• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

C4U springs in SS 6x6?

cannon4747

WCA
2011vili01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i think i saw somewhere that a good mod to do to a shengshou 6x6 is to get rid of the factory springs and put in c4u springs. i don't remember where though. has anyone else heard of this before or done it to their cube? any other mod suggestions for the ss 6x6?

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why don't you try this for yourself and tell it how it goes.

You could try doing the 6x6 equivalent of the Florain SS 5 mod.

Remember, if you do mods(esspecially blade mods), it's your fault if you **** your cube up.

Adrian E

WCA
2010ENGL03
Yeah, change the springs! The factory ones are so bad. Even without further modding the cube gets a lot better. If you want to mod more you should try to apply the SS 5x5 mods to the 6x6.
Here is a video with a few ideas but not all possible mods:

Last edited by a moderator:

InTheFade

The problem with the SS6 springs is that they are far too hard (I suspect this is why shock/diff oil is so bad in a stock SS6). I tried c4u springs in mine, but the big thick bit just ends up acting as a spacer, reducing the travel of the spring. It makes finding a usable tension very difficult, and the difference between a really good tension and really bad tension is less than a quarter turn.

In the end I used Guhong springs. The cube is a little loose so it might pop from time to time, but turning is very nice and WAY easier than stock. With shock oil in mine it feels almost like my modded SS5, just more fragile because of the internal pieces.

Also, the stock SS6 springs perform very well in my modded adjustable V5. Guhong springs were far too loose, but now it's almost perfect.

YouTube
Visit Channel
You don't need to change the core. Just the springs. Then do this mod, but shave off more plastic than he does in the video:

If you want an idea of how much plastic to shave off, see this video:

Next mod these pieces
amwg2f.jpg

so that they resemble rounded corners on the Type C 2x2. If you look at the center of the 2x2, the corners are round. That's what you want.
397_G_1319072468510.jpg

Then just do some general rounding of pieces where you find it locks up. You can mod almost every type of piece. Just watch when you turn it, and you'll see where it locks up. If I'm not too lazy later, I can upload pictures of my shengshou 6x6.

Last edited by a moderator:

Felix1996

YouTube
Visit Channel
I used Dayan springs in my shengshou 6x6 and the modding video is by me :)
my shengshou 6x6 is really nice now.
and i also used the original shengshou 6x6 springs in my modded adjustable v-cube 5, it's really good now :D

Rubiks560

Nub
WCA
2009OLSO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I used Dayan springs in mine. It's awesome now. It very very rarely pops. When you're assembling it, it's a pain because for some reason it feels crazy loose but once it's together it's great.

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Holy ****! I just finished putting some extra guhong springs I had into the shenshou and it is amazing! It has the speed of my super loose V-cube but is not as locky and does not pop.

mati1242

When you change the springs in your SS you will see big difference in turning and you don't need to mod pieces but if you want you can. After modding pieces cube will pop very rarely.