• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] DaYan GuHong 3x3x3 Version 2

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Good

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Below Average

• Poor

• Total voters

BrainOfSweden

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for reviews of the DaYan GuHong 3x3x3 Version 2. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mirzon

Where the puzzle was purchased: Puzzle Addictions
When the puzzle was purchased: 1/24/2012
Thoughts on the puzzle: This puzzle is amazing. My main for the last year was a Godly Guhong (Guhong v1). Out of the box (with a little Izolube) the Guhong v2 was so smooth. It made my other Guhong seem second rate. The cutting capabilities are pretty good (45+). Also I have yet to have pop since it has the torpedo's in it. Weight wise it doesn't seem too different from the original. I prefer this cube over the Zanchi for two handed solves as it seems to require a bit more force to turn which I prefer with two handed (I prefer the Zanchi for OH). I would recommend this cube to anyone who really enjoyed the original Guhong.

byliu88

WCA
2012LIUB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: Speedsolving.com Puzzle Shop
When the puzzle was purchased: 1-31-12
Thoughts on the puzzle:

I write my review in comparison to the Dayan 5 Zhanchi, and the original Dayan Guhong. Thanks to Speedsolving.com Puzzle Shop for letting have a Guhong I for free.

SPEED
This cube is extremely fast, faster than my Zhanchi but just a hair slower that of the original Guhong. It is that way because the Guhong II has torpedos, which slow it down by just a fraction.

SMOOTHNESS
Another thing is that this cube is VERY smooth, because of all of the fixed molding errors from the original Guhong. Its much smoother than my Zhanchi, while the original Guhong is crazy clicky and crispy.

POPPING
A large point to bring up is that this cube pops FAR less than the Zhanchi and Guhong I. In fact, it has never popped for me (I believe that I am fairly rough). I noticed that is was practically impossible to remove corner pieces, and edges pieces were fairly difficult as well, whereas in the Zhanchi I can just pop them out with ease. The Guhong II somehow is faster though (which is good). In the original Guhong, pieces are very easy to remove.

OTHER IMPROVEMENTS
A small fix Dayan did was fixing the core. Screws go in crooked far less often.
Also, center caps are snug now (compared to the original Guhong where they would always be fallnig out), and haven'y fallen out for me ever.

NOTES/COMPLAINTS
Speedsolving Puzzle Shop sent me the original Guhong by mistake, but I emailed them (they emailed back in like 5 minutes) and they promptly sent me the Guhong II so there is good Customer Service here.
It didn't come with a Dayan logo sticker, and one washer was defective. The washer bit had to have been the manufacturer's fault, but I think the logo should've been included. I had a spare from my Zhanchi DIY set, so it was okay though.
Other than that, I can't think of any other complaints about the cube, or this shop.

CONCLUSION
Overall, the Guhong II is my favorite cube of these three, and my favorite 3x3 of all time right now. It has a smooth feel, so if you prefer clickyness I might go for the Zhanchi, which is clickier but pops more and is a tad slower. The original Guhong is pure speed, but pops more frequently (not usually explosions though). That is definitely the clickiest.

Last edited:

mitch1234

WCA
2010LANE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I made a video review of this cube, it may not cover all of the things that is wanted but it shows the performance of the cube. Hopefully you guys like it!

Tall5001

Premium Member
WCA
2011METZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
DaYan GuHong 3x3x3 Version 2 [Review]

[youtubehd]gRH4U3wtOj8[/youtubehd]

Time Stamps:
Intro: 00:00
Size Comparison: 0:30
Turning: 1:05
Corner Cutting: 2:06
Sticker Quality: 3:07
Pieces: 4:44
Pops and Lockups: 7:41
Speed: 8:31
Recommendations: 9:19
Conclusion: 10:41
Solves: 11:46

Get it here: http://lubixcube.com/Lubix_Cube/Purchase.html

Times: Rubik's cube
Feb 22, 2012 5:08:17 PM - 5:12:14 PM

Mean: 21.74
Average: 18.03
Best Time: 16.90
Median: 17.91
Worst Time: 37.71
Standard deviation: 8.00

Best average of 5: 18.03
1-5 - 18.47 17.71 17.91 (37.71) (16.90)

1. 18.47 F2 D R2 D2 R2 F2 D F2 D F2 D R' D' B' R B D' U F D' F
2. 17.71 R2 D F2 L2 U' B2 L2 U' R2 B2 D2 F U2 F L' D2 L2 B U' L F2 D'
3. 17.91 L2 B2 D B2 U' B2 U F2 D R2 D2 B' F D' L' D' F U F' R2 L U
4. 37.71 U F2 D L2 D' R2 F2 U' B2 U R' D2 B L2 D R' B2 L' F2 U2 L'
5. 16.90 R2 B2 R2 D2 U' L2 D2 U' R2 B2 U L' B L U2 L' D B D B F' U2

n00bcub3r

Where the puzzle was purchased:Cube Depot
When the puzzle was purchased:mid-february ish
Thoughts on the puzzle:great cube, fast speed, about average Dayan corner cutting. It feels much more different than the original guhong(smooth instead of clicky) even though it just had torpedoes added and slight, very slight rounding on the pieces.

