• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
Edit: *Zalewski's algs:
R U2 R' U' R U' R' U2 R' U2 R U R' U R U2,
R U R' U R U2 R' U2 R' U' R U' R' U2 R U2
Those are the ones I've been using so far. Antisune-U2-back antisune-U2 and sune-U2-back sune-U2. I've used them in regular solving already before learning blind, those are very easy ZBLL cases to recognize when they come up.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Like this:
Future champions?

...not bad.

Yes, future champions? My english is so bad... :)

This:
Rozmowy w przerwie FMa

is this?
Talks break Football Manager :D

It's a break during FMC, right? (and not a break to talk about Football Manager)

:) Yeah. I love google transaltor. Your intiuition is right: there was a break between rounds of FMC and we were talking about it.

muchacho

WCA
2016ALAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Solved edges with M2 for the first time (with eyes open, writing the memo and with a cheat sheet for some algs), I needed several tries for the same scramble but finally got it. First time I wrote wrong one letter, then I saw too late that I should have executed FU instead of BD, next I realized I forgot to close a cycle, next I messed a setup move. I think the fifth try was the good one. I then did it again and timed the execution, almost 3 minutes. Then I tried to do the memo part right, even after having solved it several times it took me 3 minutes to go through the pieces and remember all.

Scramble:
R2 F2 L2 U' L2 R2 D' R2 U2 B2 U' L B' F D' B L R U2 F2

Memo (not Speffz): FT VC AC NL NR KS E!
Remembered as "I kicked a cow to Holland, NR almost, Oh!" (translated from Spanglish "FooT VaCa hACia NL, NR KaSi, Eh!")

Last edited:

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Solved edges with M2 for the first time (with eyes open, writing the memo and with a cheat sheet for some algs), I needed several tries for the same scramble but finally got it. First time I wrote wrong one letter, then I saw too late that I should have executed FU instead of BD, next I realized I forgot to close a cycle, next I messed a setup move. I think the fifth try was the good one. I then did it again and timed the execution, almost 3 minutes. Then I tried to do the memo part right, even after having solved it several times it took me 3 minutes to go through the pieces and remember all.

Scramble:
R2 F2 L2 U' L2 R2 D' R2 U2 B2 U' L B' F D' B L R U2 F2

Memo (not Speffz): FT VC AC NL NR KS E!
Remembered as "I kicked a cow to Holland, NR almost, Oh!" (translated from Spanglish "FooT VaCa hACia NL, NR KaSi, Eh!")

Single E in the end means you got flip?

Congrats. With every scramble there will be easier and easier... :)

Last edited:

muchacho

WCA
2016ALAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lettering scheme I'm using for edges (I use numbers for corners):

UF (A)
FU (B)

UR (C)
RU (Ch)

UB (D)
BU (E)

UL (F)
LU (G)

FR (H)
RF (I)

RB (J)
BR (K)

BL (L)
LB (M)

LF (N)
FL (O)

FD (P)
DF (Q)

RD (R)
DR (S)

BD (T)
DB (U)

LD (V)
DL (Z)

Q was not a good letter but P was ok, maybe I should have used it.

muchacho

WCA
2016ALAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Single E in the end means you got flip?

Congrats. With every scramble there will be easier and easier... :)
Yeah, it was a flip, I've already learned the alg for that.

For remembering flips maybe I could use P (that one is in the buffer), like EP, or maybe doubling the letter like EE?

I hope scrambles are easier than this, 2 cycle breaks and a flip, is that normal?

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
Well done! It will get easier very quickly with practice. The first time you have to figure out every single case, but soon you will start seeing patterns and noticing how many similar cases are done in the same way.

I hope scrambles are easier than this, 2 cycle breaks and a flip, is that normal?
It happens, I think 1-2 cycle breaks are the most common cases. But this is just based on feel, I'm sure the exact numbers are out there somewhere.

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
For corner twists I usually remember the color of the side I have to do right hand sune- left hand sune if it is adjacent to the buffer and 1 move set up + color if not adjacent, if I'm not sure what to do right ahead, I just memorize the two targets and carry on. That is also what I do in multi.

If there are various corner twists and they are correctly unoriented (for RSune-LSune) I memorize it visually and perform it first.

I'm gonna look at the algs posted, they might improve my speed.

On a somehow related matter Apdrf told me yesterday that I do strange setups for some M2 cases, How do you guys set up for LU and LF?

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Those are the ones I've been using so far. Antisune-U2-back antisune-U2 and sune-U2-back sune-U2. I've used them in regular solving already before learning blind, those are very easy ZBLL cases to recognize when they come up.

1/486 solves if my maths is correct. :)

Edit: Assuming you use full edge control or a method which pre-orients edges... up to 8 times less often (1/3888) if you only use partial edge control.

Last edited:

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
1/486 solves if my maths is correct. :)

Edit: Assuming you use full edge control or a method which pre-orients edges... up to 8 times less often (1/3888) if you only use partial edge control.
I still do CPEOLL, so more like 1/85. ;)

Had 2 succesfull blind solves today in about 10 solves. Progress! :) In addition there was 2 that I almost count as successes. One scramble had three twisted corners, one clockwise and two counterclockwise. It was the first time I encountered this, so took me a while to get my head around how to deal with it. Then I realized that I could do a L2 setup to a Pi-case, and I happen to know the alg for solving that without affecting edges (working on learning the 12 pi-cases with EP right now). The solve otherwise went fine, but I forgot that my Pi-alg doesn't take care of AUF, so it was off by one U move when I undid the L2 setup. Another solve was perfectly executed, except that I was holding the cube with orange face towards me instead of red all the time, so in the end it was solved around the wrong centers with dots on the R, F, L and B layers. I think I mentioned earlier that I have problems recognizing the colors on the TangLong...

Rastinha

WCA
2016TAYL04
I haven't had enough time to work on BLD since I started, I wanted to learn it really quickly but I'm a teacher and it's almost the end of the school year here so that means marking, reports etc.etc. And no fun, haha.

I have managed to learn how to do it and that scramBLD site has been awesome for learning how to memo properly. It's no effort at all for me to memorize the letters, but I am *so slow* at working out the letters, haha. So my memo time is probably 10mins although I have only timed one when I was unwell so my brain wasn't working well. Execution time for my first couple of attempts (I have only tried solving it maybe 3 times) were 6mins then 4mins, because I still have to think about each set up move for a bit too long, and the W, I, S and C edges always get me a bit stumped. I also take too long to decide on words for the letter pairs, but I've started logging them in that letter pairs program so I can practice.

The good news is I have plenty to work on and can actually do the whole process from start to finish now! Not sure is I'll be ready for competition by the 6th of December though! It's fun doing BLD :)

chtiger

WCA
2015HARR03
Funny blind session today. Was practicing advanced M2, first solve was 2:31.88 which is my best M2 time, but then DNF(3:00.52) and 4:41.00, so I got annoyed and switched to OP edges and got a PB 2:14.96. The universe doesn't want me to switch to M2.

It was mentioned a while back that if you have targets BD-x (x is any target not on M slice), then you can solve as M2, setup x, M', undo x, M'. It's easy to see the similar algs for FU-x, x-BD, and x-FU. But is their any shortcuts for when both targets are on M-slice? Epecially BD-FU or FU-BD.
Edit: now I see you can move BD to BL or BR and FU to RU or LU. That's 18 moves instead of 22, so thats a little better
Edit again: Ohhh, for BD-FU you can setup FU to RU and do the trick for BD-RU. 11 moves, much better. Just forget I was here:)

Last edited:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
It was mentioned a while back that if you have targets BD-x (x is any target not on M slice), then you can solve as M2, setup x, M', undo x, M'. It's easy to see the similar algs for FU-x, x-BD, and x-FU. But is their any shortcuts for when both targets are on M-slice? Epecially BD-FU or FU-BD.
Edit: now I see you can move BD to BL or BR and FU to RU or LU. That's 18 moves instead of 22, so thats a little better
Edit again: Ohhh, for BD-FU you can setup FU to RU and do the trick for BD-RU. 11 moves, much better. Just forget I was here:)
Do an x rotation, then the alg for solving FU alone, but without the trailing M2. That will solve FU-BD. Similarly for BD-FU.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do an x rotation, then the alg for solving FU alone, but without the trailing M2. That will solve FU-BD. Similarly for BD-FU.

Thats a very nice trick!

After few days of break I've made few 3bld solves. After few dnfs I just did 1:14.8. But I'm not sure if I will count it as PB, because it was miscramble. I had 12 edge targets (one breaking into new cycle) but only 4 for corners, so it was easy... Anyway I'm surprised...

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
After few days of break I've made few 3bld solves. After few dnfs I just did 1:14.8. But I'm not sure if I will count it as PB, because it was miscramble. I had 12 edge targets (one breaking into new cycle) but only 4 for corners, so it was easy... Anyway I'm surprised...
Nice! I still have quite a bit of catching up to do. PB so far is 4:21.96.

D' B U2 F2 U2 B R D' R F2 U F' D L2 D2 B U' B2 L2 B' R D2 B L D2

Kind of lucky scramble, only one edge cycle required two setup moves, the rest one or none. Parity was also solved without setup moves.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice! I still have quite a bit of catching up to do. PB so far is 4:21.96.

D' B U2 F2 U2 B R D' R F2 U F' D L2 D2 B U' B2 L2 B' R D2 B L D2

Kind of lucky scramble, only one edge cycle required two setup moves, the rest one or none. Parity was also solved without setup moves.

Thanks. I dont know if your scramble is lucky - parity and no solved edge or corner, and you did your PB. Whoa! No luck - just skill. :)

On the other hand, I just did 5bld with time 20:54 and sub 10 minutes memo. It would be PB but one tredge was flipped. Didnt notice it. Happens!