• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should a beginner start with the best cube available?

should a beginner start with the best cube available?

• Total voters
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I buy a cube for someone I always let them do the choice, I tell them the pros and cons of various cubes I have, usually I let them try them, from Dayans to good cheapos for 3-4$.
From that the choice is theirs, most of the time they have jumped on the Guhong(They all picked stickerless since they don't care about competitions yet), I had one who bought a GH-II, but now he is thinking about upgrading to a Dayan.

One of the Guhong owners is casual, he don't care about times at all, while one has just started and is asking me for some advice from time to time, another one is considering getting a stickered, so maybe he got his eyes up for competitions...
If you buy an F-II you'll probably have to buy stickers also, which will increase the price a little. (but not much at all if you buy stickers at the same time or from a site with free shipping.)

Dayan is great for casual cubing too, and if they quit then they can simply sell it, since it's a rather popular brand today.

Good point. Didn't think about that.

Mini DS is cheap.

Just go to lightake (or anywhere) and select price lowest to highest on the cubes category. It's not rocket surgery.

I just don't shop too often. And I'm kinda lazy :p

But thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Should beginners use "beginner" cubes?

Greetings,

I realize that this topic has been discussed numerous times in the past, but I would like to see a discussion on the matter held in a low noise environment. IMO, previous threads led to battles of personal belief as opposed to leading to a possible conclusion.

My main concerns are health related. The store bought Rubiks brand 3x3x3 that I used for the first few months of my cubing endeavors almost put a halt to them altogether. I was suffering from serious pain and discomfort that made me contemplate giving up my newly found hobby.

For my part, I would like to see the following points discussed:

- Is it easier for an experienced cuber to get accustomed to "fast" cubes?

- Does using a stiff/locky cube help beginners learn turning accuracy?

- Does using a "fast" cube as a beginning cuber promote bad cubing habits?

Please share your opinions.

Regards,

Holger.

Last edited:

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No, I would argue that a cuber should use a good cube as soon as possible, there's no reason to build bad habits of wrist turning and hard/forceful turning on a Rubik's brand before switching to a good cube. That doesn't mean that the best cube for a beginner is a Zhanchi, but it very well may be. Some beginner's may get better times with slightly slower cubes since they may be a little easier to control/not pop (such as the FII or A3f or Guhong perhaps.) That being said, I'd advocate getting an excellent cube sooner, rather than later. Might as well get used to them now, rather than spending months perfecting your turning on a cube that you will eventually "out-grow" or want to trade up from.

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Define "Beginner cube".

The store bought Rubiks brand comes to mind, but the term is hard to pin down. I've often read members post that any cube that isn't considered to be one the best cubes at the time (lets call them inferior due to popular belief) are deemed "beginner cubes".

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
The store bought Rubiks brand comes to mind, but the term is hard to pin down. I've often read members post that any cube that isn't considered to be one the best cubes at the time (lets call them inferior due to popular belief) are deemed "beginner cubes".

Then the term is ill-defined and I don't think we should use it. I'd prefer we use "Worse cubes", and in which case I definitely disagree.

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
- Is it easier for an experienced cuber to get accustomed to "fast" cubes?

Probably not. It's likely easier to switch when you're slower as you're not extremely accustomed to a specific cube after thousands of solves.

- Does using a stiff/locky cube help beginners learn turning accuracy?

Probably not. It will just taint their turning style negatively.

- Does using a "fast" cube as a beginning cuber promote bad cubing habits?

No. Opposite is true. It's even in this site's FAQ ;)

Jackason13524

Dayan 5 Zanchi as a beginning cube.

My cousin just started cubing (he hasn't even memorized the beginner's method) and he ordered the Dayan 5 Zanchi because his Rubik's brand cube was really slow. I've never owned a Zanchi, but some people say they are not good for beginners. Is this true? Should he order another cube just in case he has problems with the Zanshi.

cubesonfire

WCA
2013MALI01
i have a kinda mixed answer. i believe that beginners should start with a good cube, but not a really good one like a zhanchi or guhong. ghost hands or maru should be perfect for a beginner.

CubezUBR

WCA
2013SAUN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
what about the people who buy stickerless zhanchis when they are sub 2 mins and then those people who use a rubiks till they are sub 40 then get a zhanchi (example). from what i have seen the people who wait turn out faster and better cubers. sorry i just had to post my opinion

aceofspades98

WCA
2013REYN01
what about the people who buy stickerless zhanchis when they are sub 2 mins and then those people who use a rubiks till they are sub 40 then get a zhanchi (example). from what i have seen the people who wait turn out faster and better cubers. sorry i just had to post my opinion

5BLD got sub 15 with a Rubiks brand. I think though people should get a wind or aurora because beginners don't have a lot of expeirience lubricating the core of cubes so they would be easier to work with without creating bad habits a rubiks brand would but still being fast.

pedrocube

First speed cube for a beginner?

Hi, I'm new in cubing (just few weeks) and here in the forum.
I cube just for fun and I'm using the basic layers method. However I would like to get best solve-times and learn more algs/methods/tricks.
The cube I'm using is old and VERY hard to turn; so I have to buy a newer one.
I'm searching for some suggestion because:
- i hate pops, i prefer a "stable" one
- i would like to buy a fast but controllable cube
- i would like to buy something well-made (i often read about bad stickers for example)
- a good allround (i still have to build my preferences in cubing)

Thanks to everyone will contribute.
Bye!!!!!

Blurry

Hi, I'm new in cubing (just few weeks) and here in the forum.
I cube just for fun and I'm using the basic layers method. However I would like to get best solve-times and learn more algs/methods/tricks.
The cube I'm using is old and VERY hard to turn; so I have to buy a newer one.
I'm searching for some suggestion because:
- i hate pops, i prefer a "stable" one
- i would like to buy a fast but controllable cube
- i would like to buy something well-made (i often read about bad stickers for example)
- a good allround (i still have to build my preferences in cubing)

Thanks to everyone will contribute.
Bye!!!!!

A good starter would probably be a Dayan Zhanchi - It was a brilliant one for me, It gets you used to moving faster and executing algorithms faster but still being able to maintain grip and being controllable. I would totally recommend you it!