• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube 2.0 Released

Tahrbo

The older Rubik's brands the 1.0 version never pops also.

qft

The one good thing, the BEST thing about the Rubik's brand is their durability. They're made so that Daddy doesn't need to return a broken cube after Jimmy was too rough with it. You'd have to drop one of those things onto a pretty hard surface to get it to break apart, and a similar impact would make a real speedcube look like something melting out of the LEGO Movie.

In exchange for the top notch durability is the infamously bad turn quality. The best 3 Rubik's that I own can corner cut about 5 or 10 degrees. I'm not even sure because the angle is barely perceptible.

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
since its rubiks brand, it most probably wont even come apart if you want it too.

lol@ description:

" With lots of practice you can solve it in under 10 seconds!"

no. this is so wrong.

EDIT: To actually help you, now, i advise you to NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. if yo uwant a truly pop resistant but also usable cube, get the C V from WitEden. its decently fast, corner cuts, feels better than the C IV, and i promise you wont be able to pop it, ever!

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
one good thing, the BEST thing about the Rubik's brand is their durability. They're made so that Daddy doesn't need to return a broken cube after Jimmy was too rough with it. You'd have to drop one of those things onto a pretty hard surface to get it to break apart, and a similar impact would make a real speedcube look like something melting out of the LEGO Movie.
It's funny... I've heard several stories of official Rubik's cubes breaking from being dropped onto a hard floor. Usually it's the core that goes. Meanwhile nobody talks about the durability of V-cubes, but even a V-cube 7x7x7 can be dropped onto concrete or kicked around 0 despite the complex design.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
" With lots of practice you can solve it in under 10 seconds!"

Yeah. The site is just awful really. The following sentence ("Rubik’s Cube is the incredibly addictive, and has fascinated fans since it arrived in 1980") makes no sense whatsoever. Add to that the minor (6 year) discrepancy between their date and the actual invention of the cube.

It was actually released (I believe) in 1977, but released under the current (i.e. Seven Towns) license in 1980. So they're talking about their product, rather than the cube itself, which means that the statement implies that the previously branded "magic cube" was not fascinating, and only became fascinating when the cube was rebranded with Rubik's name! :p

None of which inspire me to purchase a Rubik's 2.0. Sorry Erno!

Tempus

The one good thing, the BEST thing about the Rubik's brand is their durability. They're made so that Daddy doesn't need to return a broken cube after Jimmy was too rough with it. You'd have to drop one of those things onto a pretty hard surface to get it to break apart, and a similar impact would make a real speedcube look like something melting out of the LEGO Movie.
I couldn't disagree more. Back in the '80s, I had a "Rubik's Revenge" 4x4. In short order, and with no abuse, the retaining tab broke off one of the center pieces, causing it to fall apart. The tab could not be glued back on due to the narrow edge, so I bought a replacement. I took the replacement out of the box, and literally on the very first turn it just fell apart in my hands. The cause? The retaining tab had once again broken off of a center piece. On the very...first...turn.

Perhaps their 3x3s last, but couldn't that just be because people's hands hurt so much that they give up and put it in storage for years at a time? :cool:

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, almost 10 years ago when I first got into 4x4x4, some of the centres of my Rubik's brand 4x4x4 cube would break when I was solving it. Still better than no cube at all :p

Tahrbo

I couldn't disagree more. Back in the '80s, I had a "Rubik's Revenge" 4x4. In short order, and with no abuse, the retaining tab broke off one of the center pieces, causing it to fall apart. The tab could not be glued back on due to the narrow edge, so I bought a replacement. I took the replacement out of the box, and literally on the very first turn it just fell apart in my hands. The cause? The retaining tab had once again broken off of a center piece. On the very...first...turn.

Perhaps their 3x3s last, but couldn't that just be because people's hands hurt so much that they give up and put it in storage for years at a time? :cool:

Actually I'm going to agree with you somewhat, which means I'm contradicting myself, lol. I own a Rubik's 4x4x4 and 5x5x5. Within a day of opening my 5x5x5, a piece from somewhere inside the cube broke off. I have no idea how the innards work, so I don't know how crucial that piece is. Regardless of that, the cube did not feel very stable when I turned it. I gave up not too soon after. The 4x4x4 felt a bit more sturdy, but not nearly as good as a 3x3x3.

So, I think a Rubik's 3x3x3 is extremely durable. Their own 4x4x4's and 5x5x5's are another matter, and I've experienced one of them breaking a piece onto my chest while I was trying to learn it. I got them for 80% off on a clearance so it's no big loss.