• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ideas for a report on cubing?

ZamHalen

In your kitchen.Where do you keep your toaster?
WCA
2014ZAMO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need to write an essay pertaining to math and I figured I may as well do it based on cubing or cube theory.
So far I've been thinking:
States/cases
Probabilities
Commutators
# of possible states
God's Number (the basic concept with just a bit of depth)
Scramble/solve depth

If anyone has a recommendation on the subject or any sort of source material that would be great. Please note though it is just for pre-cal so I can't do anything too crazy or else my teacher may think I cheated.
Thanks

monkeytherat

Well the classic Rubik's Cube - Math topic is group theory and how it relates to the cube, but if you haven't taken abstract algebra, that may be quite confusing. If you do group theory, you could work in commutators / conjugates, and explain how you went about finding the group.

retep

Perhaps mention something about the orientation and permutation of the pieces (if possible, why there are only so many cases, like why can you not get odd number of correctly oriented edge pieces after F2L)

ZamHalen

In your kitchen.Where do you keep your toaster?
WCA
2014ZAMO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well the classic Rubik's Cube - Math topic is group theory and how it relates to the cube, but if you haven't taken abstract algebra, that may be quite confusing. If you do group theory, you could work in commutators / conjugates, and explain how you went about finding the group.
I considered this, but like you said it's a bit advanced for just a pre-cal class.