• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Springs in the Rubik's 3x3 brand...

ive been speedcubing for a while now (about a year and a half to two years)
and.. today.. suddenly, when i turned my a U, it suddenly sprung back to its original position..

i hear and feel the springs going back and forth... and i cant seem to fix it

does ne1 have ne ideas?

cubes

well i have never encountered a problem like that but some of my cubes do make that spring sound but unless it is like your best cube i would buy a new one lol =P

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, I have a Rubik's Brand cube, and when I turn the top yellow face, (U Face), it makes a squeaky sound. It only does the when I turn it slowly, because when I use finger tricks I can't hear it, but it's a little annoying and I also want to know how to fix it. It's only my yellow face which is kind of weird (yellow is my top color so I use a lot of U and R turns).

DAE_JA_VOO

Yeah, one of my Rubik's brand cubes are the same. It doesn't pop back into place, but i can hear the spring. I don't REALLY care though, because the only cube i use anymore is my Type A DIY. A Rubik's store bought cube feels like CRAP in comparison.

Crzyazn

One friend of mine was determined enough to pop the center caps off of his storebought (it was.....brutal)

you might be able to do something by messing with the rivet and washer....but idk...

CuberDude

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've bought 5 store bought cubes and all of them does have the scratchy-spring sound. And it seems like the tighter centre piece has the loudest sound as compared to the rest.

Last edited:

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah none of this seems relevant. I've never heard of a cube springing back after turning but it's awesome lol. If it were mine I'd just turn U until it either broke lose, or snapped the spring. But then again I hate storeboughts.

soccerking813

Perhaps you should try taking the pieces off from that layer and seeing if you can twist it back to normal, so that it doesn't do that anymore. Maybe try doing that, and lifting the center piece up a little, then turning it around.

daniel0731ex

i think it's because your bottom of the center piece is worn out due to the rubb against of spring& plactic. so the spring would not glide on the plastic when it caught on the rivet's molding lines (note that spring usually turns with the center piece and glides on the plactic occesionally.)

bamman1108

Try making one U turn, but hold the layer in place, then rotate the R layer and see if the U layer snaps back then.

Other then that, I have no idea how to fix that whatsoever.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
guys, just let the thread die please. He hasn't been on the forum in ~5 months. I doubt he still needs help or will even see this if he does.