• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Shengshou 5x5 core problems

cubeone

Hello! I bought a ss 5x5 a month or so ago, and when I took it apart there seemed to be a crack in the core. The crack is right in between the area where the orange center piece meets at the actual core. The crack is short but a little wide and I can see inside that part of the core when examining it. Also, the orange side seems to be looser than all of the other sides by a god margin, and I think the two problems are directly related. I'm not sure what to do, since I have never actually disassembled a core. Should I try to fix it or should I call icubemart (the place I bought it from) and ask them to send me a new core/cube?

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Talk to iCubeMart about it. I had this problem with cracked center pieces on a cube and they sent me replacements for free after some negotiating. The only thing is that their policy says that they only replace broken cubes within a week of purchasing.
If you say that you won't be ordering from them again if it doesn't get fixed, remind them that "It's about you" (slogan), act all disappointed and stuff, (be firm!) then they might still send you a replacement if you pay for shipping, but idk... Don't quote me on this

wytefury

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys, I ordered a new SS 5x5 about a month ago and I got it in the mail a couple of days later. When I was taking it apart to lube/mod/etc first thing I noticed was that they had changed the core to a white one instead of the old orange one. I also noticed a couple of slight differences in the two. But alright that isn't the problem...

As I was examining it I realized the core had a crack in it on one of the ends. So anyway I emailed the shop where I ordered it and they sent me a new one right away. I got the new one in the mail a couple days ago and again I took it apart and in this one there are 2 much smaller cracks on two ends of the core. I think for now I am going to try to super glue these two smaller cracks shut...it'll probably only be temporary though. I was just curious though if I was the only one with this problem(obviously the original poster also did...), and also what I should do about it. I feel bad asking for another replacement. Are the new cores weaker or what's up?

wytefury

YouTube
Visit Channel
i actually bought mine from cubedepot, i just chose not to say where I had bought it from in my post. I honestly doubt its the store though...especially since this is the second one