• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

cubecomps.com - for delegates and organizers

WCA
2010CANT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm glad to announce that my first approach to certificates is available for competitions using Cubecomps.com from now on.

18jcsh.jpg

The first time you enter here, you will see that the competition's, the delegate's and the organizers' names will be already there. (Taken from WCA's website database.)

Besides, a nice text template (in your language, if already implemented) and a default background will leave you 'one click away' from getting your certificates.

Of course, you can also edit the text and upload your own background image to personalize the result.

33viu61.jpg

Above, a sample of a certificate taken from a real competition database with a single click. (No customization was done.)

The is one thing about the certificates that I think should be added. The organizer and the WCA delegate usually sign somewhere.

Luis

WCA
2009PARE02
Antoine, about the the signatures, I plan to incorporate them into the background. I think it's the best option.

Cornelius: "Sie angeln und habe keine angelnschein..." XD

Seriously now: I haven't been very polite forgetting the acknowledgements. To all these people:

Sébastien Auroux - German
Ron van Bruchem - Dutch
Rafael Cinoto - Portuguese
Mike Hughey - English
Lorenzo Vigani - Italian

Thank you for your translations, support and ideas.

Any delegate or organizer who could be interested in translating into their language, please feel free to contact me.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
The only thing is that Mike Hughey is American, and they use different spellings/words here and there than us Brits. I know that's only small, but having an American spelling on a certificate for me, that would bug me.

Luis

WCA
2009PARE02
There are "English (US)" and "English (UK)". Also it seems that I didn't make it clear: both, the default text and the default background can be customized (or customised :D ).

Luis

WCA
2009PARE02
[Cubecomps.com] - first integrations with WCA Results

I've integrated the WCA Results to Cubecomps.com.

Thanks to this, a series of new, interesting possibilities arise. One of these is the possibility to retrieve all the competitors details (except date of birth) by just keying their WCA ID.

Much more exciting is the live results page showing records in real time:

90ddgn.jpg

The records could be not actual. What does this mean? Well, in order to check whether a score is record, Cubecomps compares it within the results of the competition (and no other out there) and with the best scores in the copy of the WCA Results. And this is not a strict warranty that the score is record. But with a rather secure probability, it will be. (For example, PB are always certain; NR are certain as long as there is not a better score in any other competition running simultaneously in your country; etc.)

Evan Liu

WCA
2009LIUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
New challenge: attend more than one competition in the same weekend, get PB's in both.
This has already happened: Antoine Piau (and a few other French cubers) attended Galeries Lafayette Open 2012 and Dolmen Open 2012, both of which were in the weekend of August 31-September 2. Assuming you were referring to the occurrence of the first PB being better than the second "PB", Antoine got a 10.16 3x3 average in round 2 of Galeries Lafayette and then a 10.63 3x3 average in round 2 of Dolmen; cubecomps would have erroneously reported the latter as a PB as well (his PB before either of these competitions were held was 10.73).

He also managed the other type of progression (the second PB being better than the first PB) when he got a 50.57 4x4 average at Galeries Lafayette, then a 48.48 4x4 average at Dolmen (and then a 46.80, also at Dolmen), but I guess cubecomps reporting these as PBs wouldn't be "errors".

Last edited:

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
I'd like to recommend modifying the cubecomps.com home pages so that "Competitions in progress", "Past competitions", and "Upcoming competitions" are all displayed in one sortable table with the following properties: Competition_Name, Date, Location, Website_URL

It's a bit difficult to use a horizontal scroll bar...

Sincerely,
Tim.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd like to recommend modifying the cubecomps.com home pages so that "Competitions in progress", "Past competitions", and "Upcoming competitions" are all displayed in one sortable table with the following properties: Competition_Name, Date, Location, Website_URL

It's a bit difficult to use a horizontal scroll bar...

Sincerely,
Tim.

I've actually come to like CubeComps a lot, but the small sideways layout of competitions is one of the things that I've never quite understood.
Please feel free to steal any ideas from live.cubing.net (I made that front page so that getting to a competition site is as easy as possible.).

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
I've actually come to like CubeComps a lot,

Same! I used it for the first time on the weekend at Canberra Summer 2013 and it worked really well!

Loved:
  • Adding and removing competitors;
  • Printing scorecards after each round;
  • Easy data entry (much easier than Excel);
  • Podium summary for writing out certificates

I highly recommend that other organisers and WCA Delegates check it out! I was initially concerned that it would mess up "the routine" and slow down the competition but it actually proved to save a lot of time and was fairly user friendly.

Even better if:
  • A table is used to clearly display competitions on the home page;
  • 'D' auto-completes 'DNF' without skipping to the next result; pressing a number or backspace then clears the 'DNF'; and pressing enter skips to the next result (this would help keep the pattern <enter result><press enter><enter result><press enter>

A FAQ with the format for the WCA registration CSV and how to use it may help with importing competitors. I'm happy to try to write one up if needed. I noticed that including an event in the CSV with 0's for everyone will cause Cubecomps to create an event with no competitors.

Tim.

Last edited:

Luis

WCA
2009PARE02
A more secure Cubecomps

The administration part of Cubecomps (admin.cubecomps.com), is now under a Secure Sockets Layer -SSL-, which seamlessly encrypts the connection and prevents from eavesdropping.

Luis

WCA
2009PARE02
New Eco Mode

In eco mode, traffic in the RESULTS page is minimized.

Your bandwidth is used exclusively to upload scores. The score submission speeds up. However, the classification table in the RESULTS page won't be updated unless you exit this mode or force the page to refresh using your browser's features (usually pressing F5 key).

This is helpful in two situations: rounds with hundreds of competitors and when you're using a slow or paid connection (for example, data in your cellphone).

Regardless of the RESULTS page refresh be postponed, the scores are publicly available as soon as you hit 'submit'.

Last edited:

Luis

WCA
2009PARE02
A couple of new reports are available in the 'Classifications' sheet, inside the MISC page:

- Rubik's Cube winners by country
- National podiums (referred to the organizing country)

DanielH

cubecomps.com was down during the finals in Las Vegas. None of the sites on the same server (twisttheweb.com for example) was working so it seams that the server didn't handle all the traffic. If the admin-part of the site is on the same server there maybe be a problem for organisers if they are relaying on the site/system during a competition.
And it was rather disappointing to stay up long in to the night to follow the live results on a website that didn't work. It was working good all days before :(