• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Konsta Mod] ShengShou 4x4 solution to internal lock-ups

radmin

WCA
2010HARD02
I did this mod along with some corner modifications. The cube feels creamier now. Once you get the exact right tension it's nice. I was able to get a sub 2 min ave of 5 with it. I'm usually 2.05-2.15 pb in the 1:4x range.

I'm going to put some un-modded corners on it and see if that changes it.

Zyrb

WCA
2010BRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did this mod on Saturday along with Florian's mod. It has improved the cube a lot, I'd recommend everyone do it and make sure they take their time so it turns out good.

Thunderbolt

YouTube
Visit Channel
do you guys know what's wrong with my ss 4x4.
i have tensions which the cube came and during last 3 weeks it has lock ups but never pops. few moments ago it didnt pop it exploded. 1\4 of cube just dissapeared. i had to bring it back together. why it popped so hard.it never has something like that

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
i have tensions which the cube came and during last 3 weeks it has lock ups but never pops. few moments ago it didnt pop it exploded. 1\4 of cube just dissapeared. i had to bring it back together. why it popped so hard.it never has something like that

Have you ever disassemble it? I can't think of any reason. Maybe you can show us pictures of your cube? Btw, I'm quite sure that people who thinks SS 4x4s are hard to assemble have never assembled a V Cube 6 before. Really, Maru 4x4s are way harder.

yoshinator

WCA
2011HUTN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I have had similar problems, but don't worry, it happens extremely rarely.

What I have found is that when one is doing inner-outer turns (such as during OLL parity) this will (extremely rarely) happen. It will also happen if your cube is extremely loose.

Thus, if it is happening a lot, tighten your cube, if it happens next-to never, just try to figure out when it happens, and turn more accurately during that time.

(By the way, this all comes from pure experience with my SSV3, not from speculation or anything)

Thunderbolt

YouTube
Visit Channel
thanks for the advice. It happens very rarely for me and happend during E-slice edge pairing. I wanted to solve last 2 edges, when I performed second move after D it exploded :p

yoshinator

WCA
2011HUTN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
thanks for the advice. It happens very rarely for me and happend during E-slice edge pairing. I wanted to solve last 2 edges, when I performed second move after D it exploded :p

Yeah, your D move (I assume you mean Dw) was probably inaccurate, and so when you started to do outer layer turns, the core pieces that hold the cube together (tw ones to mod in the Konsta mod) were not in line, and so it exploded. Try to improve your turning accuracy and everything will be fine.

RTh

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I did this mod along with Florian's mod about a month ago and even though I did notice a big improvement with the internal mod regarding internal lock-ups, with the external pieces' mod it started to lock-up again.
Outer layers move perfectly, very fast and nearly lock free, but the internals tend to catch up with a ''creamy'' feeling to it.
I'm afraid I may have modded it too much, taking extra plastic in some pieces and thus making it unstable, or maybe I just have really bad tensions right now. Who knows.
My question being, has anyone had a similar problem, and if so how did you do?
It feels as if the internal pieces were catching on to each other when there's a slight misalignment with the outer faces.

yoshinator

WCA
2011HUTN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I did this mod along with Florian's mod about a month ago and even though I did notice a big improvement with the internal mod regarding internal lock-ups, with the external pieces' mod it started to lock-up again.
Outer layers move perfectly, very fast and nearly lock free, but the internals tend to catch up with a ''creamy'' feeling to it.
I'm afraid I may have modded it too much, taking extra plastic in some pieces and thus making it unstable, or maybe I just have really bad tensions right now. Who knows.
My question being, has anyone had a similar problem, and if so how did you do?
It feels as if the internal pieces were catching on to each other when there's a slight misalignment with the outer faces.

Having over modded your pieces certainly wouldn't result in lock-ups, but rather in pops. The problem is more likely that your cube is overly loose, or overly tight, so I would suggest messing around with the tensions until you find a comfortable one.

And anyway, inner layers only really matter during centers and parity algorithms, which are much easier to get fast than edge-paring and 3x3 stage, which is why the outer layer lock-ups were so obnoxious.

Hope this helps!

Iggy

WCA
2012SEVE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did this mod along with Florian's. The outer layers feel nice, but the inner layers are kinda slow and tend to lock up. I probably didn't mod it enough, I'm not sure. Does it always feel like this after you mod it? Does it just need breaking in?

rubiksarlen

WCA
2011TANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did this mod along with Florian's. The outer layers feel nice, but the inner layers are kinda slow and tend to lock up. I probably didn't mod it enough, I'm not sure. Does it always feel like this after you mod it? Does it just need breaking in?

What did you use? A dremel? Cos its so rare in Malaysia, my parents don't even know what it is :p

G

Georgeanderre

I did this mod a few weeks back, with a nail file, the outer layers turn almost liek my ZhanChi but the inner layers still lock up very easily and even pop! ~for the record it took me about 2 days to file + a third to Dioshwasher it and re-lube it

All I've had to do is learn to turn slower than I usually would, despite this my times haven't dropped... if I can sort out the locks then I can probably sub 1 on the od ocasion but I can't seem to shake them despite all the modding I've done to it.

All together I've done this mod and Florians mod, but I am very hesitant to do any more for risk of sanding the wrong bit down

yoshinator

WCA
2011HUTN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did this mod a few weeks back, with a nail file, the outer layers turn almost liek my ZhanChi but the inner layers still lock up very easily and even pop! ~for the record it took me about 2 days to file + a third to Dioshwasher it and re-lube it

All I've had to do is learn to turn slower than I usually would, despite this my times haven't dropped... if I can sort out the locks then I can probably sub 1 on the od ocasion but I can't seem to shake them despite all the modding I've done to it.

All together I've done this mod and Florians mod, but I am very hesitant to do any more for risk of sanding the wrong bit down

Tighten your cube, the SS4 inner layers never lock up if your cube is at a good tension.

G

Georgeanderre

Tighten your cube, the SS4 inner layers never lock up if your cube is at a good tension.

I have done, any tighter I risk breaking something or having it so tight that it slows me down during solves.

G

Georgeanderre

Loosened it half a turn or so this morning and had nothing but success since :D 58.48 an hour or so ago and what should of been sub minute just a second ago.. if I actually noticed the 4 cycle instead of doing double parity -.-

Bit annoyed at the 58 though as it was my first Sub minute and I didn't get it on film... because it looked bad, goes to show bad scrambles can sometimes be good solves, or even a PB :fp