• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never have been more excited about a cube as this one. It is amazing.. No lock ups, fast, controllable and very very forgiving. I have it on factory tentions and no lube. I did probably 300 solves with it in the last two days.. and yeah.. main cube for sure. (PB's are usually a good sign about a cube ;) )
Awesome! Yeah, it's about time I have a new main, I've been using a WeiLong V1 for over a year haha. Are you going to get the Gans 356 as well?

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
LOL.. Still averaging at the 20 secs mark though.. :)

I think I've got my average back to about 21s now. My new OLLs are starting to bed in and some of them end up as sub-20 solves.

My single times are also coming back and I had a couple of 14's today along with a 15 and a couple of 16's at lunch time.

I think I missed out on a big single PB during that session... 2 move cross, 7 move pair, 3 x 3 move pairs (all fast turning without pauses) but I accidentally twisted a corner on the last pair. The F2L felt several seconds faster than my 14s solves but the twisted corner took a while to sort out... I couldn't decide if it was an L or awkward case with a twisted corner. Doh!

General feeling... I think I'm progressing again. :)

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not yet. This HuaLong is pretty much perfect.. When I get bored with it then I might :)
I just tried two HuaLongs at a meetup a couple days ago, they were both amazing. There's one on the way for me. I read some reviews of the gans on thecubicle.us and some people thought it was better than the HuaLong, my issye with it though is I have huge hands so a 56 MM cube would be too small for me.

Cubeologist

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
PB! I can see myself improving

avg of 5: 15.23

Time List:
1. 15.37 R2 U B2 R2 F2 D2 R2 F2 D U2 B' R F2 U' B2 F D F' L' U'
2. (18.20) D2 B2 F2 R2 U F2 D2 B2 D' R B D' B2 L U B2 F U' R2
3. 15.38 D' L2 F2 R' F2 R' B2 L B2 D2 R F' R F R D F R2
4. 14.94 F2 U R2 B2 U2 F2 U' B2 D' B2 R2 L' B' U F2 L' U F2 U' B2 F'
5. (14.70) B L' F B U2 L B2 U' L R2 F2 U R2 D' R2 F2 U2 B2 R2 D2 F'

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just tried two HuaLongs at a meetup a couple days ago, they were both amazing. There's one on the way for me. I read some reviews of the gans on thecubicle.us and some people thought it was better than the HuaLong, my issye with it though is I have huge hands so a 56 MM cube would be too small for me.

Okay, I caved in. You convinsed me to order one :) Although I think the HuaLong is pretty much perfect.. I think I need the Gan356 too LOL..
PB! I can see myself improving

avg of 5: 15.23

Nice!! What cube?

So I have not been practicing a lot lately. I have looked into organising a competition a bit but it seems more work than I can handle probably.. I just did an Ao50 on red cross only.. I got a 20.25.. That was fun :)

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, I caved in. You convinsed me to order one :) Although I think the HuaLong is pretty much perfect.. I think I need the Gan356 too LOL..

Nice!! What cube?

So I have not been practicing a lot lately. I have looked into organising a competition a bit but it seems more work than I can handle probably.. I just did an Ao50 on red cross only.. I got a 20.25.. That was fun :)
Just got my HuaLong yesterday and man I love this cube! Instant new main, I love the speed. I also tried my friend's new Gans yesterday pretty much right out of the box, it and the HuaLong are going to be pretty darn even as people's mains. IMO, it wasn't as ridiculously fast as the HuaLong, but it has better overall performance like less lockups and stuff. You'll be glad that I convinced you :)

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My first solves of the day with the HuaLong without warm up :)

https://youtu.be/YHxkoboxNm8
Sweet solves! This cube is amazing. I am in the middle of an ao100 with the Hualong at the moment. I'm at the 50 solve mark and the average is 15.62 so if I can keep this rolling it could be a new PB ao100 :) Haven't even lubed or tensioned yet.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nicest one of this month :)

12.96 F R2 F' L2 U2 B D2 B' L2 F2 U2 D' L' U B2 F2 L U' F' U2 F'

z' // inspection Orange on bottom, green on F
U R2 // CROSS (2/60)
U2 R U' R' U R' U2 R U2 R' U R // 1ST F2L (12/60)
U' R U' R' U2 y' R U R' //2ND (9/60)
U2 y' R U2 R' U' y R' U' R //3RD (9/60)
U L' U2 L U' L' U L //4TH (8/60)
U R U R' U R U2 R' //OLL (7/60)
U2 R' U' R y R2 u R' U R U' R u' R2 //PLL (13/60)

4.6 TPS
Cube: Cyclone Boys
Edit: oh and.. Orange is my worst cross color :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice solve! I've tried CN before, it's pretty hard. Good job sticking with it! What do you average CN now?

