• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Probability of this...

ShadenSmith

WCA
2008SMIT01
So I was just doing some cubing and on 3 consecutive scrambles I ended up having an identical final CE pair (case, that is. not color), OLL, and PLL.

What is the probability of that happening? Does that happen more often than I think and just don't notice?

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Consider the same slot for each.
Assuming random state at LS makes:

4/(5!*4!*3^4*2^4)

(AUF before last slot)/(number of states)

The chance for any LS+OLL+PLL matching the previous is thus 1/933120.
The chance for 3 in a row is the square, 1/870712934400.

However, I'm nearly certain you did different AUFs before OLL and before PLL, so multiply these by a factor slightly less than 16 and 256, respectively.

ROOT

im only in algebra i have no idea what ! or ^ means in an equation. i prefer equations over everything else in math, but thats high school stuff i bet

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
ROOT, We use ^ for exponentiation in forums like this because there's no way to do a superscript exponent. It's how it's done in many programming languages also.

gboh19

YouTube
Visit Channel
(firstly sorry to necro a thread)anyway,

I made some solves (just now hehe) and.. i do not know what the probability of this happening to some :p

3x3 scramble from cct

1. 17.48
2. 19.98
3. 17.48 ! (first happening)
4. 19.98 !! (second happening :p)

hehe :p

Novriil

WCA
2009KRUU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
heh :D My friend solved a cube. What's the probability of that? And btw he don't know how to solve it and he turned it first time of his life :D It was totally scrambled cube.

Did you actually see your friend solve the cube?

Yes I did. The cube was scrambled and he tried to scramble it more. when he saw, that it was almost together. He tried to scramble so much that I could solve it but suddenly he made two moves and it was solved :eek: