• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] QJ Pyraminx

What do you think about the QJ Pyraminx?

• Excellent

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Above Average

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Average

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Below Average

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Poor

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for reviews of the QJ Pyraminx. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thompson

WCA
2008CLAR01
Where the puzzle was purchased: Cube4you and lightake
When the puzzle was purchased: Summer 2010
Thoughts on the puzzle: Very stiff out of the box. After lubing and some breaking in it can be very nice! Unfortunately, it starts to get loose very quickly after it peaks and just gets worse and worse. You have to buy a new one every couple of months if you are really into pyraminx. I voted average

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: pickegg.com
When the puzzle was purchased: ~october 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: It was pretty clicky at first but it's awesome after breaking it in. Almost broke an edge when I was disassembling it but it was my fault. I don't know why but there's a ball bearing missing (from when I took it apart?). My stickers were chipping within the first month.

Voted above average because it was better than some other pyraminxes I tried.

Unfortunately, it starts to get loose very quickly after it peaks and just gets worse and worse. You have to buy a new one every couple of months if you are really into pyraminx. I voted average

You do know they are adjustable right?

cubecraze1

WCA
2011OMAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where: Mr Tim Major (kubaroo)
when: just before ausnats i think
thoughts i had before felt an awesome QJ pyraminx from a friend so i bought one and it was no way near as good as my friends but 100x better then my Mefferts pyraminx

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
Where the puzzle was purchased: Lightake, Kubaroo and SpeedCubeShop
When the puzzle was purchased: Every few months since Feb 2011

Thoughts on the puzzle:
Very stiff when you first get it, but only takes a few days to break in. Once it gets good, it gets reeeaaaally good. Extremely fast and feels nice to solve. Unfortunately after a while it starts to wear out, it's still very nice to use but it starts to pop and just gets more and more unstable. If you're going to be using it heavily it'll need replacing regularly, if you don't really do pyra much it should last a while. Maru lube works well on them.

Side note: In my experience I've found that the tiled QJs tend to be better than the stickered ones, I'm not sure why but they just seem to turn smoother. I always remove the tiles from my ones with a stanley knife and replace them with Cubesmith stickers.

I voted Above Average, the only thing that keeps me from voting Excellent is its lifespan.

Andri Maulana

WCA
2011SYAH02
YouTube
Visit Channel
You do know they are adjustable right?

Same problem with my QJ pyraminx. When it's new and lubed, it's very nice. But after a month it become loose and pop a lot.

I've tried open the caps to adjust the tension, but the caps was glued from the factory. After trying really hard, i only can open 1 cap.

Any suggestion how to open the caps??

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
Same problem with my QJ pyraminx. When it's new and lubed, it's very nice. But after a month it become loose and pop a lot.

I've tried open the caps to adjust the tension, but the caps was glued from the factory. After trying really hard, i only can open 1 cap.

Any suggestion how to open the caps??

I just hold on to a tip (top triangle) and pull.... like the corners of the tip, it hurts but it works.

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased:
- Cube4you, Lightake, puzzle stand at Euro 2010 and Cube depot.
When the puzzle was purchased:
- 2009, 2010 and 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle:
- It's okay :) (most of them suck though haha)

Alcuber

WCA
2010WHIT01
Where the puzzle was purchased: Lightake, CubeDepot
When the puzzle was purchased: June 2010, August 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: Needs a fair amount of breaking in, after that its good for a few hundred solves before it starts to pop and lock up.

mrpotatoman14

Where- Cube Depot Amazon
When- Summer 2011 September 2011 January 2011 (I've bought it from cube depot twice)
Thoughts- All had different feelings out of the box. My first a black stickered one was alright and got better with tensioning. My white tiled one was GARBAGE and I gave it to a friend who wanted it more than me. But, the most recent one a white stickered one was awesome out of the box. After tensioning it, it only became better. Since I've had a terrible one, decent one, and awesome one I voted average.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: DinoDirect
When the puzzle was purchased: March (I think)
Thoughts on the puzzle: Nice turning, cutting is good, and with a little modding, it corner cuts quite well and also reverse corner-cuts a little. Pops every so often, but a good puzzle overall.