• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is it worth getting a ShengShou 6x6?

Chilli

WCA
2012GOOD01
Hey, I have a V Cube 6 but I am disappointed. It's too clicky and as a result I barely ever solve it. Is it worth spending the money on a ShengShou or should I just mod it?

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
A V-6 needs a lot of breaking in for it to be good from what I have heard. If you are willing to spend a lot of time modding, then mod it. If not, get the ShengShou.

James Ludlow

Premium Member
WCA
2009LUDL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
A V-6 needs a lot of breaking in for it to be good from what I have heard. If you are willing to spend a lot of time modding, then mod it. If not, get the ShengShou.

Don't worry about spending a lot of time modding - all I have done with mine is sand the inner wedges down, and glue the little tabs. Yeah, I still have the click, but it lessens with age.

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't worry about spending a lot of time modding - all I have done with mine is sand the inner wedges down, and glue the little tabs. Yeah, I still have the click, but it lessens with age.

That's all I've done to mine aswell, and it really works. The outer layers turn much faster, and the click isn't even noticable some times. No point buying another puzzle when you have a good one right there already ;)

YouTube
Visit Channel
As compared to a shengshou with the same amount of modding?

No. The v-cube would require more modding and more breaking in to be better. I'm not sure if the shengshou 6x6 has as much potential as the v-cube 6 does. I'd be happy for somebody to prove me wrong though! I love my shengshou 6x6, but it does seem to lack some corner cutting, and it does still pop!

cubernya

Premium Member
No. The v-cube would require more modding and more breaking in to be better. I'm not sure if the shengshou 6x6 has as much potential as the v-cube 6 does. I'd be happy for somebody to prove me wrong though! I love my shengshou 6x6, but it does seem to lack some corner cutting, and it does still pop!

So basically you're comparing a fully modded V-cube to a non-modded ShengShou. Doesn't sound right to me.

YouTube
Visit Channel
So basically you're comparing a fully modded V-cube to a non-modded ShengShou. Doesn't sound right to me.

No, I'm comparing a fully modded shengshou to a fully modded V-cube. The v-cube needs more modding and breaking in though. There just aren't as many known mods for the shengshou 6x6.

The amount of time required to mod a shengshou 6x6 is a few ours. The v-cube takes many hours of waiting and modding. Then both require break in time, but the shengshou doesn't need as much time.

cubernya

Premium Member
So you're not modding the ShengShou as much as the V-cube. You need a lot more time and effort for the V-cube, and for what? A cube that might be a little bit better. It's as simple as that. I have no clue where you're coming from on this.

YouTube
Visit Channel
So you're not modding the ShengShou as much as the V-cube. You need a lot more time and effort for the V-cube, and for what? A cube that might be a little bit better. It's as simple as that. I have no clue where you're coming from on this.

You're right. I was unclear. The V-cube 6 has more potential, as far as I see. However, it requires more modding and breaking in. The shengshou also requires modding and breaking in, but there aren't as many mods to do. Is that clearer?

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You're right. I was unclear. The V-cube 6 has more potential, as far as I see. However, it requires more modding and breaking in. The shengshou also requires modding and breaking in, but there aren't as many mods to do. Is that clearer?

I can think of just as many, if not more mods to do to the shenshou to make it better. There doesn't have to be a pi video for it to be a mod.

cubernya

Premium Member
I can think of just as many, if not more mods to do to the shenshou to make it better. There doesn't have to be a any video for it to be a mod.

Fixed

Seriously though, just because you haven't heard of it done on a ShengShou doesn't mean it hasn't been done. It's just that it's so obvious (like just rounding stuff off) that there's no point in making another tutorial.

I just got my SS 6X6 five days ago. I've only solved it around 20 times and it feels awesome already. I remember my V-cube 5 took about three weeks to break in nicely so I imagine the V-cube 6 would be similar.
I bought the SS with the intention of getting a V-cube 6X6 later, but I'm so impressed with the SS that I'm not even thinking twice about replacing it anymore.
My personal opinion is that if you have to spend hours of time and effort to make a cube good, how good is it really? And if you were to put that same amount of time into the SS, couldn't it be as good?
A friend of mine has a well worked in V-cube 6 and to be honest, I wasn't blown away. It felt great and everything but it's not like it was leagues better than the SS. I could only see myself putting that much time and effort into modding a cube if there were no alternatives out there, but I think that with price vs. quality, the SS is the better buy.

LeighzerCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
It depends on how willing you are. If you feel like spending multiple hours modding a v-6 to perfection do it. If you are like me, get an ss. The reason why I don't want to mod my v-6 is that I would want to do a perfect job, and with the way my ss 5x5 ended up, I decided it would be best not to mod it. The ss 6 is pretty good anyway.