• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rowe Variation: My new last slot/OLL experiment

rowehessler

Mallards > Ducks.

Rowe, you've been using this for a wee while now, what are your current thoughts on RV?

Honestly, RV (OLLS) (OLLLS) (OLLLLLLLLLLLLS) or whatever the **** people want to ****ing call it, who ****ing cares, is fast on cases that have 0,1, or 2 cases that are misoriented. They are easier to recognize this way, but when its 3 corners unoriented, its totally unworthy it. the cases/rtecognition sucks major ass.

soldii3runit

YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly, RV (OLLS) (OLLLS) (OLLLLLLLLLLLLS) or whatever the **** people want to ****ing call it, who ****ing cares, is fast on cases that have 0,1, or 2 cases that are misoriented. They are easier to recognize this way, but when its 3 corners unoriented, its totally unworthy it. the cases/rtecognition sucks major ass.

thnx for the setups, I just learned 4 cases andd it helped my solve. well one of them helped

is there a possibilities chart thaatt tells youu how oftenn a ccase sshows up?

Last edited:

JK

WCA
2012PANJ02
It's really useful,but the problem is that it's hard to rocognize them quickly(otherwise you'll be slower than doing your normal OLL).So I'm going to learn only WV cases at present.

elrog

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think doing a different last slot system is not really worth it if you add another look. I also think that it is not worth it if you have to have nearly 4 times the alg count for the same amount of looks for the LS and LL with a maximum of saving 3 moves because a pair in the U layer is only 3 moves from being in the slot.

The only kind of slotting techniques that are worth it are partial corner control and partial edge control.

AHornbaker

With large alg sets like this, I've always thought it would be easier to learn the "building blocks" that make up the alg instead of trying to memorize all 216 algs. For example, you would have certain algs that Flip Just These Corners, Flip Just These Corners, Flip These Corners and These Edges. By learning this way, you would know a solution to all the cases, and have a better intuitive understanding. To execute, you would take one "block", do a U move or something, then do the other "block". If it worked perfectly, you would need only 15 algs (assuming a set of 15 for the first step and the same 15 for the second step would yield 225 combos) but you could probably do it in about 20. Kirjava did this type of thing for 1LLL and i'm trying it out for an EOCP method.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
this is true. also some name changes have been done. mats created these algs in 2008 and kept them secret, so when i came up with the same idea i thought id publish it under my name. Mats contacted me and for the last few months, when we've had time, have combined our algs. Most of the them were the same, but some were not, and we're perfecting them. Out of fairness, RV is now VLS(Valk), and I have started generating the algs for broken pair, HLS(Hessler). Summer variation is a subset of HLS, and Winter Variation is a subset of VLS. altogether, were naming the entire set OLS (OLL Last Slot). Pretty much, with these 432 algs, you will be able to skip OLL every solve. tbh, every case where all of the edges are unoriented are useless and terrible, though, so i recommend not learning them. Mats and I are making a youtube channel and will be posted all of the algs there. I will be uploading the first few videos this week.

Are the all unoriented edge cases just too long?

elrog

YouTube
Visit Channel
any chance of intuitive :)
Only if you get an extremely simple case or you break it up into steps. But what is the point in OLL plus Last Slot if you break it up into more steps anyway. If you did break it up, you might as well do the standard F2L then OLL.

I don't understand why you can't just learn zz method instead of a bunch more algorithms