• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Konsta Mod] ShengShou 4x4 solution to internal lock-ups

WCA
2012TOWE01
Thanks, I'm just curious. If possible can you scramble the cube and try to solve it too?

I'm pretty sure I can make a cube cut 45 too but it would be so prone to pop and catchy that it wouldnt really count.

ok I'll also do that. For constructive purposes and not to post a stupid "I prove you wrong" type of comment, the cube seems to slide across to a cuttable position as you apply force upwards, then cut in one sweep. It is only possible to do this while cutting upwards rather than downwards. As a result of this by cutting downwards only around 35-40 degress is the maximum possible. It's harder without lube but still easily cuts 45 without by cutting up.

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ok I'll also do that. For constructive purposes and not to post a stupid "I prove you wrong" type of comment, the cube seems to slide across to a cuttable position as you apply force upwards, then cut in one sweep. It is only possible to do this while cutting upwards rather than downwards. As a result of this by cutting downwards only around 35-40 degress is the maximum possible. It's harder without lube but still easily cuts 45 without by cutting up.

That's kinda what I expected. Imo that does not count as "cuts 45" because it actually slides to around 30 degrees, locks for a bit and then cuts 30 degrees. This means the cube is too loose and that the move is not one single move. During a solve it would lock up, not cut the 45 degrees. You can reproduce this problem with a good 3x3 that has been tensioned wrong; The first part of the move slides the pieces to a point where the cube can cut, then it locks up and then it actually cuts the corner.

WCA
2012TOWE01
The video is pretty self explanatory (I don't solve 4x4 much and average a little faster with redux, but the solve isn't really the point).

IMO, I wouldn't really call it 45 either, definitely not downwards as it cannot be reproduced on all sides. Nevertheless, around 40 is achievable.

Last edited by a moderator:

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The video is pretty self explanatory (I don't solve 4x4 much and average a little faster with redux, but the solve isn't really the point).

IMO, I wouldn't really call it 45 either, definitely not downwards as it cannot be reproduced on all sides. Nevertheless, around 40 is achievable.

40 degrees on all sides? Have you had that on a cube? Because I'd think it would be very prone to pop with those tensions.

Last edited by a moderator:
WCA
2012TOWE01
40 degrees on all sides? Have you had that on a cube? Because I'd think it would be very prone to pop with those tensions.

I've never had it pop in a solve, it is pretty loose and a bit locky, definitely not the best 4x4 Ive ever felt. It was also my first mod so it is a bit sucky. But this results in pretty crazy outer layers that can do stuff like this.

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've never had it pop in a solve, it is pretty loose and a bit locky, definitely not the best 4x4 Ive ever felt. It was also my first mod so it is a bit sucky. But this results in pretty crazy outer layers that can do stuff like this.
So would you agree that the corner cuts cost that cube its stability? I think have a pretty much perfect SS 4x4 that is not loose or tight and cuts around 25-30 degrees on all sides. Loosening any sides makes it instantly unstable and more prone to pop or/and lock up. This is why I find it weird that anyone else could get better results with the same cube since I've fiddled with SS 4x4s quite a bit.

WCA
2012TOWE01
So would you agree that the corner cuts cost that cube its stability? I think have a pretty much perfect SS 4x4 that is not loose or tight and cuts around 25-30 degrees on all sides. Loosening any sides makes it instantly unstable and more prone to pop or/and lock up. This is why I find it weird that anyone else could get better results with the same cube since I've fiddled with SS 4x4s quite a bit.

I would say the quality of my 4x4 overall is not very good, definitely better after modding but not as good as my other cubes (like my 5x5). These tensions were pretty much the only decent ones I could find that didn't result in the cube being very tight and even catchier and/or pop if loosened. The corner cutting is useful, but I'd doubt that they have any effect on a solve.