• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Umbrella - Pyraminx Solver

JustinJ

Premium Member
WCA
2008JAFF01
To my knowledge, there weren't any great ways of generating pyraminx algs outside of ksolve or Jaap's solver, neither of which is very user-friendly, so I decided to make one.

Umbrella
Screenshot:
KA8n6.png

It also kind of functions as a sim, it has keyboard controls, although there's no rotations or timer, so they're more useful for setting up cases quickly or trying algs out.

I know it works in Firefox and Chrome, I haven't tried anything else, but as long as you're using one of those you should be fine.

It gets a little slow when the states get closer to the maximum depth (10,11 moves) but it shouldn't be too bad, especially because I think those states are unlikely to come as part of a speedsolving method.

Last edited:

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't tried it yet, just a small suggestion: Draw a border around the selected color instead of changing the color. That should make it more clear which color is actually selected (and might even clean up your code).

Last edited:

JustinJ

Premium Member
WCA
2008JAFF01
Nothing happens when I click "show" for the instructions

Firefox

P.S. Javascript is enabled

That's really weird, it works for me in Firefox :/ if everything else works, the instructions are kind of unnecessary, so you should still be able to use it fine if you want to. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Another small thing: Pressing the spacebar scrolls down the page in many browsers. You should prevent that by calling e.preventDefault(). Sorry for not being really helpful only nit-picky. :p
No, that's great :p I didn't realize it was that easy to stop that from happening, thanks again!

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Needs an option for blank pieces. Not even blank stickers, just blank pieces. I think all the steps preceding l3e are the ones that need the most development, and being able to ignore l3e while generating algs is essential.

Other than that it is great!

JustinJ

Premium Member
WCA
2008JAFF01
I can generate "Invalid state specified."
Are you sure you specified a legal state? It needs to be able to be reached by just making turns.
I can not change to any color.
Yeah, sorry, I'll allow changing the colour scheme when I get a chance, but if you really want it I can just upload a version with a different colour scheme, if you want to let me know the colours you want.
There is no option "irrelevant field".
I added the option to ignore pieces, you can right click or apply it as a colour.
Not working on Opera.
I'll look into that, for now you'll just have to use Chrome, Firefox, or Safari :/
Thanks for the program :D
:D

Needs an option for blank pieces. Not even blank stickers, just blank pieces. I think all the steps preceding l3e are the ones that need the most development, and being able to ignore l3e while generating algs is essential.

Other than that it is great!
I gave it a shot, it's a bit slower for non-complete states, but that's mostly balanced out by the fact that the non-complete states take fewer moves.

Also, it's only for edges right now, I'll do centers too soon.

Let me know if there's anything else that would make it better that I haven't mentioned here.

Also, is anyone else having the same problem as Antoine in Firefox?

It works on safari.

Thanks.

mrCage

Idea. You may or may not consider a flash version. Maybe it's too much work, but will get rid of browser incompatibilities :)

Per

JustinJ

Premium Member
WCA
2008JAFF01
So I tried to make it a little prettier, and you can get suboptimal solutions now, if you want.

Here's a link and a screenshot:
KA8n6.png

It's still not quite where I want it, but it's getting there. :p

Last edited:

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
wat wat wat :OOOOOOOOO

I generated maybe 50-60 algs (3 out of 4 sets) for a method that I learnt roughly 20 algs on, and now I've forgotten them all. Generating algs was ridiculously painful. There was a program Odder used and gave me, but I couldn't get it to work.

Edit: works in chrome, (which you already knew), the picture is a little gross, a bit annoying to visualize. Can you make look like this? Much easier to visualize. http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/javascript/pyraminj.htm

Edit: I just tried it as a sim, it's awesome. I could never get the hang of jjsim for pyra and it glitched sometimes. Has qq made a sim like this? (qsim for pyra)

Last edited: