• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
Judging by your official times it looks like you're faster than the rest of us on big cubes.

Possibly. My 3x3 has pretty much flatlined at sub 28 but I'm still making consistent progress on the big cubes. It looks like I'll be averaging sub 1:00/2:00/4:00/7:00 on 4/5/6/7 in a few months if progress continues. Go figure.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really like the G4. It's the first 4x4 that doesn't catch on the internals. I still need to get used to the size but I don't think that will be a problem.

Anyway, first time posting to this epic thread. My name is Mike. I'm 42 and do 2x2 through 7x7. I'm not very fast but I know full OLL, PLL and CLL and am learning more algorithms for OH and alternates for big cubes.

Hi Mike, welcome here. Nice to see another 40-er here.

I have already got used to the smaller size of G4 so that AoSu feels really akward. :) Their 5x5 is also very very awesome.

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
I have already got used to the smaller size of G4 so that AoSu feels really akward. :) Their 5x5 is also very very awesome.

I think the CB 5x5 is excellent, too but I have a hard time controlling it. Maybe I need to overlube it a bit. I tightened it as much as possible already. It's still the AoChuang for me but that's not a flawless cube, either. I'm curious what the YuXin 5x5 will be like.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok. I've been inspired to dig my 5x5x5 out of my cube graveyard and do some solves... first time in 6 months.

PBs for single and Ao5 - 3:15.93 and 3:39.55. I guess my recent 4x4 practice has helped my 5x5x5. :)

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi I'm Jason from Texas. I'm 40 and recently started working on cubing for speed. I'm averaging about 42 seconds at the moment for 3x3. Just joining this thread to "hang out" with some fellow old folks. ;)
Hi Jason, welcome!
Don't worry about it, you'll be faster than your age in no time ;)

LOL, two whole seconds?

Ok. I've been inspired to dig my 5x5x5 out of my cube graveyard and do some solves... first time in 6 months.

PBs for single and Ao5 - 3:15.93 and 3:39.55. I guess my recent 4x4 practice has helped my 5x5x5. :)

I still suck big time at 5x5.. but I enjoy it.. :)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome Jason and Mike, always nice to see more oldies on board. Suggestion: maybe we should ask a mod to rename this thread to "older cubers discussion" or similar, and move it out of off-topic into one of the general subgroups?

Nice to see you picking up 5x5 again, Mike G :D

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
Welcome Jason and Mike, always nice to see more oldies on board. Suggestion: maybe we should ask a mod to rename this thread to "older cubers discussion" or similar, and move it out of off-topic into one of the general subgroups?

That's a good idea. I didn't post here for a long time because I felt like I was intruding or something.

I have long been arguing in favor of an official WCA "masters" division for competitors over 35 or 40. Age brackets are very common in other competitive activities ranging from Olympic Weightlifting to Chess.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it is a great idea to rename the thread. How shall I go about it? And do you all like 'Older cubers discussion'?

I was just thinking the same thing myself yesterday. "Older cubers discussion" is fine as a title.

That's a good idea. I didn't post here for a long time because I felt like I was intruding or something.

I felt the same before I started posting. Hopefully a change of title will encourage others to join in the discussion. :)

I have long been arguing in favor of an official WCA "masters" division for competitors over 35 or 40

I'm all in favour of that idea. The WCA do not share age information at the moment but they do plan to have a opt-in system in the future.

I've updated my how fast are the over 40's thread using the latest WCA data.

chtiger

WCA
2015HARR03
Late congrats on going 5/5 on your first competition goals.

Question for Mark or anyone else who is around 3-4 minute 3bld. How long does it take you to trace the pieces if you aren't trying to remember them? I don't mean just flying thru it visually (unless that's how you memo), but say the letters to yourself, pair them up or however you would normally memo, but don't actually try to memorize anything.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Question for Mark or anyone else who is around 3-4 minute 3bld. How long does it take you to trace the pieces if you aren't trying to remember them? I don't mean just flying thru it visually (unless that's how you memo), but say the letters to yourself, pair them up or however you would normally memo, but don't actually try to memorize anything.
Just did an ao5 and it was about 1:20. The tracing of cycles seems fairly quick, it seems to be the retracing after a cycle break to identify untouched pieces that slows me down.

Definitely I will practise this step independently of actual memo or solving, as that seems like way too long.

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I see it has been renamed, which is cool. Although I think it's also cool to use the original thread name as kind of "cultish" name. You know refer to all us oldies as a "Marcel from Holland"! :) It would be fun to be at a competition and say, "are you a Marcel from Holland" to someone and have them say yes! And then go on to beat all the kids and set new world records of course... Yes I have an active imagination ;)

Last edited:

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
I see it has been renamed, which is cool. Although I think it's also cool to use the original thread name as kind of "cultish" name. You know refer to all us oldies as a "Marcel from Poland"! :) It would be fun to be at a competition and say, "are you a Marcel from Poland" to someone and have them say yes! And then go on to beat all the kids and set new world records of course... Yes I have an active imagination ;)

Lol Holland=/=Poland