• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Megaminx Discussion and Help

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for megminx discussion. Feel free to discuss anything involving megaminx from methods to algorithms to hardware or anything else you want to talk about :) There are general discussion threads for CFOP, Roux, Petrus, ZZ/ZB, and even big cubes. But I haven't stumbled upon any megaminx discussion threads :)

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like megaminx. But I pretty much suck at it :/ What should my split times be for a sub 45 solve?
You seem like you're close enough already... maybe you could go on ctimer and get splits of some of your faster nl solves, and then time the top people's videos for their splits? If you're lucky there will be an obvious place to improve and not just a little bit across the board.

So guys, is learning full minx OLL or PLL worth it? I was actually considering learning a bunch more simple OLL algs just in case I get them. Also, I'm thinking of learning one-look CPLL soon, although there are a lot of cases :| I just can't do the RDRU stuff quickly.

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
You seem like you're close enough already... maybe you could go on ctimer and get splits of some of your faster nl solves, and then time the top people's videos for their splits? If you're lucky there will be an obvious place to improve and not just a little bit across the board.

Ya, I could do that, but it's hard to compare: Balint uses layer by layer; Simon uses face by face, but he knows most PLLs and doesn't use EO and stuff (probably still my best chance to compare), Korean girl is just... bweehhh I don't even see what's happening, it's just solved and stuff. I will post splits anyway when I get to do some mega later today :)

So guys, is learning full minx OLL or PLL worth it? I was actually considering learning a bunch more simple OLL algs just in case I get them. Also, I'm thinking of learning one-look CPLL soon, although there are a lot of cases :| I just can't do the RDRU stuff quickly.

Personally, the PLLs I learned so far is helping a lot, but that's just a few. :)

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
I like this thread already :tu

I'm considering learning full CP too, partly because I'm kinda bad at CP comms, and partly because it just feels bad to know EO, CO and EP but not CP :p

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
What do you guys think about WV for minx? I put the last pair in while orienting all the edges, and with WV I can skip OLL. I never really got around learning/generating them though, I don't even know full WV for 3x3 yet. I'm optimistic on the potential of this substep, but given the number of possible algs and recognition problems it might almost be as daunting as full PLL.

I like this thread already :tu

I'm considering learning full CP too, partly because I'm kinda bad at CP comms, and partly because it just feels bad to know EO, CO and EP but not CP :p

I've tried learning CP, but imo it's not really worth it. Comms can be executed faster. I'm referring to just the cases where none of the corners are solved.

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've tried learning CP, but imo it's not really worth it. Comms can be executed faster. I'm referring to just the cases where none of the corners are solved.

Those cases are annoying to recognise at first, but the algs for them are really nice. The way I recognise the 5 cycles where there are no visable headlights is i look for matching coloues on (R U BR) and (L BL U). I then look at the back corner and see where it has to go (It can only go 1 of 2 places). For the 5 cycles where there are 2 sets of headlights, I just track where the non headlights corner has to go (Again, it can only go 1 of 2 places).

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, I would say that learning all the non-5ycle CP's is probably the best way to go. The recognition for the other cases is pretty bad, and I just don't think it's worth it.

That being said, I am in the process of learning megaminx PLL (And have been for a while), Currently I know about half of the PLL cases. It seems to be helping, but sometimes the recognition isn't worth it. I'd say you can be just as fast with 2+ look as with full PLL if you practice it.

Divineskulls

WCA
2011RECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Re: Megaminx Thread

What do you guys think about WV for minx? I put the last pair in while orienting all the edges, and with WV I can skip OLL. I never really got around learning/generating them though, I don't even know full WV for 3x3 yet. I'm optimistic on the potential of this substep, but given the number of possible algs and recognition problems it might almost be as daunting as full pll.

I know Louis Cormier knows at least some of WV, and has used it with mega, but I don't think he used it other than with easy cases. I do think that some cases would be useful, but probably not the cases with more than 3 corners unoriented.

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
yay for minx's!
I should start a pyraminx thread...

anyway, how many solves should I do a day? I average like 2:30-2:45 right now and do maybe 5 or so solves a day, depending on how much free time I have. I'd like to get faster, like sub1:30. Also, what kind of LL algs should I learn first? Currently I do EO, EP (with sune variants), then do a cube rotation and do sexy-move CO+CP, like beginners 3x3.

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know Louis Cormier knows at least some of WV, and has used it with mega, but I don't think he used it other than with easy cases. I do think that some cases would be useful, but probably not the cases with more than 3 corners unoriented.

I have website with mega WV somewhere :p

EDIT: http://megaminx.odderen.dk/ only like half of the cases done ;) but if you scroll down you'll see I also added some of the easy MANY corners flipped cases. It has all 0 and 1 corner cases. It has ALMOST all 2 corner cases, and 13 of 3,4 and 5 corners cases

Last edited:

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
What do you think is an appropriate LL time for mega? I am getting 12 second LL usually and averaging able 1:20.

I do EO during the last pair.

LL should be around 8 seconds. (without EO)

without EO for L2F (I do EO before L2F) you should use 12-13 seconds :)

So it's probably not your worst part of the solve :p

marcobelotti

WCA
2010belo01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My spilts are
F2L: 24.33
S2L: 34.17
LL: 12.88

Total: 1:11.38, wich isn't a very good solve for me ( i can do sub1:10 avg12 and my pb single 54.45 ), but where do you think i can get better?

Divineskulls

WCA
2011RECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My spilts are
F2L: 24.33
S2L: 34.17
LL: 12.88

Total: 1:11.38, wich isn't a very good solve for me ( i can do sub1:10 avg12 and my pb single 54.45 ), but where do you think i can get better?

Personally, I think your f2l needs a little work. It's hard to tell from just one solve, though. My f2l is normally sub-20 on good solves, and sub-15 on REALLY good solves. Maybe the LL a little bit, and probably the s2l too. But I think mostly F2L and S2L.