• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Top 99 Things All Cubers Should Know

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm trying to compile the top 99 things that all cubers should know. As much as we advanced in terms of communication and discussion, we still get some pretty ignorant cubers within the community that are, well, lacking in knowledge. And so I come to you fellow cubers! What would you like every cuber (at least on this forum) to know?

It can be
-Specific Cubers
-Fun facts
-Notable Solves
-Notable Official Competitions
-Methods
-Algorithms
-Specific Hardware
-Advancements in modding
- AND MORE!

It can't be
-anything about forum etiquette.
-memes

I will request that if your topic contains a wiki article, youtube video, another thread, to please post a link with your content.

I'll update this post once I get some responses. And note that these 99 things don't really come in any particular order.

H

Hershey

Feliks Zemdegs might be fast, but there are many other great cubers too.

unirox13

- Go slow, Look ahead!

After browsing the forum for a few days it seemed almost cliché because I'd seen it so much. But the statement is a helpful one. After only 2 days of practicing slow controlled solving and serious look-ahead I had dropped 1 second from my times and they've continued dropping since.

- Use the search function.

Chances are you aren't the first person to have an issue with the cube you're using, infact, 'tis likely someone may have had and already been helped to solve the exact same problem. Searching both google, and the forum using a couple of different phrases or techniques for saying what you're looking for will help reduce forum clutter and increase your sanity.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How to do freaking commutators. Seriously.

Thibaut Jacquinot had the first official sub-10 solve, with 9.86. Most people don't know this for some reason.

Anssi used to be super good at 3x3x3 2H, he beat Macky's 1.5 year old WR twice in one comp, eventually besting it by 1.3 seconds.

All the stuff that happened with Matyas that I am too lazy to type out.
Same for all the stuff with Haiyan and Sebastian PC.

3x3 no inspection and a few other things used to be official events. Someone who's been around since the early days might know better than me.

Chris Hardwick used to be number 1 at OH and 4x4x4 speed.

FRANK MORRIS

Brief history of 2x2 CLL- Thom Barlow held the UWR 2x2 average some years ago, using only layer+CMLLs that he knew from Roux. Łukasz Ciałoń was the first to get an unofficial sub3 2x2 avg12, also the first to do so on video. He was the first person to get really fast with CLL, people used to think he had to know hundreds of algs to solve as fast as he did. For a while, Łukasz and Edouard Chambon fought each other for the WR avg, both with CLL (Edouard used white layer only!) Later, Rowe learned CLL and went about destroying the current UWRs, eventually getting WR and greatly popularizing the method.

Moar later perhaps.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Definitely something to clear up the recurring confusion about parity when speedsolving a 4x4x4 or larger cube (really any puzzle with parity).

"Parity" is a poorly chosen term that we're stuck with to describe an odd permutation parity (often of the wing pieces on a 4x4x4 or larger cube).

Also, OLL parity in the reduction method (an odd permutation of the 24 individual wing pieces after the centers have been solved) is not caused by the centers. It occurs from one of two scenarios happening:

1) The scramble uses an odd number of inner layer quarter turns to scramble the cube (giving wings odd parity). Your solution to the centers uses an even number of inner layer quarter turns (leaving the wing parity odd).

2) The scramble uses an even number of inner layer quarter turns to scramble the cube (giving wings even parity). Your solution to the centers uses an odd number of inner layer quarter turns (changing the wing parity to odd).

Lastly:
PLL parity (having the permutation parity of the corners not match that of the 12 dedge groups) is not strictly a "parity" for the 4x4, 5x5, etc.. Having two dedge groups swapped is actually two double-swaps of the individual wings that make up those dedge groups (an even permutation).

PLL parity is only a "parity error" when you "view" the reduced cube as a 3x3x3. PLL parity occurs during the dedge reduction step. When pairing up the 24 wings into the 12 dedge groups, no care is taken to make sure that the 12 dedge permutation parity will match the corner parity. Exactly half the time the parity of the dedges will match that of the corners, and exactly half the time the parity of the dedges will not match that of the corners.

Last edited:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Technically OLL parity is PLL parity, you're just swapping 2 pieces :p

If you're referring to OLL parity technically being a "parity error" relating to the permutations of the 24 wings, then yes I agree :) In this sense, yes "OLL Parity" would be more aptly described as a "permutation parity" than as an "orientation parity". Sadly we're stuck with the names we have, and I feel those misnomer names lead to the confusion about parity.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
-What Sledgehammer and Sexy Move are.
That multicoloured cubes like the dayan 6 colour ones can't be used in competition.
How Ao5 and Ao12 are calculated.
Leaning a new method/technique will make you slower at first until you get used to it.
That petroleum based lubes will melt the cube plastic.

Last edited: