• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Konsta Mod] ShengShou 4x4 solution to internal lock-ups

Stingray970

Well I know that the Florian mod works wonders for a v4, but the Konsta mod didn't seem to make much of a difference. I might've just executed that mod incorrectly, however.

NOLAcuber

I have a SS4 v4 and just did both mods and it didn't seem to help. Also there doesn't seem to be much play in the core, or maybe my springs are not long enough? I lubed the core and pieces w 30k diff oil. It doesn't corner cut even a half cubie. Did I not take off enough in the mod? Does it need breaking in, as it was new and only had 6 or so solves before the mod?

Also how do you add pics?

Last edited:

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
or maybe my springs are not long enough?

I've compressed all springs in all my shengshou cubes, feeling that they are always too long.
And when I modded my ss4 it was pretty much unused, as it felt really horrible without mods.
So my opinion is that you don't need to break it in after modding, but someone may think differently.

Ezman1

Modded shengshou 4x4 keeps coming out of alignment

i recently modded my shengshou 4x4 v3 (konsta and florian mod, saw it on youtube) and now it keeps coming out of aligment iv noticed its only on the orange layer any ideas on how to fix this?

YouTube
Visit Channel
Amazing Shengshou 4x4

I have recently done the Konsta Florian Mod to my Shengshou 4x4 V4 and it is AMAZING!!! What is different about though is that I have lubed it with a mix of Lubix, 30K Weight Traxxas, and The Cubicle Weight 1. YOU HAVE TO USE WEIGHT ONE...THAT IS WHAT MADE IT THE SMOOTHEST! This made the cube unbelievably smooth. (Use a very small amount of Lubix, use moderate amount of 30K on the pieces and core, and pour quite a bit of weight one into the cube on 2 sides.) ALSO, one of the main reasons it is still smooth is because I DIDN'T over mod it...YOU absolutely can't overmod if you want it to even be near a decent cube! I overmodded my first one and it sucked!

I have made a video showing the turning of the puzzle (It is much more quite in real life, my crappy webcam audio makes it sound loud and clicky.)

Last edited by a moderator:
After modding my SS 4x4, I've noticed that the screws are completely screwed in such that the friction of the fully compressed springs made it feel like crap so I had to back the screws out just a hair. Is this common?

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If it is twice the price of an SS it would still be considered cheap by lots of people and have a market.

The thing is that the V5 is already pretty awesome with just a konsta mod. If its twice the price and only a little better I dont see it would have a big market. The X-Cube goes around 35 dollars and often other good 4x4s go at over 20 dollars. Actually I have no idea why the SS 4x4 is so cheap; it might have more to do with the factory and costs rather than with the complexity of the puzzle. Having said this I find it hard to believe that someone could make a puzzle that is better and still cheap enough to be a "better choice".

YJ has been a very cheap company so far so it's hard to say. All I know is that the search for a good 4x4 has been over after the introduction ofKonsta/florian mods to the SS 4x4.

YOUdudex

WCA
2013TOMA04
The thing is that the V5 is already pretty awesome with just a konsta mod. If its twice the price and only a little better I dont see it would have a big market. The X-Cube goes around 35 dollars and often other good 4x4s go at over 20 dollars. Actually I have no idea why the SS 4x4 is so cheap; it might have more to do with the factory and costs rather than with the complexity of the puzzle. Having said this I find it hard to believe that someone could make a puzzle that is better and still cheap enough to be a "better choice".

YJ has been a very cheap company so far so it's hard to say. All I know is that the search for a good 4x4 has been over after the introduction ofKonsta/florian mods to the SS 4x4.

Not everyone can mod cubes and make them better

youngcuber1

I've Florian- and konstamodded a SSv4 4x4 with a piece of sand paper and a nail file; Konstamod can be done with a single nail file easily in under 60 minutes. So yeah, I'd say everyone can mod cubes and make them better.
I'm too afraid to florian mod my shengshou 4x4x4 v5 because I don't want to ruin a great cube.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
Having said this I find it hard to believe that someone could make a puzzle that is better and still cheap enough to be a "better choice".

I don't think you realise just how cheap cubes are for people who have full time jobs and no kids.

$8 for a SS which is the best available choice! If a 4x4 comes out which is even arguably marginally better for less than $50 I, and many others, would happily spend the money on a puzzle which can give hundreds of hours of entertainment.

£12 to go to the cinema. £5 for popcorn and a drink. 2 hrs of entertainment for the best part of $30. Cubing is ridiculously cheap in comparison.

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
I've Florian- and konstamodded a SSv4 4x4 with a piece of sand paper and a nail file; Konstamod can be done with a single nail file easily in under 60 minutes. So yeah, I'd say everyone can mod cubes and make them better.

I agree with cube-o-holic.

60 minutes? In one go!? You'd be surprised how little free time some of us have...