• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Reversing moves game

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Most of you have probably played this game, where you have someone do some moves on a solved cube and you try to reverse them. 4-7 moves can usually be reversed pretty easily, though I've done 8 and even 9 on one occasion. It just took me 15 minutes.

Of course, every time I play this game, my opponent eventually gets bored and gives me a fully scrambled cube and "conveniently forgets" how many moves he did, prompting me to stare at the cube for way too long before giving up.

Is there a way to easily determine if a cube is within a certain small number (say seven) of moves away from solved? The most obvious strategy in this game is to look for existing blocks, but your opponent can be clever and scramble in such a way to break up as many blocks as possible, or fully scramble a cube and then make some blocks to trick you.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a feeling there isn't an easy way to do this. My reasoning is that there are many positions that look like they should be solvable in few moves, since they are full of obvious blocks, but that still take 10+ optimally.