• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Pyraminx Notation -> Rotations / Face Turns

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Everyone who solves the Pyraminx knows the R, L, U and B for wide turns and r, l, u and b for the tips. But, many solves include rotations. If we ever get a version of alg.garron for pyraminx for reconstructions, how will we show rotations?. Some ideas suggested were to use oR to say a rotation (orientation) clockwise around the R turn or to put the rotation in brackets (e.g. (R)) to denote a rotation like an R turn. The only problem with this is that brackets are usually used to show moves that are done at the same time and this often happens with tips. Also, some people turn a face rather than around a point. How would we show this? One idea suggested was to have Rw for a clockwise face turn of the face opposite the R point.

Let's have one notation set for Pyraminx that covers everything here. In a nutshell, what I am proposing is:
  • Keep the R, L, U and B for wide turns and r, l, u and b for the tips
  • Add symbols for rotations (I would suggest having the oR for a rotation (orientation) clockwise around the R point)
  • Add symbols for face turns (I would suggest the Rw for a clockwise face turn of the face opposite the R point idea)
Feel free to discuss all the above points, suggest other ideas and add anything else that will help with this whole discussion.

Here are two example solves (with red as F and blue as D) showing the notation like this:
  • L, R, U, B, l, r, u and b as usual
  • oL, oR, oU and oB for rotations
  • Rw, Lw, Fw and Dw for face turns (although the example solves don't contain these, if someone uses a method that has face turns, could they give an example solve please)
Scramble: l r' b' u L B' R L' U R B U R' B L

B' U' R' L' // X-Cross
oU' R U' R' // 2nd edge
oU L' U L // 3rd edge
U' L U R U' R' L' // LL
u' r l' b // Tips

Scramble: r b u' L R' U B' R U L' R' L' U' B' U

oB // Inspection
U R' L R' // XX-Cross
oL L' U' L // 3rd edge
oU R' L R L' U L' U' L // LL
u' r' oU r // Tips

Last edited:

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
For face turns, I'd prefer Rw, Lw, Dw, and Fw.

I think that was another of the ideas. That is simpler though as it's the Front face, Downward face etc.

Also, I'll try to do some example solves with this idea, so people have an idea how this works.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
How I notate pyraminx stuff:
  • R, L, B, U and r, l, b, u (normal... no explanation needed)
  • Rw, Lw, Fw, Dw for face turn, where the first letter tells which face it is (so Fw is the front face turn)
  • [R], [L], , japanese rotation system :3 so is a rotation around the U axis

source: http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Pyraminx_notation go to the "another extension system"

I checked around if anyone had discussed this very same idea and I did see that. The only thing is that there are many ideas. I think we as a community need to settle to one set of notation to avoid confusion. We can say the same for 3x3 and 4x4, but they are very different from Pyraminx.