• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

VHLS vs. normal LS

Which one?

• VHLS

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • normal LS

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters

Cubeimpact

I recently learned of vhf2l, and wonder if it is worth learning, and if it will improve my time. Please post your comments on either kinds of f2l. Also answer to the poll.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
From what I understand, VHF2L is kinda like a stepping stone to ZBLS (formely ZBF2L), but by itself isn't really worth it. Standard F2L is fast, and OLL/PLL is fast. VHF2L just complicates things with no significant benefit IMHO.

Last edited:

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
VHLS (it's not called VHF2L anymore) is not that great in 3x3x3 speed. LS+OLL is generally faster than VHLS+OCLL, you're not really avoiding bad cases by doing edge control during the last slot, and if you get one of the worst VHLS cases then you're probabaly just wasting time. VHF2L is great for big cubes though, especially if do full VH solves (VHLS and COLL). I voted yes in the poll because it's worth learning, but I recommend only using the easy (3-5 move) cases in 3x3 speedsolves.

WCA
2014BROO01
VHLS+ OLL over Full OLL?

Hi,
I have been trying to get over the daunting task of Full OLL. So I looked at some other methods and saw VHLS. I noticed that there are only 32 VHLS algs plus the 7 edges oriented OLLs. That makes 39 VHLS+Edges oriented algs compared to the 57 OLLs. So why learn Full OLL?

ChickenWrap

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't believe the VHLS cases cover all the cases/possibilities you can run in to, instead, the cover certain cases that are easy/show up often. VHLS is a tool to use in certain cases, kind of like knowing the easy ZBLL cases but not all of them. They definitely help, but are something to focus on later.

mitch1234

WCA
2010LANE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Often times doing VHLS+PLL can be slower than just doing the 3 move insert then doing OLL. This is why other OLS methods have been made like RLS and VLS, these methods have about 200 algs each. But if you are just trying to get by with knowing the least amount of algs while maximizing efficiency, OLL is a great way to go.

GG

WCA
2013KELL01
if you did use cross + vhls + coll + epll,
would it be called vh?
or would you call it cvce?
or would you call it cfvce?
also, if someone used cross + vhls + oll + pll, would it be called cvop? CVOP SOUNDS AWESOME!

brian724080

would it be called vh?
also, if someone used cross + vhls + oll + pll, would it be called cvop? CVOP SOUNDS AWESOME!

No, it's CFOP with VHLS

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't use VHLS to replace anything.

It's much wiser at your current juncture to finish learning Fridrich - if you pick the right algorithms learning OLL is actually more about learning to recognise the cases than anything else. In my mind OLL with no corner control is only around 20 unique algorithms, since so many of them are just slightly modified versions of other ones. To give you a taste of how easy it can be; see how many different OLL cases you can make by taking the Sune algorithm and conjugating it with some added moves. An example would be M' U' (Sune) U M, or even just M' (Sune) M, which turns into r U R' U R U2 r'.

The purpose of VHLS was, back in the day when COLL was considered really good, to make getting to COLL easier. Nowadays it's just seen as a set of tricks to help you with edge control since those LL cases are generally a little faster than some OLLs, and COLL as a thing as fallen by the wayside.

If you're set on learning some of it just learn the shortest ones.

IAmAPerson

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
would it be called vh?

https://sites.google.com/site/philcuber/3x3/cvop
Stumbled across this thread and found your post. A bit late, but there you go. Cross+VHLS+OCLL+PLL. I use CVOP because VHLS cases are extremely easy to recognize and I would hate to learn full OLL. CVOP got me sub-30 where CFOP couldn't with a 3LLL. CVOP for life.