• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I suggest a "How to Get Faster Thread"...stickied.

Lotsofsloths

WCA
2007SAHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Lotsofsloths

WCA
2007SAHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Or we could just have a default kind of robotic post that automatically replies "practise" to such threads^^

Lol, that would be cool.
Let PJK write a program that searchs all the threads that looks for these keywords: Newbie, Noob, I, Newb, am, help, criticism.
Then automatically post "Practice", then close the thread.
efficient, but unrealistic :)

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Due to all of these thread like this one:
http://www.speedsolving.com/showthread.php?p=40884#
and this one:
http://www.speedsolving.com/showthread.php?t=3362
(not to metion the countless others I haven't linked)

I propose a help thread for beginners-advanced that will help them increase there times.
I was thinking of making the layout a little like this.
But then again, it can be editied by more advanced speedcubers than I.
If you want to type up a rough draft, I can edit it, and we can make a post about it. I will then sticky it in the beginners. Sounds good to me.

Lotsofsloths

WCA
2007SAHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
lotsofsloths said:
1:30+
Use Tucker's Beginners Method,
to acheive an average of 1:00-1:19.
If you are still stuck, follow these tips:
Try to reduce Pauses.
Lube your cube.
Decrease Last layer times.
You can decrease Last Layer times by improving yor recognition for each case.
Est. Time: 3 Weeks

1:00-1:19
Once you acheive these times;
I strongly suggest you learn 4 look last layer.
Once you goto that link, DON'T learn F2l!! Just learn the last layer part of it.
This includes:
Edge Orientation(2)
Corner Orientation(1-7)
Edge Permutation(1-4)
Corner Permutation(1-3)
Est. Time: 3 weeks - 2 monthes

40-55
I suggest from here that you know learn F2l.
This WILL increase your times at first, but in a couple days it should decrease your times GREATLY!
Now, practice your F2l.
Est. Time: 2 weeks

30-40
I know suggest that you learn ALL THE PLLS!

Est. Time: 2-3 Months

20-30
Work on yor F2l,
Possibly use the algs.
You should end up at 12ish F2l.
ALSO:
MASTER(sub 3) all of your PLLs and OLLs that you know.
Est. Time: 3-4 months

Sub-20
Learn all 57 OLLs, AND PRACTICE!
Est. Time: ?????

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How to get Faster with Fridrich By Dene Beardsley

I will first start with a brief note, by saying that the most important factor is practise. Regardless of how many algorithms you cram or optimise, it has been proven that a sub20 average can be achieved using a basic beginners method. More algorithms are useful to help with your understanding of the cube, and very importantly, your recognition, but these will not get you nearly as far as practise will get you. In spite of this, which is the best way to go about getting those times down, apart from practise alone? I have set out these steps to follow to help you on your way!

Step one: Achieve a sub-one minute average.
I first recommend getting sub-one minute before venturing in to the realms of algorithm cramming. This way you will have a general understanding of the cube and how it works, and you will find that the algorithms that you know will already be reasonably quick.

Step 2: Start corner-edge pairing. Sub50 average.
Because you will already have an understanding of the cube, it's time you put it to the test. If you can teach yourself what is known as "intuitive F2L" you will greatly broaden your understanding of the cube, and this will be good preparation for learning algorithms. It should be noted that at first your times will slow down a bit, but don't worry, keep working on it. You should be able to comfortably work your way down to a sub50 average.

Step 3: Learn PLL. Sub40 average.
Next you want to start learning PLL's. At first it might be hard, so find any algorithm that works for you, and spend two or three days working on it, and using it in your solves. Take your time at first, because when you first start to learn algorithms it takes time to sink in. You should be able to learn all 21 algorithms in 40-50 days, as it will get easier to learn new algorithms as you go along. I would not recommend trying to cram algorithms early on, as you may get confused and forget a lot, however if it works for you then go for it! By the time you have all PLL's memorised, you should be averaging sub40.

Step 4: Lube your cube and start learning OLL!
By this stage, you may feel that friction is holding you back, so don't put up with it any more, lubricate your cube!
It is hard to specify in which order to learn the OLL algorithms, but to start with I recommend you learn the algorithms for the cases where all 4 edges are already oriented, and for when no edges are oriented.

Step 5: Sub30 average.
With your freshly lubricated cube and more algorithms coming in, a sub30 average should only be days away!

Step 6: Lookahead, finish OLL and sub20 average.
If you're under 30 seconds, progress is going to slow down dramatically. What can you do to reach sub20? Try looking ahead as you solve, learn those last few OLL's and possibly work on changing some of your slower algorithms (for PLL AND F2L).

