• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
On the menu today: one bld attempt on each of my 3x3 cubes. Result:

bldfail.jpg

4x one flipped edge or corner pair
2x one 3-cycle executed in wrong direction
1x flipped edge pair+edge cycle executed in wrong direction
1x messed up setup moves

= 8/8 dnf :(

It's getting kind of frustrating to mostly have one mistake/solve. Times were in the 4:30-6:30 range, 2-3 minutes memo and 2:30-3:30 execution. I think all of the flipped edges/corners were memo mistakes, either I missed a flipped piece during memo, or memorized the wrong letter for some piece.

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I have been to India, Thailand, Germany, Scotland, USA, Rusia, Netherlands and Mexico Since I cube with my wife and the only videos I have are recorded by my sister, I rest my case. :p

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's getting kind of frustrating to mostly have one mistake/solve. Times were in the 4:30-6:30 range, 2-3 minutes memo and 2:30-3:30 execution. I think all of the flipped edges/corners were memo mistakes, either I missed a flipped piece during memo, or memorized the wrong letter for some piece.

You're in the beginnig of the road. Dont give up - in few months you will be 100% accurate.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

View attachment 5677

4x one flipped edge or corner pair
2x one 3-cycle executed in wrong direction
1x flipped edge pair+edge cycle executed in wrong direction
1x messed up setup moves

= 8/8 dnf :(

Still those are all pretty close... I woud be totally fine with these results today :)

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Still those are all pretty close... I woud be totally fine with these results today :)

Same here! That would be close enough to success for me right now. I was gonna ask if that had been a multi-blind attempt but now I'm reading again, where you explain the memo and execution time for each so I assume those were individual BLD attempts but with different cubes.

Back to 2x2 I am keeping my progress trend this week. I think I can consider myself as sub-6 with Ortega and, maybe for the 1st time I have been able to one-look 3 solves in my latest Ao100. Well, all of them included an OLL skip but if that's not the case is quite difficult to one-look an ortega solve unless you have super-spatial vision and you know really well how each OLL case permutes the corners and, even in that case it's not that easy.

One example:

3.27 U' F2 U2 F' R2 U' R2 U2 F'

x y' // Inspection. I see that I'll have orange face on bottom with white bar in front and OLL skip on top with white bar in the back so...

U' R' // Face
U2 // Top bar in front
R2 U' B2 U2 R2 U' R2 // PBL with no AUF

This and the following solve were both one look and got me a PB Ao5 of 4.31 = 3.61, (6.64), (3.27), 4.23, 5.10

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
You're in the beginnig of the road. Dont give up - in few months you will be 100% accurate.
Nope, definitely not giving up! I'm actually very happy with the progress so far. Still a week ago it was more like 6-7 minutes memo, >5 min execution and a lot more messy results. Times are dropping very fast as I'm getting more used to the cycles. I also started compiling a list with setup moves for each edge cycle. Not intending to learn them all by heart at this stage, but while making the list I'll notice which cycles are hard to figure out and I can memorize those cases. Once done with the list, I might also replace some tricky cases with standard comms if I find a better solution that way. The hardest cycles to figure out with my system are usually those cases that have 2 stickers interchangeable with an M or other slice move, so comms should complement these very nicely.

Same here! That would be close enough to success for me right now. I was gonna ask if that had been a multi-blind attempt but now I'm reading again, where you explain the memo and execution time for each so I assume those were individual BLD attempts but with different cubes.
Thanks! Yeah, multiblind would be a bit crazy at this point. Maybe I'll wait until I have at least 2 successful 3bld solves before attempting multi... But I'm sure I will eventually want to learn that as well. This is fun! :)

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
You are making impressive progress JanW. They were all very minor errors that will become increasingly rare. I do a lot of them myself as I get sloppy with things like flipped edges and parity. I need to come up with a proper system to follow.

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
You are making impressive progress JanW. They were all very minor errors that will become increasingly rare. I do a lot of them myself as I get sloppy with things like flipped edges and parity. I need to come up with a proper system to follow.
Thank you!

What kind of system do people usually use to spot and memo flipped pieces? So far I've just looked briefly over the cube at end of memo to see if there are any pieces that need flipping, then memorized the location visually (location of piece for edges and location of white/yellow sticker on corners that need flipping), but obviously this is not working very well. Sometimes I don't notice them in inspection, and when I do notice them I often forget to execute them, because they are not a part of the list of words/syllables in my memo.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you!

What kind of system do people usually use to spot and memo flipped pieces? So far I've just looked briefly over the cube at end of memo to see if there are any pieces that need flipping, then memorized the location visually (location of piece for edges and location of white/yellow sticker on corners that need flipping), but obviously this is not working very well. Sometimes I don't notice them in inspection, and when I do notice them I often forget to execute them, because they are not a part of the list of words/syllables in my memo.

Very relevant to my interests. I finally wanna do BLD in comp.

What I was doing was spotting them visually, then I tap that piece and also try to remember it with that teensy bit of muscle memory. For corners twists, I try to Set-up that piece in UFL, then I'll either do Left Antisune+Right Antisune for CW twists, or I'll do Right Sune + Left Sune for CCW twists. Then undo Set-up. Other people will just put the piece anywhere in the U layer, then Dan-Brown that piece and Anti-Dan Brown the buffer.

I wonder if any of that makes sense.

Remembering CW or CCW for a single twist is pretty easy, but I'm sure there's a more reliable system for it. If I have multiple corner twists, it gets kinda tough for me to keep track of. So I'm really interested to hear what other people say about this.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you!

What kind of system do people usually use to spot and memo flipped pieces?

Yes, your progress looks fine. I wonder where it will lead you.

About flipped edges, I just remeber it like a photo. Sometimes name it like "flipped K" or something. For twisted corners I just mark in what spot white or yellow sticker is. My orientation is yellow on top and memo it like, K, E or something. If there 2 or more twisted corners I just connect it in pair - twisted BC etc. I hope you know what I mean.

Chree, theres easy trick for twisted corners R U R' U' done twice than L' and undo U R U' R' twice and L. It works with setups, same on the L' U' etc. I think you will figure it out. For 3 corners you can do sune with U perm to undo permutation of edges.

I've been using Y and Z for twists and flips. YF means twist the RFU corner clockwise, ZF is counter-clockwise, and either can mean a flipped edge. It's probably not efficient but it fits into the Journey Method so it works just fine for MBLD. Also, since you use two letters for a single twist or flip, you can still identify parity by an odd letter at the end of your memo.

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
Chree, theres easy trick for twisted corners R U R' U' done twice than L' and undo U R U' R' twice and L. It works with setups, same on the L' U' etc. I think you will figure it out. For 3 corners you can do sune with U perm to undo permutation of edges.
Great trick! I've seen it mentioned before but didn't see the versatility of it. It's a commutator where the insertion phase rotates two different corners and you can do the interchange with either of them, so L moves for twisting two L face corners or D moves for twisting 2 D face corners. The cool thing is that you can also use this to twist 3 corners (UBL, DFR and any other L or D face corner) with a 2 move interchange. First move brings UBL or DFR out of it's spot and replaces it with the third corner to be twisted, second move places the piece you brought out into the opposite corner (UBL or DFR). For example twisting UBL, UFL and DFR would be [R U R' U' R U R' U', L' D2]. I think that could be faster than the sune and U-perm, which seems to require some AUF moves as well. But you need to be careful when twisting 3 corners with this one, it twists in different directions depending on which direction you do the interchange (if you use R U R' U', UBL travels to UFR = clockwise, UFR travels to UBL = counterclockwise).

I've been using Y and Z for twists and flips. YF means twist the RFU corner clockwise, ZF is counter-clockwise, and either can mean a flipped edge. It's probably not efficient but it fits into the Journey Method so it works just fine for MBLD. Also, since you use two letters for a single twist or flip, you can still identify parity by an odd letter at the end of your memo.
Nice idea, I'll try this! Y is already in use, but I could use D, which isn't used yet as it's on both my corner and edge buffer.

Last edited:

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you!

I use 2 targets for corners but for edges I use a double letter so for RB, using Spefzz, it could be TiT or NuN but I'm inconsistent about putting it in my memo and I often don't even spot them.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great trick!

I think a lot of blinders use it, but I dont know any english tutorial about it. I've learnt it from Maskow's tutorial. And I know Jałocha and Zalewski used sune/antisune Uperm for 3 corners on top*, and if they are on bottom Jałocha used: R U R' U' R U R' D R U' R' U R U' R' or for 3 corners (very rare!) 2*(R U R' U')D' 2*(R U R' U')D' 2*(R U R' U') D2. Etc. Theres a lot combinations as you mentioned.

I have a blog where a put some stuff about speedsolving, photos etc. It's in Polish but I think photos dont need to be translated. Here are few photos from Gdańsk Rubik's Cube Day. Just click in the first and you can see them all in bigger size.

Edit: *Zalewski's algs:
R U2 R' U' R U' R' U2 R' U2 R U R' U R U2,
R U R' U R U2 R' U2 R' U' R U' R' U2 R U2
R U2 R' U2 R' U' R U R U' R' U2 R' U2 R U'

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think a lot of blinders use it, but I dont know any english tutorial about it. I've learnt it from Maskow's tutorial. And I know Jałocha and Zalewski used sune/antisune Uperm for 3 corners on top*, and if they are on bottom Jałocha used: R U R' U' R U R' D R U' R' U R U' R' or for 3 corners (very rare!) 2*(R U R' U')D' 2*(R U R' U')D' 2*(R U R' U') D2. Etc. Theres a lot combinations as you mentioned.

I have a blog where a put some stuff about speedsolving, photos etc. It's in Polish but I think photos dont need to be translated. Here are few photos from Gdańsk Rubik's Cube Day. Just click in the first and you can see them all in bigger size.

Edit: *Zalewski's algs:
R U2 R' U' R U' R' U2 R' U2 R U R' U R U2,
R U R' U R U2 R' U2 R' U' R U' R' U2 R U2
R U2 R' U2 R' U' R U R U' R' U2 R' U2 R U'
Google did a decent job of translating it to English on my phone. :)