• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Noah's Blindfolded Tutorial

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Every time I see a tutorial from you I want to start with BLD again.

Thanks for the good vid!
Can't wait for the next part.

^This is me too. I admit I'm not very interested in BLD solving. I've had two successes so far... out of maybe 4 attempts. You said you can help anyone get sub-2. How many practices do you estimate it would take to get sub-2? Obviously, just watching the series isn't going to make that happen.

I'm also rather curious about lettering scheme. I wonder if Speffz is actually better than the one I made up for myself because the same letters are going to be on the same faces whether they are corners or edges and they will always be right next to each other so maybe it makes more sense than what I was using before.

randomtypos

How many practices do you estimate it would take to get sub-2? Obviously, just watching the series isn't going to make that happen.

I'm also rather curious about lettering scheme. I wonder if Speffz is actually better than the one I made up for myself

Personally I picked up a Rubik's cube for the first time last November in 2012 and got into BLD in December (really fast, I know) even when I only averaged 40~secs TH. I now average 18 secs TH and 1:25 3BLD. I learned BLD from Noah. I would say that BLD isn't as difficult as it's made out to be. I feel like being organized during memorization is the biggest key to becoming sub-2, which is what I anticipate Noah will focus on. Most tutorials on Youtube focus on the exe part of BLD, which, IMO, is very easy, except for understanding commutators. Anyone who already knows the Y perm PLL can learn to exe corners easily and anyone can probably learn M2 in a couple hours. I sort of figured out how to memorize through trial and error, but memorizing in pairs and deciding whether you like audio words or audio loops is very important to decide on early. For me, by January I was at 3:30/1:30, by mid Jan 2:00/1:00. From 3:00 I would say that it takes a monthish of consistent practice to get sub-2.

On the letter scheme, I would say that anything that is personalized to you is what is best. Hope this helps.

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
^This is me too. I admit I'm not very interested in BLD solving. I've had two successes so far... out of maybe 4 attempts. You said you can help anyone get sub-2. How many practices do you estimate it would take to get sub-2? Obviously, just watching the series isn't going to make that happen.

I'm also rather curious about lettering scheme. I wonder if Speffz is actually better than the one I made up for myself because the same letters are going to be on the same faces whether they are corners or edges and they will always be right next to each other so maybe it makes more sense than what I was using before.

It doesn't really matter what lettering scheme you use, because when you get used to it it's like second nature. I start from the UF piece, naming it A, then FU is B, UL is C, LU is D and so on. I'm pretty fluent in locating them because it was my first scheme I've used, and I'm sticking to it. If you want to organise it so that you have the same letters on the same face to facilitate your learning of your scheme, it's fine too, but it's better for it to feel natural to you.

And I totally agree with randomtypos, decide on your memo organisation early on. Mine is a wreck and I'm struggling to have consistent images and locations and stuff now.

Zeotor

In Part 2, you look at the buffer and then go to the next piece. Does the piece in the buffer belong where the next piece is? Also, should I be thinking about this in terms of where stickers go and not pieces?

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In Part 2, you look at the buffer and then go to the next piece. Does the piece in the buffer belong where the next piece is? Also, should I be thinking about this in terms of where stickers go and not pieces?

Yes. Tracing your memo involves looking at each piece and seeing where it needs to go. And as I said in the video, it's about the stickers not the pieces.

I am thinking about remaking this video into two videos because I think I tried to cover a lot of material in too little time. Can I get people's thoughts on this?

omer

Yes. Tracing your memo involves looking at each piece and seeing where it needs to go. And as I said in the video, it's about the stickers not the pieces.

I am thinking about remaking this video into two videos because I think I tried to cover a lot of material in too little time. Can I get people's thoughts on this?
I personally think you introduced the concept of breaking into new cycles too early and too quickly. The cards analogy is great, I really liked it, but you went too fast with it. Try giving more examples with the cards and go deeper on explaining cycle breaks and how replacing like that allows to solve the card problem.
I didn't watch the rest yet though, just the first minutes.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I personally think you introduced the concept of breaking into new cycles too early and too quickly. The cards analogy is great, I really liked it, but you went too fast with it. Try giving more examples with the cards and go deeper on explaining cycle breaks and how replacing like that allows to solve the card problem.
I didn't watch the rest yet though, just the first minutes.

Funny story about that. The cycles thing was an accident because of the way the cards came out. I'm going to remake it and be more careful with my examples. Video will be down soon and a new one will be up tomorrow.

cubizh

WCA
2014GOME07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I appreciate your effort in the creation of this tutorial series. Yes, I think you should detail more certain definitions that you used in the 2nd part and go more in depth in the definitions part of solving and the notation (what UBL means and how it differs from ULB for instance). So for instance what a twisted corner means and what a buffer is and what a cycle is and after that what it means to break into a new cycle are important notions to mention before using them. I think those aspects should require a more detailed look that someone who doesn't BLD may be slightly confused about.
On a side note, I know it's tricky but you should try to eliminate the glare on the table. Try putting a stackmat underneath (?)
But good information overall. Congratulations.
One question though, are you doing these tutorials all by heart, or you use some sort of script guide?

Last edited:

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I appreciate your effort in the creation of this tutorial series. Yes, I think you should detail more certain definitions that you used in the 2nd part and go more in depth in the definitions part of solving and the notation (what UBL means and how it differs from ULB for instance). So for instance what a twisted corner means and what a buffer is and what a cycle is and after that what it means to break into a new cycle are important notions to mention before using them. I think those aspects should require a more detailed look that someone who doesn't BLD may be slightly confused about.
On a side note, I know it's tricky but you should try to eliminate the glare on the table. Try putting a stackmat underneath (?)
But good information overall. Congratulations.
One question though, are you doing these tutorials all by heart, or you use some sort of script guide?

I usually just plan it out in my head. Occasionally I'll take notes. I should have used notes this time. Thanks for your suggestions.

Sorry to everyone who was excited to learn from this today, but it's definitely better to have a great video tomorrow than a meh one today.

Zeotor

I think it's a lot better too.

What are some ways to learn my color scheme (other than through experience/practice [which I know is important])?

omer

I think it's a lot better too.

What are some ways to learn my color scheme (other than through experience/practice [which I know is important])?
Just try to force yourself to remember what color is where without looking. Though with practice it will just come naturally.
Same thing with the lettering scheme, try to force yourself to know where the sticker goes and what letter it has without tracing it back to its spot.

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
Do you think you can talk about stickers in terms of positions? For us using different lettering schemes it can be disorienting. Looking forward to the next video!

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you think you can talk about stickers in terms of positions? For us using different lettering schemes it can be disorienting. Looking forward to the next video!

I try to do that as much as possible, but it's really hard for me :/. The next video is probably even worse In this respect, but I do try to tap each spot and show it clearly. Sorry about that.

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
I try to do that as much as possible, but it's really hard for me :/. The next video is probably even worse In this respect, but I do try to tap each spot and show it clearly. Sorry about that.

No prob, it's really confusing because of the already different cube orientation, plus the different lettering scheme. Maybe you can try speaking a little slower if you're having trouble? I notice your speech rushes a bit.

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
Really glad you tried to explain it in terms of sticker location instead of colour scheme. For those expecting the tips to get sub2 this isn't the vid. But there are still some helpful stuff in there even if you can already bld with M2+OP.