• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How long until PLL will pay off?

eblip

im learning full PLL and to be honest im getting mixed up ..i have learned 8 over the past month...and i still get mixed up...im practicing them and straight after...i can do them easy ..but the next day i have to get the charts out...there are only 1 or 2 that i know properly....those who say i learned full pll in 2 weeks are bluffing....there is just no way to remember if it starts with an R or an R; that quickly..recognition is easy ...but each Pll has so many moves and is similar to others...that you just need to learn them and then keep at it until you dont need your charts any more....its frustrating but worth it.

retep

im learning full PLL and to be honest im getting mixed up ..i have learned 8 over the past month...and i still get mixed up...im practicing them and straight after...i can do them easy ..but the next day i have to get the charts out...there are only 1 or 2 that i know properly....those who say i learned full pll in 2 weeks are bluffing....there is just no way to remember if it starts with an R or an R; that quickly..recognition is easy ...but each Pll has so many moves and is similar to others...that you just need to learn them and then keep at it until you dont need your charts any more....its frustrating but worth it.

How long are you practicing them for? If you just spend like 5-10 mins trying to learn a PLL, ya you will probably forget how to do it the next day. You shouldn't actually remember the PLL by the letters (R U R' etc.). You should practice the PLL until it becomes muscle memory, or at the very least commit like a sequence of like 4-6 moves to muscle memory and keep an eye on what the cube looks like after those moves, then remember the next few moves.

Basically what I am getting at by this is that you should associate some kind of image with the moves rather than remembering the moves themselves (people have a MUCH easier time remembering and recalling images). See what is happening on the cube and what doing some turns will make the cube look like. Ultimately you want to be able to immediately associate the PLL with the entire algorithm so there wont be pauses like halfway through execution. And I should again reiterate, it takes time. Sit down and just do one PLL for like 10+ mins (while associating it with what the starting position of the PLL actually looks like, either by actually having the cube in that position or just trying to remember it or seeing a picture on your computer or whatever. Don't start execution until you have that image in your mind).

Also I did in fact learn full PLL in 10 days. 2 a day, everyday (3 on the last day as I was excited to get them all). I have also learned full OLL and I only started cubing in January-February of this year.

Also, it is probably best to learn similar PLLs together (ie. if you are learning the T perm, do J(b) next as it is the exact same except with a segment moved. Don't learn random PLLs like an R perm then G then T or something.) Bad mephisto has a great page that splits the PLLs up into patterns of moves which makes learning them much easier. There might be some better PLLs than he has listed though, but 90% of them I still use. If you find one you don't like you can try using the wiki or other things, but try to bring along that idea of splitting it up into patterns and sequences.

And good luck!

applemobile

I learned 18pll's in 2 weeks, and then took me another full week to do the 4 G's. Its a case of grouping them into sets, and learn them together. Learning them is one thing, using them in solves is another. I rarely time my solves, so i have no sence of urgency to do a new case when i come across it. I just stop, and think about it until i know what to do before doing it. Once you use a new Alg in a proper solve a few times, only then will it stick.

Twoflower

WCA
2011GJER01
....those who say i learned full pll in 2 weeks are bluffing....there is just no way to remember if it starts with an R or an R; that quickly..recognition is easy ...but each Pll has so many moves and is similar to others...that you just need to learn them and then keep at it until you dont need your charts any more....its frustrating but worth it.

This may be the case for you, but not for everybody else.

I learned full oll (57) in three weeks, but also put a lot of effort into it. I can't remember how long pll took, but most likely less than 2 weeks.

And by the way, I've heard that you need about 10.000 hours of practise to master an instrument, this is probably also the case for mastering the cube. So if you don't master it after two years, my guess is, that you forgot to practise 12 hours a day :eek:)

Last edited:

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
those who say i learned full pll in 2 weeks are bluffing

No. I learnt Z, H and Us in a few mins to solve a siamese (6). I learnt the As the next day when I changed over to 2 look OLL and PLL. About a month later I knocked out the rest in a week. I learnt all 4 Gs and both Js in a day. It's very achievable you just have to work hard if you want to learn them all quickly.

LeighzerCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
It's like that for basically any step that requires an alg to solve it. You learn the alg, and then use it so many times until it becomes second nature. I changed my v perm and kept using it even though it was worse than my other one at the time. Now that I'm used to it, it is much faster. Same with the Sexy G perm. Just don't be so impatient.

A Leman

I suppose you think the people that can big-bld and multi-bld are fake as well? I personally learned my PLL in the 7 days of Spring break and can affirm it's possible. I wrote 3 or 4 algs on a piece of paper and practiced them on a nice 6 mile walk to XC practice. You should try to learn algs by their triggers (basically chunking) instead of the letters.
For example,
this, F', this, U', that
(RUR’)F’(RUR’)U’(R’FR2U’R’)

Also, try to follow the f2l pairs in the Pll. For example, in the PLL I just showed, you pull out an F2l pair then F' and pull out another pair, reinsert it a different way (called a sledgehammer) and then insert the first pair the same way you took it out.

Notice setup moves(for example, in R’U(RU’R’)(F’U’F)(RUR’)(FR’F’R)U’R the setup is R’U which is undone at the end), and cancellations

Once you know your alg, test it sometimes with your eyes closed to find your mistakes and to focus on its feel (since they will eventually become muscle memory).

Another thing that I do when I am learning algorithms is to repeat them right before I go to sleep. Then, I will practice them once I wake up. This helps me a lot and keeps me from forgetting yesterday’s progress.

Realize that a couple algs a day is possible since some suggest learning about 6 a day.

MWilson

Treat the notation as nothing more than a form of communication. It's much more practical to communicate algorithms with some letters than it is with endless videos or picture series'. It's also a heck of a lot easier for programmers to work with a string of letters than videos of picture. It just makes sense.

However, when actually learning the algorithms yourself, the last thing you should be doing is memorizing the letters. You should use the letters as nothing more than a way to know what moves to make, and then actually learn those moves either by how the corner and edge are being moved around for F2L, or by some visual cues for OLL/PLL (usually by watching one or two F2L pairs).

aznanimedude

i learned it in 2 weeks...averaged to 2 a day, but i was basically still practicing the cases i had learned the previous days while doing solves. Then later i changed some of my algorithms, but when i did, only took one day to change it per algorithm. not a bluff at all

Eazoon

I never did the "learn one alg a day" thing, I learned about 4 a day for 2 days in a row, and then spent a week making them a habit, and repeating. (Im still doing the same with oll's.)