XSLube

YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the cube was purchased: speedcubeshop.com
When the puzzle was purchased: March 12 2012 arrived March 15 2012
Thoughts:
It is my first speed cube, very good first impression. Smoother turning than the Zhanchi. Can't get the cube to corner cut over 15 degrees but that may be my fault in the building of my DIY or the tensioning. o_O hope it's the latter.
Some of the edge pieces don't fit together and there is a slight gap on the edge but i don't mind.
This cube does not pop for me. I am an extremely rough cuber and I am just learning how to use finger tricks so my turning is quite sloppy. Hasn't popped yet! I've had hard times taking out the edge pieces because of the torpedoes. :D
The center caps fit nicely, they stay on and I have to use a bit of effort to take them off!

cubecraze1

WCA
2011OMAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
where the cube was purchased: got it for free at a comp :p
when: Feb 2012 (melbourne summer)
Thoughts: Was a little slow and after lubricant it just became gummy. I prefer the V1 even though it pops. And now with breaking in this is my main speed cube.

Tristan97tfj

WCA
2012JONS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where:Lubixcube.com
When:A few days ago
Thoughts:At the start I didnt like it as much as my ZhanChi that I bought with it but with time it became better, it is less noisy and clicky compared to the ZhanChi. Overall a great puzzle.

Trident

First post- hi everyone! :eek:

Where the puzzle was purchased: Amazon UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dayan-Guhon...OGJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363287030&sr=8-1)

When the puzzle was purchased: 5 March 2013 (took 8 days to arrive from China)

Thoughts on the puzzle:

I too will write this review in comparison with the Zhanchi.

Although I've only had around 24 hours to break this in, I'm currently quite disappointed with the Guhong V2. My first Dayan cube was the Zhanchi (of course :p) and as a result I've been a bit spoiled in the speed department. The Guhong V2 seems to have traded speed for controllability, and as a result it feels like a beginner's cube. I've adjusted the tension endlessly but it hasn't made a difference; it's still much slower than the Zhanchi. It takes more force to turn, which I guess some people prefer but it's a bit disconcerting when you think you've upgraded to a smoother cube. That said, it does feel less clicky and seems to 'roll' when you turn the faces. It's a different feel to the Zhanchi; less clicky and rapid.

Corner-cutting is another area of disappointment, though it's certainly above the average for any storebought cube. Despite my endless tension adjusting I still can't get it to cut above around 15 degrees, something which the Zhanchi manages straight out of the box. As a trade-off, this cube hasn't once popped for me- and I'm normally quite aggressive. I guess this is a result of the torpedos and anchors.

It's also noisier than my Zhanchi, which seems weird given its smoother feel. It doesn't click; it's more of a constant scraping sound accompanied by springs (if you turn it slowly, that is). I'm waiting for my two Ghosthand cubes to arrive, hoping they're quieter.

Overall, then, I've been slightly disappointed, though I guess if you prefer the style I've described in this review it's the one for you. If you're looking for speed- stick with the Zhanchi.

P.S. sorry to revive a dead thread like this

CuberPowers

YouTube
Visit Channel
I realy liked it... it's my fave cube :( sorry my vid is so bad, was my first vid

Purchased: Icubemart
When: Dec 2012
Thoughts : BEST speedcube on the market

kschiew

Where: HKNowStore
When: January 2013
Thoughts on the puzzle: The GuHong V2 is definitely better than the V1, it's more controllable and the added torpedos have improved its anti-popping ability. I personally think that it is almost as good as my main ZhanChi, but my ZhanChi is just better broken in. I think that i can substitute the GuHong V2 to my main if my ZhanChi isn't in good condition anymore.

Spaxxy

WCA
2013COHE01
Where the puzzle was purchased: Amazon
When: July 14
Thoughts on the puzzle:
Even though I haven't lubricated or properly tensioned this cube yet, it is absolutely amazing. The faces are pleasant to turn, it has a nice, smooth feel, and it corner cuts extremely well without pops. Overall, this is my second favorite cube, coming in at a close second to my Shuang Ren.