• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Musical Cubers

deKassu

What software if any are you using to record and such and what are you doing with it? There is a lot of very powerful software that could simulate real instruments like your bass and mastering the tracks that could help it sound a lot better (although I couldn't find your last.fm thing and don't know what your music sounds like, if you don't EQ and master your tracks properly they won't sound as good as they could) If you have any questions regarding stuff like that I would be happy to help.

I use audacity to record and edit everything and i use Hydrogen -drum sequencer as a drum machine. I use that because its easily available on Linux and it has all the basic functions i need at the moment. Here is a link to my last.fm: www.last.fm/user/deKassu
As stated before, i havent uploaded any tracks as of yet, because i am still on the stage of finding inspiration and motivation. If you have any recommendations for programs (like you mentioned) what can simulate bass and other instruments, please name a few if possible. Thanks for the offering to help!

TraciAG

WCA
2015GAGU01
I play guitar, piano, trumpet, bass, and I can improv some folk instruments such as Shamisen and Banjo. Ironically I'm not so good at music theory.

To be honest, I really don't care much for playing music (besides guitar and trumpet <3 ), as long as I can record it. I'm in grade 11 and I really really want to be a recording engineering. Luckily I live in NC, a couple hours drive from the Tennessee border so there are lots of opportunities for me. Unfortunately I'm having a really hard time finding the right place for me, because it's hard to find the right (and not BS rip-you-off) school or program for this field.

I'm looking into Black Horse Institute but my mom says I need to go to a four-year college right out of HS :/ but there's nothing in particular to do for four years for the recording arts, unless I go for a different music degree too...or could I go for business? Idk, growing up sucks.

Last edited:

Oatch

I'm another one of those 'self-taught' musicians but funnily enough I taught myself how to read notation, not really proficient at sight-reading but I can do it nonetheless. I've been playing piano/keyboards the longest (8-ish years) but I've also learnt how to play the bass and the guitar. I've had experience with recording through the production of a CD of some of my original music (but now that I look back at it, it's pretty bad) and I am currently producing another one for my Stage 2 Music Individual Study. I've also been involved in some performances here and there, I've played piano for musical theater for the past 2 years and I've also played in a contemporary rock band as a bass player.

It's quite good to see that there are actually a lot of people who share this seemingly odd blend of hobbies! Maybe there is some obscure correlation between the two after all. :p

pyr14

WCA
2014SIME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've played the guitar seriously for 2 years but then I kinda stopped now. I kinda played the drums as well. When I'm bored, I just troll with my guitar either playing music I kinda learnt already or mashing random barre chords.

I self taught myself.

JediJupiter

WCA
2014DICK01
I learned the violin for maybe 8 years, I haven't played it in a whole year now though. I also do orchestral percussion, so pretty much any percussion, including tuned percussion (glockenspiels etc)

EntireTV

From browsing around the forums and talking to various cubers, I realize that many of us are musical. In other words a majority of us are band geeks and orch dorks. So what do you play? Are you in another form of musical arts (theater, singing, ect)? Could there be a link between a musician's and cuber's minds being similiar? A lot of cubers say they preform better when listening to music. Music and cubing are two main things in my life. In this thread everyone can post what they play and any footage they may have!

Here is my last concert's band footage that i finished editing earlier this week:
(and this is an 8th grade band, so we're not very good...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBeoPMuAY4

I play the flute, 2nd chair btw.

I've been playing clarinet for 4 years and I'm pretty good. I've made all state band for California which is pretty competitive, and our music program is good. Any clarinetists out there?

I'm a member of the school orchestra as well as a pianist for quite some time.
I'm also joining percussion (battery) to play tenor drum.

Isaacattack

YouTube
Visit Channel
Im a percussionist at my school, but i dont listen to music while cubing. Personally, i enjoy a quiet environment for cubing. I live in canada where we don't have "first chair" rating system, but i am my percussion section leader.

I

IAmEpic2004

I play piano, a bit of classical guitar, and bass clarinet at school. Occasionally I go and fail at making a song on the computer :p