• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Suggestion: avatar file size limit

Should animations be allowed in avatars?

• Yes

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Depends

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
My thoughts:

Dimensions: 100x100 or 120x120 is about as large as anyone should get. Though I don't think this is necessarily needed, it would be sorta nice.

File size: Yeah, this should probably be raised a little. For those with slower connections, you should be caching images, so it shouldn't slow anyone down for long.

Gifs: Not needed, and would probably be annoying. It would probably be a pain for the mods to handle all of the reports of people being stupid with them.

Ponies: One of the most ridiculous trends on this forum.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
My avatar is 2.24KB and it's perfectly alright.

I don't want a debate with you but that sentence is definitely debatable.

edit - before you respond it kind of makes me feel like you are staring deep into my soul with bad intentions.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
So anyway I think you can put plenty of personality into the current avatar and don't really need changing.
I remember when I frequented a forum with and bad internet connection, ridiculously large avatars and poor computer knowledge. It sucked.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I propose that the file size limit for avatars be raised from 20.0KB to something larger like 100KB or 200KB. The 80x80 limit is fine

With 80x80, even uncompressed true color is under 20KB. And gifs are already allowed. So this is solely about animated avatars, not gifs. I recommend you fix your tl;dr and the poll accordingly (neither your whole first post nor the poll even mention animations at all).

Last edited:

peterbone

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think 80x80 is fine when you see the avatars in the forum threads but when you go to someone's profile you expect to see it larger. So larger avatars could be allowed, which will show up in a user's profile but in the threads you would see a resized 80x80 version.

aronpm

With 80x80, even uncompressed true color is under 20KB. And gifs are already allowed. So this is solely about animated avatars, not gifs. I recommend you fix your tl;dr and the poll accordingly.

1) I assumed it would be obvious that by GIF I meant animated. Nobody uses GIF for anything else.
2) I didn't make the poll but ok

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I assumed it would be obvious that by GIF I meant animated.
Nobody uses GIF for anything else.

I count ten non-animated GIFs on this page.

And in any case I'd prefer saying what you actually mean rather than something that only vaguely suggests it (and the people who don't know GIF's animation capability won't even know what you're talking about (and what they're voting on (sneaky))).

Last edited:

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I propose that the file size limit for avatars be raised from 20.0KB to something larger like 100KB or 200KB. The 80x80 limit is fine, even though it could potentially be a bit larger without taking up any more space on the screen.

Arguments for:
Allows a more expressive range of avatars to be uploaded. Other websites allow avatars to be up to several hundred kilobytes, with no problems.

Arguments against:
People might slow internet or low download quotas. However this is 2012, not 1992, people should be able to handle a few pictures. And if they can't, they should have avatars disabled in the control panel already. Also, there's this thing called a cache. It means you don't have to download the avatars every single time you open a thread.

tl;dr: i want animated gif avatars
As Stefan mentioned, 20KB is more than enough. Keep in mind on each page, an avatar is loaded 10-30 times, so we want to keep it reduced, even if it is being cached a lot of the time.

In regards to animations: they are distracting and unnecessary. Also, you'd be shocked how many people still browse on slow connections.

After talking with other mods about this, we all agree that avatars are fine as they are and don't need to be larger (dimension or file size wise).

SenorJuan

Bump: 4 years on, and computers, internet speeds, mobile devices are all improved, and the website has had some appearance changes.
Apart from being a bit small, the existing avatars are also square (at maximum). As the width doesn't appear to negatively affect screen layout, and 4:3 ratio is a common photo AR, how about an increase to 120w x 90h (or 160 x 120?), with a corresponding modest filesize increase?

And re: animated gif's, I dislike them, and would be happy if they were not permitted (if this is a concern about larger file-sizes)