• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Thread approval

AustinReed

WCA
2011REED01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've seen SOO many of these stupid little threads that probably make many people irritated, along with mods closing them/deleting them. I think something needs to be done about it. One of my ideas is that a mod pre-reviews a thread before it is posted. While this is very inefficient, it would remove all the stupid threads that pop up on this website daily.

Any other views on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm not saying that we should ONLY do thread moderation, that's just a quick brainstorm of mine. I wanted YOUR ideas about what we can do to fix those situations.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear from the beginning. :3

Last edited:

aronpm

The moderator coverage isn't large enough. There are times when there can be no moderators available for several hours.

AustinReed

WCA
2011REED01
YouTube
Visit Channel
^^^ Example: The Chicken threads :-/

I'm usually up around the later hours since I'm on western side of the U.S. I know that most of the people on the Eastern Coast are probably asleep at that time, such as some mods. We went for well around an hour with no response from anyone. That's why I think that something should be done.

I'm not saying that we should ONLY do thread moderation, that's just a quick brainstorm of mine. I wanted YOUR ideas about what we can do to fix those situations.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear from the beginning. :3

AustinReed

WCA
2011REED01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This idea has come up before, and it was generally accepted that there aren't enough mods for this.

:p

How many are there approximately?

Maybe we could consider just certain sections of the forum being moderated thread-wise. For example, the Constructive Speedcubing Discussion section. :p

We wouldn't have to worry about deleting them ASAP if you kids stopped posting in the damn things when they cropped up.

There's the other thing I was just thinking about.
[Thinks about solution]

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great idea. I was awake when the chicken thing happened and had my fun with it. The threads are started by newb users who dont learn their lesson after the first useless thread. Flyingfingers seems to be the most recent one. And i will admit that everytime i see one of his threads i click it to see if its worth spamming just because his threads are useless. But usually their closed already. This topic has been discussed many times and nothing gets done.

AustinReed

WCA
2011REED01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great idea. I was awake when the chicken thing happened and had my fun with it. The threads are started by newb users who dont learn their lesson after the first useless thread. Flyingfingers seems to be the most recent one. And i will admit that everytime i see one of his threads i click it to see if its worth spamming just because his threads are useless. But usually their closed already. This topic has been discussed many times and nothing gets done.

About spamming: No. Absolutely not.

Like people said, not enough mods.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel

You assume too much or are poorly informed.

Also, stay on topic. If you think we don't like you, then we probably don't.

aronpm

Your "fun with it" was one of the reasons why it didn't die and fall off the front page. Thanks a lot for that.

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I dont think all new threads should be moderated, only the ones by new and trouble making users. As Austin said there are not enough mods and most especially between the hours of 10 PM to 6 AM EST. I am on the forums constantly and am always on from 11 PM to 2 AM and sometimes longer. During the school days I check the forums occasionally when I am in a wifi area of the school.

I am not asking to be a mod but there does need to be more of them.

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I dont think all new threads should be moderated, only the ones by new and trouble making users. As Austin said there are not enough mods and most especially between the hours of 10 PM to 6 AM EST. I am on the forums constantly and am always on from 11 PM to 2 AM and sometimes longer. During the school days I check the forums occasionally when I am in a wifi area of the school.

I am not asking to be a mod but there does need to be more of them.

They should work out a time schedule. Have mods on as long as possible and have very small sections of time when their off. But this means more mods....