• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[wiki] What are you famous for?

macky

Premium Member
WCA
2003MAKI01
As some of you know, I've been writing wiki articles on [wiki]Category:Notable Cubers[/wiki], among others. Many are still rough. Here are some decent ones: [wiki]Gaétan Guimond[/wiki], [wiki]Bob Burton[/wiki], [wiki]Stefan Pochmann[/wiki].

My original hope was for others to contribute as much content. That hasn't happened except on a very few pages.

So here's a new plan: write an article about yourself and send it to me.
Email: Gmail account smakisumi
Title (e.g.): [wiki] Rowe Hessler
I'll edit it (to confirm neutrality) and add it to the wiki. Since I don't want to debate notability, please do this only if you already have a wiki article. Please also suggest to me cubers who deserve an article.

Some things to include
* 1st paragraph of 2-3 sentences summarizing what you're best known for
* cubing progression; see for example [wiki]Marcell Endrey[/wiki]. I can imagine Rowe's article having subsections for various phases of his cubing career.
* main achievements (records, official/unofficial milestones, notable competition appearances, methods)

This clearly isn't the most neutral way to get articles written, but I think it's more important at this stage of the wiki to keep adding content. Editing can happen once the wiki gathers enough momentum and has more regular contributers.

I welcome any comments or suggestions here.

macky

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think I should write my own entry for this. There are a ton of things I've done that I think are awesome but that few others care about, and other things that were a random idea I had that other people started using. I don't think I could provide good information on the topic, basically.

macky

Premium Member
WCA
2003MAKI01
I don't think I should write my own entry for this. There are a ton of things I've done that I think are awesome but that few others care about, and other things that were a random idea I had that other people started using. I don't think I could provide good information on the topic, basically.

[edited at least 30 times]
Even you could write about your own progression (in competitive cubing and in interests). Just off the top of my head, the following would be of interest:
* When did you start cubing? Did you focus on big cubes from the beginning?
* When were you considered fast at physical big cubes? Records? Major wins? Who were other fast American cubers of the same period? Who were the favorites at major competitions? Any unexpected outcome? Who came before and after? How did the US compare to the rest of the world in these events at the time?
* When during this progression was the move from NY to CA?
* When did you start to specialize in computer cubes? Were you among the first? Who were some others? How dominant were you at computer cubes, during what periods? Which simulators? How did you come to assume the role of the organizer of the computer cube contests? Notable achievements, records?
* Where do we see you online? How often have you been on IRC over the years? Forum Awards?

I don't have the time to find out and write down all this information into a coherent narrative. Checking is easy as long as you provide appropriate citation. I especially need help understanding how competitive you were in your best events and who your main competitors were. Since I wasn't following the event at the time, it's possible but takes a lot of work to infer this information from the numbers alone.

As for your contributions, yeah, you're pretty special in having many projects, but you know the facts the best.
* When did you start writing your own simulators? A list of your simulators and extensions by others (with dates). How is simulator X different from older ones?
* When did you write qqTimer? How is it different from older timers?
* Other projects, proposed methods

Once that's in, we can worry about figuring out the general consensus on what's significant. Even there, since I don't have the time to interview people, a bullet point of what you think is important and people to ask would be a helpful starting point. Things I absolutely can't get from you aren't many. For example, the way you are perceived on this forum.

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
lolwut, how did I get on that list? I know an American wrote my blurb because some nub spelt "organised" wrong. :p

Also, gl getting Justin Bieber to write his own one :tu

macky

Premium Member
WCA
2003MAKI01
Last edited:

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, not so sure if people should be writing their own wiki articles, feels a bit rich :p

People could post here or PM you with a quick list of accomplishments though I guess? If each person submitting promised to write a wiki article for another person listed I'm sure it'd be perfectly workable.

rowehessler

Mine looks good except for a few things
- the information is outdated about being national champion.
- my alias was never or will never be "the hat"
- can you take out the "trivia" section?

aronpm

Brest and I updated it

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
I think 5BLD's incredible achievement of being so fast in so little time should be more heavily noted. I mean, it still blows my mind.

macky

Premium Member
WCA
2003MAKI01
Hmm, not so sure if people should be writing their own wiki articles, feels a bit rich :p
See my post #4 for things I think the person knows the best about. Judging accomplishments is another thing.

People could post here or PM you with a quick list of accomplishments though I guess? If each person submitting promised to write a wiki article for another person listed I'm sure it'd be perfectly workable.
If people aren't comfortable writing everything out, then even a list would help. I don't think most people will take the time to write a good article about someone else, though, and an editor will still have to go through it.

Probably being a little biased, but I think Chris Olson deserves one. He was once 3rd in the world for 2x2 and uses full EG. He's still 4th in the world, by the way.

Done: [wiki]Christopher Olson[/wiki]. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, as the wiki grows into a serious project, these funny bits will inevitably be deleted.

I think 5BLD's incredible achievement of being so fast in so little time should be more heavily noted. I mean, it still blows my mind.

I welcome more comments like this. They're often the only way I can judge notability.

If you hadn't mentioned them, I might have never read them, but now I had to :p

It's still missing your progression, starting from your days as the all-around puzzle man.

Hippolyte!!!

WCA
2008MORE02
A big problem IMO is that many, many people deserves a wiki article. With a bit time and not even a PC, I could easily name 100 people who could logically have an article about themselves (judging by the people who already have one). So hard work to recense them, and write about...
I don't know if it's possible, but a idea could be: send an explicative note to all WCA delegates, to ask them a relatively short list of cubers from their country who stand out for times, titles or investment since 2003?