• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One handed Roux cube idea

• Thread starter Deleted member 15503
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15503

today I had this idea for a new kind of 3x3 cube: what if you could make a cube that allows slice turns like a v cube 6x6, like where you turn the middel layer and while only holding one of the outer layers, the other one also doesn't turn.
what would this mean?
I think that this would instantly make roux the best method for one handed, cause after the first block, its no rotations anymore, and after the second, completely 2-gen!
someone has to make this cube!!

D

Deleted member 15503

Roux is already the best method for one handed, because you can just use the table instead.

Yes I did some research after I had this idea and I saw people do that..
but i still thing such a cube would be better that using th table :p
more comfortable position, and the table is not in the way of the u turns anymore..

peterbone

YouTube
Visit Channel
How would it work so that you could also turn the outer layers individually? I don't think this is possible unless you could somehow switch it into a slice turning mode.
Edit: I guess you could have a button on the right or left centre that locks the L and R faces together when pushed. You engage this when you get to your MU stage. I can think of a simple mechanism that would allow this to work, like a clutch. Would this be competition legal though?

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The table isn't in the way of U turns anyway.

Some of us like resting on the table :/

It's a cool idea, but implementation would be difficult.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cited in [wiki]Table abuse[/wiki]. Who first used the table? I want to see some more background.

Cool article.

I'm pretty sure I started the OH roux table thing.

People seem to want to make a distinction between using the table to realign and use it for assisting moves, saying one technique is legitimate and the other is not. I don't see the difference, either way is table assisted solving.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
The article is incorrect. It DID appear explicitly in the regulations that use of the table was illegal. This was changed in the 2008 revision.

See here in the 2004 Regulations. It also says this in 2005, 2006, and 2007.
Article C: One-handed solving

Events categorized under One-handed Solving must abide to the following procedure:

See Article A.

During the solve the competitor may only use one hand. No other body part or the table or any other available object may touch the puzzle. Once a competitor touches the puzzle with one hand, he may not touch the puzzle with the other hand.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cool but might become a little controversial if it happens as it's already stepping a little away from the concept of the puzzle... Though it would certainly open up possibilities to two handed solving too ;)

If it went through I'd still use the table because I'm not slow with it and it looks cool.

D

Deleted member 15503

Does anybody know how this works on a 6x6? because that needs no button and works...

and i dont think it takes you away from the concept of the puzzle, a think using the table brings you further for one handed solving :)

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
it's hard to make a cube that does this and is still good.

Really? I believe you just stated an assumption as fact.

Has anyone actually tried to do this? I like the idea but it seems like it would have too small a market for anyone to mass produce it.

Last edited:

macky

Premium Member
WCA
2003MAKI01
The article is incorrect. It DID appear explicitly in the regulations that use of the table was illegal. This was changed in the 2008 revision.

See here in the 2004 Regulations. It also says this in 2005, 2006, and 2007.
Thanks! I corrected the article and included links to the old regulations.