• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What kind of music do you like?

What is your favorite type of music?

• Total voters

McWizzle94

WCA
2008CHAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
The purpose of this thread is to see what kind of music cubers like. Also, if there is a genre that I missed, then tell me so I can change it.

Anyway, I like rock, maybe a bit of metal (kind of), and i really dislike the hip-hop you hear on the radio.

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I put metal. Why is non-english music a genre? People who don't sing in english will still do so within a defined genre. You don't have dance, techno, electronica or drum and bass (or many other of these types of genre. I think they would be most suited under "Techno".

immortalcube

hmmm..... rock, rap, hip hop, and some jazz/blues.
two genres to add: pop and pop rock (which is very different from rock, mind you, think the Fray vs. Nine Inch Nails ;) )

Last edited:

abbracadiabra

I have eclectic tastes, and enjoy good music from all genres. If I **had** to pick one I guess I'd pick rock, but how boring life would be with only one type of music. :(

Your list isn't very comprehensive, either. You completely missed classical.

MiloD

I literally checked everything.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of 80's thrash metal (Dark Angel, Nuclear Assault, Testament, etc)...and a lot of early 90's rap(Snoop, NWA, etc).

Also healthy amounts of Weather Report, Tower of Power, King's X, Liquid Tension Experiment, Bucket Head, Racer X, Pantera, and of course Death.

I have a pretty massive collection of MIDI Nintendo music, I like listening to that stuff too...takes me back. RC Pro-Am anyone?

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't like music, but anything loud and random (like metal or classical music) would be nice to drown out outside conversations of others during BLD. Songs with words would completely screw up my memo. So far, I never cube with music, though a study to see its effects would be interesting.

MiloD

I don't like music, but anything loud and random (like metal or classical music) would be nice to drown out outside conversations of others during BLD. Songs with words would completely screw up my memo. So far, I never cube with music, though a study to see its effects would be interesting.

You don't like music? How sad. Metal and classical are random? Apparently you don't know enough to appreciate their structure.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You don't like music? How sad. Metal and classical are random? Apparently you don't know enough to appreciate their structure.

Well, studying waves in physics made music more interesting than ever for me, but I still don't know about actually listening. It seems rather ridiculous and a waste of time unless you do something else while you listen (I know many who just sit there and listen). You're right music isn't really random, there are patterns of repeating frequencies. I can't stand repeating the same thing over and over again. Good thing that cubes have over 10^10 permutations.

MiloD

Well, studying waves in physics made music more interesting than ever for me, but I still don't know about actually listening. It seems rather ridiculous and a waste of time unless you do something else while you listen (I know many who just sit there and listen). You're right music isn't really random, there are patterns of repeating frequencies. I can't stand repeating the same thing over and over again. Good thing that cubes have over 10^10 permutations.

!!??!?!??!?!??!?!? :eek::eek::eek::eek: :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I could spend hours ripping apart everything you just posted but I'll just let it be. All I'll say is this...you should really learn to play an instrument.

p.s. Wave mechanics have very little to do with music appreciation. Its just a simple partial diff-eq. Argh...I don't know what to say; you've left me speechless.

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I clicked Metal but I probably listen to more Christian Worship music.
But I like all 80's music (from metal to pop), classic rock, and older stuff like Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole.
Favorite Bands: Judas Priest, AC/DC, for newer bands recently I've become a fan of Three Inches of Blood.

MiloD

Lofty! I listen to three inches of blood all the time.

AXES OF EVIL!!!

sooo cheesy but sooo good.

Rama

WCA
2006TEMM01
You missed Blues.

Rock & Roll, Boogie Woogie, Indo Rock, Instrumental Surf Rock, Ragtime, Dixieland Jazz, Duke Ellington's Jazz, R&B (mainly Dee Dee Sharp), Ska, 2 Tone (Madness) and The Ramones. Viva Los Ramones!

Ps. I think this video is a mix of Marc's, Erik's and my style of music (Maybe we should form a band):

Ps. Erik I think you recognize the guitarist don't you? If you don't then I'll have white toast 'dry' and for my brother four fried chicken with a Coke. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04

Studying waves has nothing to do with musical structure or music appreciation. That's like saying studying ink chemistry lets you appreciate poetry. I'm sure plenty of musicians can't derive a wave equation to save their lives. Sitting there and listening is only a waste of time if you don't know what you're listening for. I'm sorry you're missing out on such a wonderful aspect of this world.

Poll is missing classical music. Fail.

Last edited: