• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks to all!

@Mark - yes, full comms for corners. I must work on speed with them. In last solve I realized that I've made wrong corner twist so I had to redo it...

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Mark - yes, full comms for corners. I must work on speed with them. In last solve I realized that I've made wrong corner twist so I had to redo it...
Looks like you are about 30 memo and 50-60 to execute. I'm about 50-60 for each but my execution is faster than yours and almost pauseless - with OP I'm using a lot more moves. I know my memo can be improved, but I also need to work on efficiency because there's not much scope for improving my execution otherwise. Yours looks so much more relaxed despite taking about the same time :)

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looks like you are about 30 memo and 50-60 to execute. I'm about 50-60 for each but my execution is faster than yours and almost pauseless - with OP I'm using a lot more moves. I know my memo can be improved, but I also need to work on efficiency because there's not much scope for improving my execution otherwise. Yours looks so much more relaxed despite taking about the same time :)

OP for edges too? In that case a 50sec execution is dang fast!

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Yes you're right. It's around 20-30 for corners and same for edges. I think it's easier to be pauseless with OP - when you do alg you can think about your next target. With comms I need to focus more what I'm doing. But I think I'm slowly getting better with it. My edges are more better. If they are efficient it comes from using advanced M2 (your thread is great source) and I found some shortcuts like cancelation of some moves. It came out of nowhere. At the moment I'm trying not to speed up to increase accuracy. When I will feel comfortable with it I'll try to be faster.

Edit: I got 58 second solve on camera but I made some kind of cheat - I redo scramble which I dnfed and redo memo and execution. Memo was 20 seconds and execution 38. I think and the moment this shows my limits. That's why I did it. :) I wont upload it.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
OP for edges too? In that case a 50sec execution is dang fast!
No; advanced M2 edges, OP corners. My edges are not too bad. Roughly it costs me 2s/target for edges and 3s/target for corners. A few fast corner comms would surely improve my times, although I'm not convinced comms would help my edges significantly.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it's easier to be pauseless with OP - when you do alg you can think about your next target. With comms I need to focus more what I'm doing.
Double post, sorry. Yes with both OP and M2 it's easy to think ahead. Any kind of thinking about what I'm doing during exec slows me down, even some advanced M2 tricks. When timing, as you said earlier, I only use the tricks I know very well. I do know some comms, but hate to pause to do them :). That's one reason sighted untimed practice is important.

I was very pleased with myself a couple of days ago after I used an A-perm during a timed solve with no pause and got a decent time :)

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Double post, sorry. Yes with both OP and M2 it's easy to think ahead. Any kind of thinking about what I'm doing during exec slows me down, even some advanced M2 tricks. When timing, as you said earlier, I only use the tricks I know very well. I do know some comms, but hate to pause to do them :). That's one reason sighted untimed practice is important.

I was very pleased with myself a couple of days ago after I used an A-perm during a timed solve with no pause and got a decent time :)

Same with me - I think I'm able to solve whole cube with comms but I need so much time that it's useless skill at the moment. I remeber someone from India has mentioned that he can solve cube with average 5 moves per edge with advanced M2 and cancelations. I think it's worth to keep it in mind.

Just 5 minutes ago I got 57.11 solve with 8 targets for edges and 8 for corners. But it was the cube "after I dnfed earlier" so it doesnt count... :)

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm practicing advanced M2 edges mostly. I'm trying to improve my images memo to give me a chance at multi although I keep getting lazy and switching to audio. Also using as many tricks in the execution as possible to get them bedded in. No timed solves and success rate is lower than expected but I think I'm improving.

The only other thing I'm working on is G perms. I was off sick yesterday so learned Gc. 1 to go for full PLL.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
You'll probably beat me to it. I haven't learned either of the N-perms yet.

I've been looking at 3BLD myself recently, just doing sighted OP solves at the moment though.

The G perms are easier than I thought. They flow quite nicely and I hadn't appreciated that they are all mirrors or inverses of each other. Wish I'd learned them earlier.

I learned a new N recently (r' D' r U2) x 5. It's much less fiddly than what I currently use.

RicardoRix

WCA
2013LEIS01
This is really weird, I swear I perform: R U R' U (J-perm) R U2 R'
but this is not on algdb.net, nor is the left hand mirror version.

I regret taking the shortcut and learning some of the left-handed mirrors, for example the U-Perm. It is in fact much easier to perform the alg from the back and with the right hand.

I've just come across a similar solution to OLL36
where I find R' U' R U' R' U R U R B' R' B far easier than the left-handed version y2 L' U' L U' L' U L U L F' L' F.
By the number on algdb though, I'm in a minority of 36 to 1. What's peoples problem with B moves?

SenorJuan

B moves are evil, like garlic, and should be avoided at all cost.

A more practical answer: my normal 2H grip has 3 fingers holding/blocking the B face, so it's never going to move without some odd re-gripping, and if re-gripping is needed, I'd sooner do a y so my B becomes R. So in the alg you mentioned,
(R' U' R U' R' U R U R B' R' B) I would end it ...R U R y R' F' R or maybe ...R U R y l' U' l.

It's possible wide f / f' moves may substitute in certain circumstances, but my personal repertoire doesn't feature them much.

Last edited:

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
I've just come across a similar solution to OLL36
where I find R' U' R U' R' U R U R B' R' B far easier than the left-handed version y2 L' U' L U' L' U L U L F' L' F.
By the number on algdb though, I'm in a minority of 36 to 1. What's peoples problem with B moves?

Hmmm... I'll have to consider switching to the R'U'R alg now...

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First few solves with Gans 356 V2 Advanced. I like the cube, it feels more stable than the V1, but that might be the 'new cube' feeling. Other than that, I do not think that if you like your V1 you should invest in a V2. Just my 2 cents. It will be my main for now :)

Last edited by a moderator: