• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Colour Neutral Deliberation

Luke8

WCA
2017MYKL01
Sorry for the bump, but I am about a 30 second solver, is is worth it to learn to be color neutral?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for the bump, but I am about a 30 second solver, is is worth it to learn to be color neutral?
Well recent records seem to suggest so though this might be because those who can be bothered to be colour neutral are those who would put more effort into cubing so it's basically a chicken and egg situation.

Though just to be safe it is probably better to be CN.

Luke8

WCA
2017MYKL01
Well recent records seem to suggest so though this might be because those who can be bothered to be colour neutral are those who would put more effort into cubing so it's basically a chicken and egg situation.

Though just to be safe it is probably better to be CN.

Thanks1

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
After reading through this thread, I've honestly recanted my original opinion that color neutrality is for-sure a good idea; I was of the opinion that even people like Mats Valk should at least try color-neutrality in order to reap is occasional benefits. (I figured people like Valk wouldn't learn color neutrality or really like it, but I still thought everyone should at least give it a shot.)

Now, I think that Valk would probably find the ordeal to be a waste of time... for him. This is because I feel that color neutrality is not like a method; anyone can, and should, put the time into learning the main, big methods in speedsolving. There is no reason not to learn (or at least learn about) CFOP, Roux, ZZ, and Petrus (and maybe a few others); they are simply different enough to give you an idea of how the cube can be solved in meaningfully different ways. This allows you to pick a speedsolving method you're comfortable with... or just give up on speedsolving!

Rather, color neutrality is like ZBLL: it's not truly known whether it's faster/more efficient to learn it in its entirety, as both people without ZBLL (like Max Park) and people with ZBLL (like Feliks Zemdegs, Jayden McNeil, and Jabari) have achieved similar, consistently fast times. Sure, we can claim that one is faster than the other because of this or that, but we truly don't know! Only time will tell whether the color neutral solvers or the single-cross solvers will be faster... or if they'll continue to be about the same speed!

I'm always interested to hear what kind of cross-color and method people use nowadays... you never know what kind of solver will get to the top one day.