• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Problems with my Guhong

mhmh

Hi guys, so I got a guhong a while ago after using a Rubiks brand for about a month, and after hearing excellent things about it I was really looking forward to it. So I've been using it for a while now and to be honest mine is nowhere near as good as people have been saying, it isn't really that fast, it feels kinda smooth, but not as smooth as I feel it could be, and it can't even corner cut one cubie. So I'm a little disappointed about it and was wondering if you guys could provide some help to make it better.

Thanks

skeletonboy

Hi guys, so I got a guhong a while ago after using a Rubiks brand for about a month, and after hearing excellent things about it I was really looking forward to it. So I've been using it for a while now and to be honest mine is nowhere near as good as people have been saying, it isn't really that fast, it feels kinda smooth, but not as smooth as I feel it could be, and it can't even corner cut one cubie. So I'm a little disappointed about it and was wondering if you guys could provide some help to make it better.

Thanks

First off, how would you know if it is good (excpet for corner cutting) if you haven't even tried anything better. What if the smoothness it provided you was the smoothest anyone could get? If you haven't tried something to compare it to, that is supposedly same or better than it, you can't really complain since you don't know its original standard.

As fofr corner cutting goes, I think you will need to tension it a bit. And lubing. 2 very important factors in cutting. Tension it using one (or more) of the many tutorials on youtube, and lube it with thos tutorials too.

If you are still pondering, a Guhong is not very fast compared to a cube like a Zhanchi or a broken in Lubix Elite.
GoodLuck. :)

ressMox

First off, how would you know if it is good (excpet for corner cutting) if you haven't even tried anything better. What if the smoothness it provided you was the smoothest anyone could get? If you haven't tried something to compare it to, that is supposedly same or better than it, you can't really complain since you don't know its original standard.

As fofr corner cutting goes, I think you will need to tension it a bit. And lubing. 2 very important factors in cutting. Tension it using one (or more) of the many tutorials on youtube, and lube it with thos tutorials too.

If you are still pondering, a Guhong is not very fast compared to a cube like a Zhanchi or a broken in Lubix Elite.
GoodLuck. :)

Unless he really plans on getting into cubing, or has money to spare, we shouldn't even be mentioning Lubix Elite. And yes, a Zhanchi is faster, but a Guhong is still a good cube if lubed and tensioned correctly. It's not a problem of having the wrong cube. My Zhanchi wasn't very good out of the box, but once it was lubed and tensioned it was (and still is) great

skeletonboy

Unless he really plans on getting into cubing, or has money to spare, we shouldn't even be mentioning Lubix Elite. And yes, a Zhanchi is faster, but a Guhong is still a good cube if lubed and tensioned correctly. It's not a problem of having the wrong cube. My Zhanchi wasn't very good out of the box, but once it was lubed and tensioned it was (and still is) great

Don't get my sarcasm eh? -_-
I never said the Guhong was slow, it is just overall, not as fast as Zhanchi or (sarcasm) *(enter fast cube)*.

The Guhong is definitely a good cube, I agree on that, but that doesn't have much to do with the thread topic, problems with guhong.

mhmh

thanks guys, you have made some good points, i don't really have access to any good types of lube as all we have here is that 3 in 1 silicone spray which I understand is not that great as it is the same brand as WD-40. My only option really would be to order some better lube online.
I might try to look up some tutorials on tensioning it then and see what I can come up with.
Thanks for the responses guys :)

Oh and no I couldn't make it to the Melbourne Summer comp haha

TheWitcher

Premium Member
Your guhong would become slower and slower as long as you keep practicing it without proper lubrication. And I'm talking from experience. The day I received my guhong, it was very smooth and fast. But after a few weeks of intense practice, it is currently very slow and gummy.
I'm still waiting for the lubix I ordered, should arrive in any day now. I heard lubix is heaven for guhongs :)
It is pretty expensive though.