for my homework so I really can't do anything on it. Agh, I hope you can find the music! It is really eating at me. I want that music, lol.

immortalcube

well.... I must admit I'm stumped (but only for lack of software ;)). SWFs are hard/impossible to modify, you need to have the uncompiled (source) version of it in like a .fla format. Unfortunately, I don't have the stuff to do decompiling (and there's pretty much no freeware for doing this), so that's about as far I as can go... If you're really desperate for the music though, you could jury-rig something, like record it with a microphone on your computer, there's a couple of ways you could go with that... Sorry I can't be of more help. It was a needed distraction, but now I have to get back to the html coding for my site.

immortalcube

meta0.swf is the right file. I thought of using VLC initially, that's when i went to my other computer. But you know how there's a menu after the story is after (with links like about the authors, etc.)? That menu is why VLC won't open it, it'll only open ones that are a straight movie/audio. I think there's a way to get rid of that final menu, but I haven't been able to find out how to do it yet. (btw, VLC is one of those programs you should just always have on every computer you own/use, it will let you open just about anything: DVDs, MPEGs, MOVs, MP3s, etc.)

immortalcube

yes that would work, but things that are recorded like that generally have a lot of background/white noise, and although it's possible to filter that all out, Audacity is probably not the best program for that. You really need a more advanced program, and know how to use it really well.

All from another forum where a similar question was asked:
Is there any way through which I could separate music or sounds from swf files.
Thank you

response from a moderator:
Theoretically there may be SWF decompilers on the market [read: buyable] that can extract sound from SWF. While it is a legitmate question if you are trying to recover your own sounds from your own SWF, just a reminder that it is unethical to remove sounds from someone else's SWF... Trying to get audio from a SWF is just not worth the effort.

immortalcube

It couldn't hurt. The only problem I see with that is that Random House/ Crown Publishers is a big company, and it would probably take a long time before you got a response to so specific a question, because you don't know exactly who to send the email to. If you do ask them about it, you should make sure to ask what the name and artist of the song is as well. That way if they could give you that, but not the song you would at least have a point to start searching for it. The worst case scenario is that it might turn out to be a custom mix specifically made for this project. I don't see any credit given for the music on the site, so that may very well be.
Also you might try contacting the company [person maybe?] that made the site. There is a link to http://ulyssesdesign.com/ in the lower right area of the screen. Their email address is on that page. They might be able to give you more information than Random House could, assuming they made the SWF file and didn't just design the overall look of the page that it's on.
Good luck if you try!

blgentry

^ I'm sure you'll find it with google. Eltima Software makes the product. I'd normally be more verbose and offer a link and things, but I'm not 100% sure what the moderators might think of this, so...

Good luck getting your MP3!

Brian.