Step 7: World record.
There is nothing to add here, just practise your life away.

Last edited:

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
hmmm this would be a great post to make if Fridrich was the only fast method. I think the steps should be made more general so that a new member of the forum will not be biased into picking Fridrich simply because it is shoved in their face by everyone and its all they know. If we made a list for each method it would still limit people to the lists we have made so maybe something more general such as :
Step 1: Practice your beginner method
Step 2: Go to this list of sites and pick an "expert" speedcubing method
etc.
I don't know how it would go since all the different methods branch off so much...

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Perhaps each step can include sections for the different methods. A post that includes all the methods with the pros/cons to each and gives a general idea to each would be nice. If someone would be interested in doing that, please do.

alexc

WCA
2008COOK01
Perhaps each step can include sections for the different methods. A post that includes all the methods with the pros/cons to each and gives a general idea to each would be nice. If someone would be interested in doing that, please do.

Working on it, I'll post a little bit of it here when I finish a few methods.

alexc

WCA
2008COOK01
Pros and Cons of Different Methods

Fridrich

Explanation: First, you make a cross by solving the edges on one face. The second step is to finish the F2L by solving a corner/edge pair together. Then, you orient the last layer. (Make the last layer one color.) The last step is to permute the last layer, where you move all the pieces in the last layer to their correct spots. The full method uses 119 algorithms.

Pros: Relatively easy to understand when compared to other methods. It is the most tested and most popular method. Has a reasonable number of algorithms to learn and optimize. Sub 15 averages definitely possible.

Cons: Learning all of the algorithms takes some time. Requires a lot of practice to solve the F2L consistently in 10 seconds or less. Slightly higher move count when compared to block building methods.

Places to learn it: http://erikku.er.funpic.org/rubik/
http://www.solvethecube.co.uk/
http://www.cubestation.co.uk/cs2/index.php?page=3x3x3/3x3x3
http://www.cubefreak.net/speedcubing.html

Petrus

Explanation: You first build a 2x2x2 block and then expand it to a 2x2x3 block. You then orient the remaining edges and finish the F2L. Unlike Fridrich, the last layer is done in three steps instead of two. First step is to move the last layer corners to their correct positions. Second, you orient the corners. Lastly, since the edges are already oriented, you just have to move them to their positions. You can learn the method with as little as three algorithms. However, eight algorithms are needed to use the method as efficiently as possible.

Pros: Uses fewer moves than Fridrich and most other non block building methods. More intuitive than Fridrich and requires far less algorithms.

Cons: Sometimes hard (especially for a beginner) to optimize block building. Hard to keep consistently turning throughout a solve.

Places to learn it: http://lar5.com/cube/

Let me know what you think. I'm also planning on adding VH, ZB, Roux, maybe Joel's beginner solution, and Heise maybe.

Last edited:

alexc

WCA
2008COOK01
Last layer is done in three steps instead of two.
You can do it in as many steps you want. Learning 2-look LL is much easier than for Fridrich so I think it's a bit weird to say that.

I'm saying that if you want to use "pure" Petrus you would do the LL in 3 steps. Of course you could combine petrus f2l and fridrich ll, I think some people do that.

Johannes91

I'm saying that if you want to use "pure" Petrus you would do the LL in 3 steps.
Yes, many people say that. But even Lars Petrus doesn't use 3-look LL and he has several more advanced alternatives (5+6, 6+7, 5+6+7) on his website, so I think using them can still be considered "pure" Petrus.

Lotsofsloths

WCA
2007SAHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So much brainstorming in this thread!
In a couple more useful posts, we could have an awesome guide!
IMO: I think we should get a cuber whom has most pefected the method they use, for example, a sub 15 Fridrich user should write a guide for advancing in Fridrich. And a sub 15 Petrus user should make a guide for Petrus, do you see what 'm getting at?

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree. I think Johannes will end up writing most guides for the block-building methods :)
and yes it is kinda hard to say what Petrus LL is because there are so many options.
It seems we have moved away from step by step how to get faster and are just describing methods now.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well I wouldn't claim to be an expert at any method but if someone wants to take my draft and modify it or add to it or whatever then go ahead. It would definitely be best to get somone who is very fast to do it, as I have little experience in that area :p

Lotsofsloths

WCA
2007SAHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree. I think Johannes will end up writing most guides for the block-building methods :)
and yes it is kinda hard to say what Petrus LL is because there are so many options.
It seems we have moved away from step by step how to get faster and are just describing methods now.

Petrus F2l
->COLL EPLL
->OLL PLL
->2Gen LL=EPCOLL=The Epic Method(first 3 letters)(lotsofsloths.co.nr)