• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
WCA
2014ATTI01
I don't know my favorite event anymore D:
it used to be 3x3, then Pyra, then OH, then 2x2, now maybe Skoob.
Haven't practised 3x3 for a day or two, probably gonna drop .0000000000000000001 second average.
the second i re-lubed my Weilong I was averaging low 14s- high 14s, guess i gotta break in the lube. :D

rybaby

WCA
2013PRZY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I knew I shouldnt have typed it before you said anything. And I am notorious for being a jerk while texting, emailing, forums, etc but DW im nice in person. : ) I think I just forget im talking to people. Because to me, you are all just a profile pic with a random name that posts letters.

If I may,

What's the deal with your competitiveness? It's as if you don't care about cubing; rather you just want to be faster than the next guy. To me, cubing is about doing the best that I can do and beating my own PBs. It's about setting goals for myself and improving upon what I have done, not what others can do.

If cubing is an outlet for your self esteem, I would re-assess. Quite frankly, I don't care if you're faster than me. Why? Because that's you, not me. Do you feel a need to be faster than me? I understand if you're motivated by people here, but why be so insistent on beating people? Instead of saying, "Wow, nice solves, interesting how you do ___, I could learn from ___, etc etc" to people, you disregard accomplishments.

It is also interesting how you say, "I WILL beat that," or "I WILL be sub 10 by February," etc. Why be so insistent on it? Cubing is a journey for me, not a work schedule. Let it take you places; surprise yourself. I think you need to be careful with your confidence because as of now it's pretty brazen and comes across as very self-centered and arrogant.

Just so you know, it's not just that one post of yours that frustrates me, rather it is a culmination of posts that turns me off from this thread. Hopefully this post is somewhat constructive for you. A lot of people can act this way in life; for some, it just takes someone to be very direct for you to understand.

Ryan

WCA
2014ATTI01
If I may,

What's the deal with your competitiveness? It's as if you don't care about cubing; rather you just want to be faster than the next guy. To me, cubing is about doing the best that I can do and beating my own PBs. It's about setting goals for myself and improving upon what I have done, not what others can do.

If cubing is an outlet for your self esteem, I would re-assess. Quite frankly, I don't care if you're faster than me. Why? Because that's you, not me. Do you feel a need to be faster than me? I understand if you're motivated by people here, but why be so insistent on beating people? Instead of saying, "Wow, nice solves, interesting how you do ___, I could learn from ___, etc etc" to people, you disregard accomplishments.

It is also interesting how you say, "I WILL beat that," or "I WILL be sub 10 by February," etc. Why be so insistent on it? Cubing is a journey for me, not a work schedule. Let it take you places; surprise yourself. I think you need to be careful with your confidence because as of now it's pretty brazen and comes across as very self-centered and arrogant.

Just so you know, it's not just that one post of yours that frustrates me, rather it is a culmination of posts that turns me off from this thread. Hopefully this post is somewhat constructive for you. A lot of people can act this way in life; for some, it just takes someone to be very direct for you to understand.

Ryan

nice explanation

Artic

If I may,

Ryan

Well said Ryan. His posts have a rude and arrogant tone to them, and he needs to be more humble.

JediJupiter

WCA
2014DICK01
Ryan, I have to agree with you. By the way, I wouldn't want you to stop being competitive, since I'm very competitive myself and I don't think it's something I would want to give up, it's probably one of the biggest factors in my progress. But in general, "I'm better than you now" means you're being a jerk but we know that you didn't mean to be, but there's lots of room for misinterpretation, whereas "I'm better than I was last week" means you're making progress and we're probably happy for you. I like your attitude of "I'm gonna smash this goal this week!" though, that's awesome to watch. Especially when you achieve it.

In other news, I'm hoping to get a sub-20 average at my next competition.

Edit: other other news, I'm going to get a bike, whaddya think of this one?
full60728.jpg

Last edited:
WCA
2014ATTI01
Ryan, I have to agree with you. By the way, I wouldn't want you to stop being competitive, since I'm very competitive myself and I don't think it's something I would want to give up, it's probably one of the biggest factors in my progress. But in general, "I'm better than you now" means you're being a jerk but we know that you didn't mean to be, but there's lots of room for misinterpretation, whereas "I'm better than I was last week" means you're making progress and we're probably happy for you. I like your attitude of "I'm gonna smash this goal this week!" though, that's awesome to watch. Especially when you achieve it.

In other news, I'm hoping to get a sub-20 average at my next competition.

Edit: other other news, I'm going to get a bike, whaddya think of this one?
View attachment 4965

topkek roux bike
VGj choice ;D

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ooooooo, drama :) funfun!

so, ryan, ive got some counters for you. all very friendly in nature though, i insure you.

*note* all statements i make about "what penguinsdontfly does/thinks" aer based on the assumptions already made in your original post, ryan
*note* this is not a counter to your being offended. i cant tell you how to feel, that would be silly. no, this is just related to the logic of the situation.

though you dont explicitly say so, im fairly sure the intended purpose of this point was to outline his way of doing things, which is obviously portrayed negatively, and then contrast it to your way of doing things, which you show to be the 'correct,' admirable way. okay, thats a perfectly alright assertion, but that's all. care to give any rationalization for this judgment? I dont see why interpersonal competition should be seen as less valuable -or more shameful- than the internal competition that you prefer.
also, when you say, "... improving upon what i have done, not what others can do," i read it like you're saying, "by competing against others instead of yourself, you devalue your achievements." whether or not you do believe this (or im just putting words in your mouth) doesnt really matter because i do not think that its correct. see: interpersonal competition - comparing yourself against another; internal competition - comparing yourself against yourself. in both situations the self is necessary.

If cubing is an outlet for your self esteem, I would re-assess.
why? have you ever heard of the looking glass self? it is a well respected sociological theory which states: "We imagine how we must appear to others, We imagine and react to what we feel their judgment of that appearance must be, We develop our self through the judgments of others." since this is mainly a talk about how you say Mr. anti-penguin ('anti' cuz he's not flying =P) compares his cubing accomplishments to those of others, the theory of the looking glass self is quite applicable... and shows his M.O as most honest.

Quite frankly, I don't care if you're faster than me. Why? Because that's you, not me.
i was gonna do one of those sarcastic rewrites, but nah. this is essentially the same story as before; there is no reason for this statement's inverse to be incorrect.

Instead of saying, "Wow, nice solves, interesting how you do ___, I could learn from ___, etc etc" to people, you disregard accomplishments.
oh, so you want complements? i thought that cubing was supposed to be about internal flourishing? ;)

It is also interesting how you say, "I WILL beat that," or "I WILL be sub 10 by February," etc. Why be so insistent on it? Cubing is a journey for me, not a work schedule.
it s suspected (perhaps psychologically proven, but i dont have a source to this proof) that people who say "i WILL do," in place of something like, "i WANT to," are more likely to achieve their goals. this might be simple correlation, as in, somebody is so motivated internally that it is expressed outwardly in his phrasing. it also might be causation, as in, by typing/saying it he subconsciously puts it in his mind that it "WILL" be done. it's not even a question, its fact!

Last edited:

JediJupiter

WCA
2014DICK01
If you want to learn some tricks to cut down time for your solves, first two blocks is where it's at. It's the most rewarding part that you can cut down on probably. If you want to influence eo, you could learn even more algs which would be weird, or you could learn what your current algs do to eo and predict the eo case so that your transition from cmll to eo is smooth.
Edit:just to clarify, eo stuff takes a backseat to blocks normally. Because BLOCKS IS WHERE IT'S AT. [emoji16]

Last edited:

lerenard

ooooooo, drama :) funfun!

so, ryan, ive got some counters for you. all very friendly in nature though, i insure you.

*note* all statements i make about "what penguinsdontfly does/thinks" aer based on the assumptions already made in your original post, ryan
*note* this is not a counter to your being offended. i cant tell you how to feel, that would be silly. no, this is just related to the logic of the situation.

though you dont explicitly say so, im fairly sure the intended purpose of this point was to outline his way of doing things, which is obviously portrayed negatively, and then contrast it to your way of doing things, which you show to be the 'correct,' admirable way. okay, thats a perfectly alright assertion, but that's all. care to give any rationalization for this judgment? I dont see why interpersonal competition should be seen as less valuable -or more shameful- than the internal competition that you prefer.
also, when you say, "... improving upon what i have done, not what others can do," i read it like you're saying, "by competing against others instead of yourself, you devalue your achievements." whether or not you do believe this (or im just putting words in your mouth) doesnt really matter because i do not think that its correct. see: interpersonal competition - comparing yourself against another; internal competition - comparing yourself against yourself. in both situations the self is necessary.

why? have you ever heard of the looking glass self? it is a well respected sociological theory which states: "We imagine how we must appear to others, We imagine and react to what we feel their judgment of that appearance must be, We develop our self through the judgments of others." since this is mainly a talk about how you say Mr. anti-penguin ('anti' cuz he's not flying =P) compares his cubing accomplishments to those of others, the theory of the looking glass self is quite applicable... and shows his M.O as most honest.

i was gonna do one of those sarcastic rewrites, but nah. this is essentially the same story as before; there is no reason for this statement's inverse to be incorrect.

oh, so you want complements? i thought that cubing was supposed to be about internal flourishing? ;)

it s suspected (perhaps psychologically proven, but i dont have a source to this proof) that people who say "i WILL do," in place of something like, "i WANT to," are more likely to achieve their goals. this might be simple correlation, as in, somebody is so motivated internally that it is expressed outwardly in his phrasing. it also might be causation, as in, by typing/saying it he subconsciously puts it in his mind that it "WILL" be done. it's not even a question, its fact!

I think the issue is that one person posted his accomplishment so others could celebrate/encourage his personal progress, and PDF (much simpler and more obvious abbreviation of penguinsdontfly....) used it as an opportunity to engage in interpersonal competition, which was taken by others as an attack on his personal achievement. So the issue is whether posts about personal achievements should be taken as invitations for others to use said achievements as goals to beat and then subsequently post those personal accomplishments for others to encourage. I remain neutral on the topic.

also know when to use sledgehammer to force cmll skips ;)

Wouldn't that be exactly one case?