I solve CN only. So my global average is my CN average. I have this strategy, when doing untimed solves I do no white/black and no yellow, but only green/blue/red or orange. When I do timed solves I look for the easiest cross in the following order, white, yellow, and then whatever hits my eye. This results in many yellow/white solves in timed solves. However, when there is a very nice blue/red/orange or green cross I will not hesitate. This strategy takes care of being too hesitative about what cross color to choose. Every solve I have a plan of attack and it works great.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nicest one of this month :)

12.96 full step...

Edit: oh and.. Orange is my worst cross color :)

I've just got back from a few days away and find these videos screaming to be watched:

- WR... Antoine's OH average
- WR... Colin's WR single
- Sub-13... Marcel's full step single

Cool solve Marcel, especially since it is a fairly typical move count.

I haven't got a lot of news but after a small hiatus in practice, I got my first OH sub-40 Ao12 last week - 38.82.

I will collect my new HuaLong's from the mail depot today (one black + one white). I'm really looking forward to trying them out and seeing how I get on with a black cube!

Last edited:

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just picked up my HuaLongs... two things I notice immediately.

1) They are really nice cubes
2) I have no issues with recognition on black cubes after using white cubes for most of my cubing life

Black cube: No lubrication, no break-in, no warm up...

HuaLong.png

PB Ao12 of 18.86... first one since Nov 2014.

Edit:
I've also tried it for OH... Ao50 = 41.32. It feels nice and stable but perhaps a little stiff out the box.

I'm yet to tension it but I'm really liking the HuaLong. I might switch to black for my main. :)

Last edited:

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome! I think you mean HuaLongs? They are great cubes indeed. My current main. I have a Gan 356 comming though. :) Nice to see you can solve black without any problems. Are you color neutral?

Yup... HuaLong.

I switched to CN when I was averaging a little under 40 seconds. I spend 1-2 seconds scanning the cube looking for [potentially] easy crosses (typically edges connected to their centre) then I start planning crosses in the order which I think they are likely to be easiest. If a cross feels a bit nasty during planning, I move to another colour and if no colours look easy during the initial scanning, I just default to white / yellow.

I think I'm finally back on par with my times late in 2014 but I feel like I have the potential to go faster now. Once I stop making silly mistakes, I'm hoping my times will start to improve.

Just now...

14+: 1
16+: 9
18+: 37
20+: 30
22+: 9
24+: 11
26+: 2
28+: 1

The 24's solves tend to be when I do >4 F2L slots, multiple OLL's or PLL's.

Last edited:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello folks, I'm still here. Nice to see the regular progress on this thread!

I haven't cubed much recently, and when I have, it's been drilling algs or doing blind cross practice. I haven't had much time to cube in daylight hours so have been doing the kind of practice that still works in low light or can be done idly while on the phone concentrating on very important and interesting meetings ;)

Anyway... Inspired by Collin's WR, I picked up an AoLong today and did a few full solves in daylight. My first timed session of full solves for six weeks, and I wiped half a second off all PBs except single! 18.88 ao100, 18.42 ao50, 17.27 ao12, 16.19 ao5.

Cross practice rocks :D

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yup... HuaLong.

I think I'm finally back on par with my times late in 2014 but I feel like I have the potential to go faster now. Once I stop making silly mistakes, I'm hoping my times will start to improve.

The 24's solves tend to be when I do >4 F2L slots, multiple OLL's or PLL's.

Yeah, same here. Doing 3 OLL's is nothing weird for me.. LOL Even two PLL's happen regularly.

Hello folks, I'm still here. Nice to see the regular progress on this thread!

I haven't cubed much recently, and when I have, it's been drilling algs or doing blind cross practice. I haven't had much time to cube in daylight hours so have been doing the kind of practice that still works in low light or can be done idly while on the phone concentrating on very important and interesting meetings ;)

Anyway... Inspired by Collin's WR, I picked up an AoLong today and did a few full solves in daylight. My first timed session of full solves for six weeks, and I wiped half a second off all PBs except single! 18.88 ao100, 18.42 ao50, 17.27 ao12, 16.19 ao5.

Cross practice rocks :D

Hey nice to see you here again. I wondered where you and Melody (SneaklyFox) had gone. All your PB's are faster than mine now. Good job! Now I have some work to do..LOL.. I think you will need the HuaLong also.. Did you order it allready? It is really great.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome back Mark and nice times.

You and Marcel are both around 1.5s faster than me now so I have some work to do if I'm to close the gap.

You are providing me with good motivation. :)