• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Shengshou 4x4 and 5x5 mods?

samchoochiu

WCA
2010CHIU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can anyone one link me to the "best" mods of these puzzles? (ss 4x4 V3 and 5x5)

Also I do have an x-cube I love it, but I saw monkeydude1313's SS 4x4 in is recent parity video and it looked amazing. So I thought about getting one.

Do you guys think the SS 4x4 with the mod will beat the x-cube?

thanks!

Last edited:

mitch1234

WCA
2010LANE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Shengshou 5x5 Mods:

I just finished them and the cube is as great, as good if not better then my Modified V-cube 5.

As for the Shengshou 4x4, i'm not sure which version you have but if you have the V1 you should ditch it and get the V3 and do the Shengshou 5x5 mod. Don't do the extended mod because the corners are already very Dayan like. But if you don't want to ditch the V1 do this:

Personally the best 4x4 is the Dayan+MF8+Lanlan 4x4( you take the edges and screw+ springs from a Lanlan 2x2 and put them in the 3x3 inner core). You can also do the same thing with the Mini Dayan+MF8 and could get good results, but I have not tried a Mini so I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can anyone one link me to the "best" mods of these puzzles? (ss 4x4 V3 and 5x5)

Also I do have an x-cube I love it, but I saw monkeydude1313's SS 4x4 in is recent parity video and it looked amazing. So I thought about getting one.

Do you guys think the SS 4x4 with the mod will beat the x-cube?

thanks!

Just cause it looks amazing doesn't mean it'll suite you just as fine. Everyone has a slightly different cubing style.
I can say that the X-Cube is not worth the $30-40

samchoochiu

WCA
2010CHIU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Shengshou 5x5 mod worth it?

It seems that the full shengshou 5x5 mod is time consuming. Have you guys had an amazing result from it? I am not willing to put the time if its only going to help a little. I do have lock up problems during 3x3 part but I am assuming it will still break in.

Florian

WCA
2010KREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It seems that the full shengshou 5x5 mod is time consuming. Have you guys had an amazing result from it? I am not willing to put the time if its only going to help a little. I do have lock up problems during 3x3 part but I am assuming it will still break in.

I spend more than 10 hours on modding my 5x5 and every body loves it. Feliks is 25 seconds faster on my SS than on his. It is worth it.
10 hours sounds alot, but you can do it while doing other stuff e.g. TV, chatting with friends

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
I spend ~3 hours modding the corner-centers, wing-edges and corners, and it's less locky now. No one else tried my cube yet, and I also don't have a second 5x5 to compare it with, but my PB went down from 3:00 to 2:40
I'dd say it's worth it

Florian, do you have a video showing which parts you've modded?

MeshuggahX

WCA
2011ERIX01
I spend more than 10 hours on modding my 5x5 and every body loves it. Feliks is 25 seconds faster on my SS than on his. It is worth it.
10 hours sounds alot, but you can do it while doing other stuff e.g. TV, chatting with friends
What did you do to your 5x5 if you don't mind me asking?

axe97

i did it, and in my opinion it wasnt worth it. i did rush through it though, and it still took quite a while.

I find it hard to believe that Feliks is 25 seconds faster than when using his SS. wouldnt that mean he had like a 35 second 5x5 solve?

AndersB

Premium Member
WCA
2011BERG02
YouTube
Visit Channel
:p
i did it, and in my opinion it wasnt worth it. i did rush through it though, and it still took quite a while.

I find it hard to believe that Feliks is 25 seconds faster than when using his SS. wouldnt that mean he had like a 35 second 5x5 solve?

Feliks is doing like 1:25 with his cube...
He used Florian's cube at worlds.

mitch1234

WCA
2010LANE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
After doing to first mod, the cube was much faster and seemed to lock up less. After using it for a bit it was just locking up as much as an un-modded cube. After doing the "Extended" mod it was just amazing, passed my V-Cube because it is faster and locks up less. Just do the mods, its an amazing cube afterwards.